Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

thanks for that info, MG. I've checked out the info on the site, but they say that most placements end up being in SA and that a student has to take that into consideration, so I don't think I'll go with Distance Ed. I'm thinking of maybe doing a childbirth educators course first, in fact. What are peoples thoughts on that?

Akeesha Guest

Hello Ladies,

I have a thread here called "I have found my calling but not sure if I posted my question in there it would get read...and it will here.
    I am facing a dilemma. The same dilemma I have faced 100 times over but I am just still so confuddled.

I want to apply to some uni courses but havent studied for years. I have three options.
    - To do my VCE and get a good enter score and apply to the uni's with this( didnt do VCE all thos years ago)
    - To do the Cert IV nursing course and then go on to do the nursing/midwifery
    - Just apply to all the unis I want...both nursing courses and midwifery courses AND double degrees and hope for the best.

What would you do?

Bear in mind I have not studied since finsishing Year 10 in 1995 and have not got any formal qualifications.

TIA

Would you get into the Cert IV nursing? That might be the easier way to go about it, unless you would like to get your VCE. You could apply at all the unis you want to go to but I am not sure how much success you will have, considering you don't have your VCE. It really depends on their entry requirements. I think if you want to go straight to uni, then you will be better off getting your VCE but if you can get into the cert course you can be studying nursing straight away.

Akeesha Guest

Thanks for the advice
    As a mature age student they do not require you have your VCE but do like you to have undertaken other studies as well as sitting a seperate exam.

I will get into a tafe course as I am mature age (26) and it is much less competetive. I mean of course there are no guarantees but I have a good shot as far as TAFE goes.

I just dont want to go applying to all these uni's and get knocked back. But if I have more study under my belt then I stand a decent shot. And if I have done the certIV course..then I may not need to sit the seperate exam they require (the STAT)

To be honest I am leaning more towards the Cert IV course. At least I will be studying nursing like you say.

Hi Akeesha,

You're right, a mature age student doesn't have to have VCE to apply for Uni. I am pretty sure that the Uni's (even though they like you to have some sort of qualification) look at your life experience and circumstances when assessing whether or not to accept you to the Uni. I note that you are in Vic... I am pretty sure RMIT focus on mature age students so perhaps give them a call and chat to someone in the school? I was going to suggest popping into the Nursing Expo but it has been and gone. You could go to Uni open days if they are still going (a bit out of touch with when they have those nowadays). You can always apply for Div 2 which is done through TAFE's and Uni's (the beauty of that one is you can often get a venue to "sponser" you which means you paid work, working as a Div 2 student as you study!) and then go on to do Div 1 but you *should* get credit for most of the first year...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MG

Akeesha Guest

Thanks Mother Goose,

Thats pretty much the thought process at the moment. I have been to the uni open days and spoken to heaps of ppl already and thats why I am facing these dilemma's. Becuase even though they 'say' they take you on life experience, when I get to speak to them face to face, they change their story which is very annoying. I mean I am sure ppl have gotten in before based on those reasons, I just would rather be more prepared when going in y/k?
    If I do the DIV 2 (cert IV) course then the nursing degree should only take me 2 years instead of 3 and then its just a year or so of mid on top. So it's not too bad. I am pretty sure I can do it that way happily. I have looked into all the different options, its just making the decision thats hard.
    To be honest I would rather do it the long way and give myself the best chance at getting in rather than hoping for the best and spending time and money on applications and exams and missing out. Which I may or may not...but it doesnt hurt to be super qualified right lol.
    I am only 26 (27 when I begin study) so I have a few years up my sleeve I guess.

Thanks for allowing me to vent here and for the advice.

Akeesha,

Just had a thought that might help you make your decision.... If you do your Div 2 I am pretty sure you can claim text books etc on tax when doing Div 1 (but double check witha tax agent first) and if you do the work as a Div 2 and study as a Div 2 at the same time method, your books and materials are definatly tax deductable. Uni fees are not though

Good luck! MG

Akeesha Guest

Thanks mother goose (havent been here for a while so havent seen the post til now)

I will definitely look into that. I know there are ways I can do a traineeship where I can work and study at the same time. I am definitely thinking about that one.

As for the uni fees..well I will go hecs (or hecs help as it is now called providing I get in when I apply of course)

I have actually spoken with a couple of uni's and they have recommended the cert IV course first so thats pretty much helped cement my decision. And if I dont get into uni right away..at least I can work in the meantime.

Fingers crossed I get a cert IV place. I reckon that is going to be much easier than a uni place for now.

Thanks again

monstermunch Guest

Hi, just found this site today and must say it's lovely to find an Australian site for those that are interested in Midwifery.
    Just a little info about myself, I am studying my last uni course for my nursing degree which I have studied externally at UNISA as its easier when you have 3 kids .
    I like many on here, am really interested in midwifery but took the nursing route as it opens up more doors so to speak.
    I intend to do my graduate nurse program part time next year and study mid at the same time, also part time. The post reg midwifery course has recently undergone some changes and is no longer offered over 12 months as they have increased the number of births that we are required to 'catch', so we now have the choice of doing it over 3 years or 18 months full time.

Hey Monster Munch, where abouts are you planning to study? I am going to study in Brisbane next year. Part time over one year.

monstermunch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear79 View Post
    Hey Monster Munch, where abouts are you planning to study? I am going to study in Brisbane next year. Part time over one year.
    Hopefully Flinders (South Australia) as they offer it full time over 18 months, although I intend to do it over 2 years. Unisa are only offering it part time over 3 years so I have my fingers crossed that I'll get into Flinders.

So you can study Mid for only 6 months full time in Brisbane?

i meant 2 years

monstermunch Guest

i meant 2 years
    lol,
    Haven't the rules changed in your state then, in SA they have increased the amount of births we have to do which has ultimately made the course longer?

Hi monstermunch! I'm also completing my nursing at UniSA this semester! Again, I have done everything externally! feel free to email me via the Uni directory. My "user name" is nitnl001 and I'm sure you know the rest!

MG

its a Masters Degree so im not sure. We have to do 20 births and 500hrs + of practical.

monstermunch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Hi monstermunch! I'm also completing my nursing at UniSA this semester! Again, I have done everything externally! feel free to email me via the Uni directory. My "user name" is nitnl001 and I'm sure you know the rest!

MG
    Thanks Mother Goose my user name is youej001. Do you have your GNP sorted for next year? Are you currently doing the dreadful PI4 course!!!

monstermunch Guest

its a Masters Degree so im not sure. We have to do 20 births and 500hrs + of practical.
    Sorry to bombard you with questions, does that mean you are already a midwife? I was under the impression that nurses had to do the post reg mid course to qualify, if not I think I'll look into that route.

Monstermunch - I am most certainly doing that disgusting subject! I am so so over it!!!! I haven't organised a GNP yet as I'm having a baby in the middle of Feb - right when most venues commence GNP. I've had a few venues make contact with me asking me to apply for a GNP with them but they all want you to start early in the year... I'll make contact when I'm ready to go back after the baby or apply for 2008. What about you?

MG

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast