Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

Hi Nina,

I studied externally through UniSA. I won't get into the politics b/w the difference of nursing and mid BUT will help you out with the placement thing...
    The FPO (Field Placement Office) will say they are affiliated with a hospital if they have placed a student at that hospital in the past. Sometimes a venue will host a student and then decide not to do it again. The issue with external placements is that often the hospital is hosting just 1 or 2 students from UniSA at a time which can be somewhat time consuming and draining for the educator. It usually takes the same amount of rescources and time as hosting 10 students from one University but they often seem to find it more difficult with just one student. Not sure why!
    Some hospitals are also reluctant to place interstate students for the fear that they will not have physical support from the University. The school provides a facilitator (someone from the Uni who keeps in contact with you to make sure you're ok, meeting learning objectives, being looked after by the hospital etc). For many rural and interstate students, support from the facilitator is over the phone and some hospitals prefer it to be in person. In recent years, the University has been trying to employ people closer to the students physical location so they can "drop in". This isn't always possible though.
    You may find that hospitals are less willing to talk and negotiate with the student themselves about organising a placement. I have heard several reports of this from current students. When I was studying, I never had any problems with the hospitals when I contacted them. If you contact the hospital yourself, ask to be put through to the UNDERGRADUATE coordinator. Explain to them that you are an external student with the University of South Australia living in Tas and would very much like to do a placement with that hospital. Some tips for being more likely to get positive response with that hospital are;

Be positive and polite.
    Have the proposed dates of the placement to give them but tell them you are flexible (it is not uncommon for students to do their placements "out of sequence" which means at a time other that the proposed Uni Dates. I never did mine at the proposed time).
    Have a basic idea of the objectives of the placement to give them and tell them the University will send confirmation paperwork with the contract which provides a full detail of the objectives as well as other important information for the facility.
    Tell them you have a keen interest in their hospital with a view to work their after gaining your qualifications (be prepared to answer questions though and have an understanding of their values and philosophies). If they think you're not just "using" them, you're more likely to get a positive response.
    Let them know you're excited.

They may not be able to provide you with a placement spot, but they might be able to help you get one at another hospital or give you info on wo might be able to take you. AND, they might be able to take you another year!!!!

Do be prepared that some venues will flat out refuse to talk to the student and will only negotiate with the Uni.

See if you can find other students from the Uni in Tas (there are a couple) and see if they can suggest some venues.

To try and get your follow throughs, talk to some of the people who conduct birthing classes and see if they are happy for you to give them some fliers to had out in classes. We had some handed out in my birthing classes and we contacted them.

Good luck!

MG

WOW lots of good advice floating around. Its great to read.

No word yet. I have been checking the SATAC website and nothing has been listed on it either. Are there another round of offers coming up??? Maybe they will post a letter saying wether i had been accepted or not. I wish they'd hurry up!

Yesterday i called James Cook University (I started BNS last year at JCU but had to defer) and they are going to email me my offer some time soon. So i have a couple of options to chose from. I will just play it by ear at the moment.

Sara theres another offer round eaarly Feb, so you might get it then. Did you add nursing or just leave it as Mid?

Thanks Karina,

I ended up going back to SATAC and adding Nursing to my preferences. I left Mid there aswell though. The Uni emailed me and asked me to add Nursing to my preferences so i am guessing this is a strong indicator that they are going to offer me Nursing rather than Mid.

Will you be able to get some credits for Nursing at unisa, from the study you already did at JCU?
    I'm sure you will definately get an offer for one of the two. Good luck! Dont feel bad if they offer you nursing instead of Mid. You did so well to get as far as you did and you can always do the subject that are in both degrees and apply again next time.

Hey MG,
    Did you study full time or part time? And do you know if you can do the subjects in a differnt order to what they tell you to, as long as youve done any pre-requisites for that subject?
    I want to do part time but I want to do the subjects in a differnt order to their part time study plan.

Hi Karina,

I did a mix of P/T and F/T over the course of my degree (I took longer than the 3 years). Yes, you can do subjects out of sequence so long as you meet and pre and co-requistes of the course. But keep in mind that 3rd year subjects have much higher expectations when submitting essay's etc (they figure you've been there 3 years so should be pretty good at it by then). When I studied, Nursing Research was a 3rd year subject but the skills taught are so valuable that my friends and I thought it should have been a first year subject. The subject was so dry and boring but really helps you for when you do other assignments. I know you're probably keen to sink your teeth into some nursing subjects, but do consider completing nursing research ASAP as it will help you when you go looking for info on other topics as well as helping you to REALLY understand all those journal articles!!!

HTH

MG

I got my offer but my DH and I have decided to defer.. Will see how it all goes in the next 12mths..

Thanks MG.
    I'm not sure which one is Nursing Reseach (there isnt one called that, that I can see) but i think i'll call the school on monday and see what they say or what advice they can give as to what to start with for someone who has never ever been to uni and doesnt know how to do proper research!
    The 3rd year subjects all have pre-requisites of the 2nd year subjects. What is a co-requisite? Does that mean you have to study those two subjects at the same time, or just that you have to study both of those subjects to make them both count, iykwim?

Blue, yay!! congrats. What are you going to be studying next year?

Yes, a co-requiste is a subject you have to study at the same time as another subject. The subject structure has changed slightly since I graduated (they combined some subjects) so this may no longer be an issue. Nursing Research was a "Professional Issues" subject from memory... will take a look at the UniSA website and see if I can give you the course code... just looked at the website and it seems they dropped it from the course...

Thanks so much MG. You are so helpful!
    Maybe they have put the nursing research one as part of another subject now.
    Also, MG (sorry! I will stop bothering you soon) Its a long long way off but I was wondering this.. when you finished did you have to register in SA then change over to Vic?
    Did you work in a hospital or some other facility while you were doing your degree (eg, as an AIN, EN or ??) and if you did, was it an issue because you were doing your degree throgh a uni in another state?

Karina, stop apologising. Ask as many questions as you want/need!

Yes, I had to register in SA first and then apply for recognition over here (not a drama - as long as you are registered in one State/Territory you will get registration in any other State/Territory). You have to register in the State you completed your degree before you can register anywhere else.

I worked in an AOD clinic whilst doing my degree and it was never a drama that I was studying through a South Australian Uni. I can count on one hand how many people study to be an RN in the State they practice as an EN in. Most of the Div 2's (EN's) I encountered on clinicals who were studying to be a Div 2 (RN) were actually doing their degree through Charles Sturt (in QLD). The hospitals don't care where you do your degree. Most Div 2's study to be an RN by correspondence and there are only 2 or 3 Uni's that offer it externally... and none of them are in Vic.

HTH!

MG

P.S. Just so you know, once you've completed ALL your first and second year subjects, you can become an EN in SA (you have to do a Mental Health placement over the SUmmer Break though) and then you can register in Vic as a Div 2 and work whilst you study... give you some good practical experience as well as some money!

Thanks once again MG. You are sooooooo very very helpful. I really appreiciate you answering all my millions of questions.

Thanks for the tip re registering as an EN. I might see about that (in a couple of years, lol!!). I would love to be able to work while doing my degree - i think i would feel a lot more confident in myself if I was able to practice some basic nursing stuff other than just on clinicals. And if I would get to do an extra placement, then even better!
    I checked the NSW nurses board website and it says you have to do the EN course (nursing cert IV at tafe or a traineeship through NSW Health and TAFE) to be an EN in nsw, but I suppose if I am able to register as an EN in SA after doing 2nd year of the degree then I could swap that over to NSW because it says that you can have it recognised in any state. The section about courses for EN/RN on the SA nurses board site is being updated and theres no info there currenlty. I hope they let me enrol as an EN in SA even though I dont live there.

again, thank you so much!

ninacadman Guest

Hi all
    Great to get so much good advice and encouragement )
    Studyingmumma - I really reckon it would be good for you to dig deep and finish the nursing, you're not that far off and remember you can always try and get work related to babies and women (gyni, neonatal wards, paediatrics etc). The other great thing about nursing is that it's so flexible - you can do short postgrad courses while you're working as a nurse and get into lactation consulting, child health nursing, community/family nursing, acute care etc etc etc, as well as midwifery of course. So much more flexible in the long term than straight midwifery (and although it seems unlikely now maybe in 20 years you would get sick of midwifery and want to move into one of those other areas for a change???). Also, I've heard there are offcampus postgrad mid courses through places like Deakin which are much shorter than in SA. Still, not an easy decision to make in any case. It's been really hard for me just deciding to get out of science (which I still enjoy and already have so many contacts in) even though I'm so keen on becoming a midwife.

MotherGoose - thanks so much for the tips on placements. I'm sure it's very similar in nursing and midwifery. I know what you mean about me being harder work than the local nursing and post grad mid students. Certainly the main public hospital in Hobart basically don't have the resources and worry about the work involved in having a non-nurse in the labour ward as it's just not something that's done here in Tas. Work is going to be hard to come by as well but if worse comes to worse I can get as much credit as possible for the midwifery degree and study nursing later. I also live in hope that things will change and become a bit more progressive here over the few years it takes me to complete the degree.
    I think I will do as you say and at least ring the hospitals (when I spoke to them last year I was very vague as I hadn't got into UniSA and didn't know much about the course). If they prefer to talk to the Uni then I'll leave the negotiations to them. Do you think it's better to wait till I'm enrolled and have more information on the pracs and just approach each placement block (there are two weeks of antenatal in first semester and then I'll be defering for 12 months) as a completely separate set of negotiations?? Ie When I first ring and tell them I'm doing the UniSA mid course do I just ask about the first 2 week placement rather than detailing other placements later in the course? Is it common to reach an arrangement where you do most of your pracs at the same hospital?? I know that the small private hospitals in Hobart already have arrangements with the big main public hospital where their students can do pracs there which the small hospital just can't cater for (eg neo natal intensive care). This would even be the case if the public hospital had said no when approached separately. As I'm in a small place there just aren't heaps of hospitals to choose from - I may only find one that is happy to have me!
    You mentioned that you know there are some Tasmanians at UniSA - any tips for how to get in touch with them??
    I will make sure I'm in a super polite, friendly and informed mood before I ring anyone!!
    Thanks again
    Nina

I will be studing a bachelor of nursing. as there is not a B Mid available near me. I'm not sure if it is available in NSW?

Blue, there is but it is at UTS so a bit far for you to go to from Forbes. ongrats on getting into Nursing though.

I saw my first birth last night and it has given me such an incentive to keep going! It was amazing, only a 4.5 hour labour (so short for a first birth!), completely natural and drug-free, no tearing and the baby latched onto the breast perfectly. I know it was such a perfect birth and it is not likely many more of the births I see will be the same but such a good birth for a first-timer like me! Aaah I am still on a high from it!

Nina - Wait until you are enrolled with the Uni and have an idea of when your placement dates will be before you contact the hospitals. They won't be able to make any defenitiv decisions until they have the dates. And yes, I wouldn't try to negotiate other placements until you have the dates and know you'll be studying that subject. I.e. I wouldn't try and negotiate 3rd year placements until I had enrolled in 3rd year subjects.
    Some hospitals do have arrangements with various Uni's and some have contracts saying they have to take a certain number of students per year. However, most hospitals take more students than that. It is best to just call the hospital you're interested in and say you are a first year mid student with the UniSA (once you have enrolled) and have to do a placement from dates A to B and would really like to do it at their hospital. Be prepared to answer (even vaguely) the kind of objectives the placement has...

To find other Tas Students, there are discussion boards for each subject - we always posted a little intro about ourselves at the beginning for each class at the beginning of each semester (even in 3rd year). This was how I always found people near me. You could also approach the course coordinator to see if they can tell you if any other students in your level are living in Tas. When I started, they actually emailed a list but not for 2nd and 3rd years...
    Sorry if I'm a bit vague or don't make sense - I've just come off a double shift...

HTH

MG

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast