Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

Yay Bon, well done! Hope you get in.

Hi everyone,

I'm a SAHM of 4 and have always wanted to be a midwife, but i never tried to do anything about it because i was having my own family.
    I have decided that ive been putting it off for too long now and should just go for it. I was wondering if there was a course i can do which is just midwifery? I'm not that keen on doing nursing first, but may have to grin and bear it if i have to lol
    How old do you have to be to be considered a mature age student??

Thanks for your replies in advance

Hi Lea,

Congratulations on making your decision!

Plenty of Universities offer a straight Midwifery degree - most of the nursing Uni's offer a straight Mid. In most instances it is a 3 year degree.

From memory, a mature aged student is 21+ but check with the Uni you want to enrol in...

HTH and good luck!

MG

Hey Bon! Well done for applying!!

I am an external nursing student at CQU as well. Good luck with your application! If you are successful I just might see you at the Bioscience residential school next year!

Well I got in! And I have already enrolled in my subjects for next year, I am feeling excited about it all now! Hope I can remember my study skills...it's been five years since I did a uni assignment!

Hannah it's good to know someone else who is doing nursing at CQU! I might see you at the residential school...although I will probably go to Noosa for mine as it is closer

Congratulations Bon!!! Enjoy going back to being a student. Don't worry, it all comes rushing back.
    When I started, I couldn't stop reminiscing about life as a uni student and all the study skills returned...

I have deferred next year (couldn't cope with the idea of twins plus studying!) so I won't be seeing you at Res School after all. I *think* you can only go to the Noosa Res School if you are actually enrolled at Noosa Hub. When I went to my res schools in Rockhampton this year, we had people from Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney etc. I'm sure I heard something about the Noosa res school being for a specific type of enrolment only so you may have to go to Rocky after all. Don't quote me on this - I could have it wrong.

If you do have to go to Rocky - book your accommodation at Capricorn College (on campus) as SOON as you know the res school dates. It fills up really quickly but it's the cheapest thing around. They only charge about $60 a night and include 3 meals at the cafeteria and you'll be able to walk to classes. The cheapest motel you'll find in Rocky is about $60 with no meals and you'd have to have a car to get to the uni for one that price.

Good luck next year!!

Hi girls!

Just thought i would update you all on my BMID enrollment process...

I received a call from a lady at UniSA a few weeks ago. She told me that i had been offered a chance at Special Entry. This is where you do an assignment and are judged on that. I had'nt heard anything from them since that call and recieved word today that the Special Entry pack had been sent today. I am looking forward to getting it!

Has anyone else heard of this Special Entry?????

Should i get into the course, i am intending on coming down for the Sciences Workshop in Feb. So for those who live in Adelaide....Could you let me know of some accomodation that is close to the uni??? Pretty PLEASE!!!!!

TIA!!!!

Hi Sara,

Good luck!

When I was at UniSA, I would stay at the Director's Studio which is on Gouger street, about a 45min walk to Uni. I have a friend who is planning on staying at the Saville on Hindley Street. Anything within the CBD is close. My advice is to book early because accom books out very quickly. There are usually a LOT of students going over at once...

HTH

MG

Thanks MG!

Do you have any idea on costs??? I was searching the UniSA website i noitced they said that you can get temp accomodation on-campus for $50 a night. I might have to look into it.....

Sara, wow tht sounds promising. I havent heard of the special entry thingy. Good luck! Do you know when they'll tell you if you got in or not?

Hi Sara,

I've not heard of oncampus accom. Which campus was that at? My friend is currently enrolled at the Uni and hasn't heard of it either... she is at the City East campus which is where I was.
    My friend got a quote today for Saville which was $150 per night. From memory, the Director's was between $90 and $120 but depended if you went for the motel or back packer sect... I've stayed in both and both are fine, comfy and very secure. The backpackers were individual rooms just like a hotel but at the back of a pub. Secure entry to a corridor that lead to rooms and then a typical motel door.

Karina - Nah i don't know when i will be told if i was accepted or not. I suppose it might say somthing in the pack that i get. I was wondering the same thing. I sent an email back to the Uni today asking if there was a time limit on the Special Entry and when i would know if i got in or not. Hopefully it won't be too long before i know!

MG - This is what is say on the UniSA website, i am not sure if just anyone would be able to use it though....

Temporary accommodation

UniSA Accommodation Services are able to book short term backpacker-style accommodation on your behalf when you first arrive in Adelaide. However, you should book hotels and serviced apartments directly with the providers because in most cases they will require a deposit for bookings. The accommodation providers generally will expect you to pay for your 6/7 night stay in temporary accommodation upon arrival, and any refunds are to be negotiated with the provider. Availability of accommodation can vary, so you are advised to book early. Costs may change without notice.

Note: UniSA does not own or operate these accommodation facilities, does not provide any oversight of the property or property manager and does not accept any liability in relation to the property and property manager. For further information on any properties please contact the managers directly.
    I will just have to email or give them a call soonish i think. Thanks for the prices. I will also have to get on to them. I spse i will find the numbers in the Yellows Pages....Thanks HEAPS!!!

Talking Congratulations!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Should i get into the course, i am intending on coming down for the Sciences Workshop in Feb. So for those who live in Adelaide....Could you let me know of some accomodation that is close to the uni??? Pretty PLEASE!!!!!

TIA!!!!

Hey - I'm living in Adelaide and am studying BMID at UniSA so thought I'd pop in to share some info.

For accommodation, you need to keep in mind that the BMID course is (as far as I know) run out of the City East campus only. This is on North Terrace in the city, and you can get busses to there from everywhere in Adelaide practically, so accommodation doesn't have to be right smack bang in the city. There are lots of great motels just outside of the CBD (have a look at wotif.com for places that aren't in the middle of the city). I can help you find one if you're a bit unsure about the geography!

I'm also happy to arrange to collect you from the airport and show you around Adelaide and to your accommodation, if you'd be interested and if I'm not at a birth or work that day... because I am nice, and because I know how daunting first year can be without it also being in a new city!

Quote Originally Posted by StudentMid View Post
    Hey - I'm living in Adelaide and am studying BMID at UniSA so thought I'd pop in to share some info.

For accommodation, you need to keep in mind that the BMID course is (as far as I know) run out of the City East campus only. This is on North Terrace in the city, and you can get busses to there from everywhere in Adelaide practically, so accommodation doesn't have to be right smack bang in the city. There are lots of great motels just outside of the CBD (have a look at wotif.com for places that aren't in the middle of the city). I can help you find one if you're a bit unsure about the geography!

I'm also happy to arrange to collect you from the airport and show you around Adelaide and to your accommodation, if you'd be interested and if I'm not at a birth or work that day... because I am nice, and because I know how daunting first year can be without it also being in a new city!
    OMG - How generous of you!!! That would be really REALLY helpful. I would love to keep in touch with you to let you know how i go!

Thank you so much. You don't know how much i appreciate it.

You're more than welcome Sara - I love your tag and usually I'm the generous type . I have several women due in February but I am more than happy to work around that at work and other commitments because starting as a new student in this course is hugely overwhelming!

Hello!

I thought I would pop in and say g'day! I was a nursing student, but have just been accepted to do the double degree of nursing/midwifery at University of Qld.

I am sure the venting here will come in handy!!!

Sara, do you know yet if you have been accepted into midwifery? I got accepted into nursing at unisa, so thats all very very exciting for me!

Hi Karina,

CONGRATULATIONS HUN!!!!

Not sure yet. I had a phone conference with them last week and then i had a message saying that i needed to add Nursing to my preference on SATAC. From this i am assuming that they are only going to give me a place in Nursing.

Did they say anything to you about transfering to BMID after you completed your first year of BNS??? T

Thats what they told me anyways. And from what i have also been told, there are 2 subjects in the BNS which as the same as BMID. These 2 subjects are meant to be the harder ones. I think they are like your Microbiology and stuff like that. I guess it kinda does'nt make a difference if you do BMID or BNS in your first year.

But yeah, have'nt heard anything for certain yet! I will let you know when i hear something.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast