Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

monstermunch Guest

Mother Goose, congratulations on the pregnancy, certainly an exciting time for you! I think if I were you I would apply in 2008, I think it would make life a bit easier for you.
    I'm going to be doing my GNP part time next year, I've managed to talk the coordinator into letting me do it three days a week. I intend to study midwifery part time next year so I didn't want to make life too hard.

where are you doing your GNP monstermunch? I'll be back at work in the middle of next year anyway and since I work in AOD I'm not so worried about a GNP right now. I will most likely wait until 2008 because it means I can start and finish at the same time as the majority of people etc. Have you been accepted into mid yet? Which Uni are you doing it at?

monstermunch Guest

I'll be doing my GNP at Modbury (Adelaide).
    What is AOD?
    I haven't been accepted into mid yet, I haven't even applied. I'm waiting to get this pi4 out of the way and then get on with my application, I need to submit an essay to get into Flinders. Unisa isn't really feasible for me next year as I won't be able to sort placements around my GNP. Flinders however is just theory for the first year if you do it part time so that fits in better for me although it is further away. So I am crossing my fingers that I get accepted into Flinders.

Hi everyone,

I only just noticed this thread. I'm thinking of enrolling in nursing at UniSA (external). I called them about doing it through Open Univerisity, but the said i wouldn't have any trouble getting in, and to apply directly. Then my FIL died, so i never got around to calling the person i needed to about the course.

I tried looking on the website about the course, but it wasn't very user friendly. Can anyone who is enrolled give me a bit of info about it, how many hours, how much work etc? Is it easy? I'm 3 subjects off finishing a science degree in genetics, but i'll never finish it so i would rather transfer and try and get credits for my life-science subjects.

Also, how many subjects do you do a semester, and how many of these have placements? How many hours are the placements? Are they accomodating if you have children etc, and how easy it is to take time off if i have more children?

Also, do i apply through SATAC? What is the enrollment procedure?

Oh, i also heard you have to be on campus for some part each semester? Is this true, how long is it for, is it on weekends or weekdays? Can you get out of this requirement (i live in Melb??).

Sorry about all the questions, i just would rather hear this from people actually doing the course, as i noticed with my B.Sci a big descrepancy from what i was told from the uni and what i found it like in reality.

Also, i wanted to do general nursing, and then specialize in midwifery later (more so i could work anywhere kind of thing). How much longer is the post-grad studies, and can you do it on the job IYKWIM?

Thanks!

Yael

I graduated from Nursing in 2002 and went straight into a Masters of Midwifery in 2003. I studied most of the course however I left with one subject to go to have my own babies. Silly silly silly! Unfortunately even though I did really well in my theory, I didnt do enough practical hours to be able to pass so I have to do the whole course again! ARRGHHH So I am going to do it next year. I am not sure what it is like where you are, but I am studying through Griffith University at Logan in Brisbane.

monstermunch Guest

Hi Yael
    Firstly you do have to apply via satac.
    I am just about to finish my nursing degree from unisa, however they are having a major overhaul on the degree program so I can't really tell you much about the new program.

This link should tell you a bit more about the courses http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/pro...IBNU&Year=2007

With regards to your previous study it may be better for you to complete the three course you have left that way you could enter the nursing degree as a graduate which will take you two years to finish instead of three. If you don't want to finish your degree you will need to speak/email the program director providing information about the courses you have studied so that they can work out how much credit to give you.

As an external, you only go to workshops that have a placement attached to it. The workshops (although this may change with the new program) usually run for two or three days which you have to attend. But that is all you need to come to Adelaide for, you can do your placements in Melbourne and also arrange to do your exams in melbourne also.

With regards to midwifery after, that is in the process of going through some changes. It is now an 18 months course, full time or 3 years part time.

Good Luck.

monstermunch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear79 View Post
    I graduated from Nursing in 2002 and went straight into a Masters of Midwifery in 2003. I studied most of the course however I left with one subject to go to have my own babies. Silly silly silly! Unfortunately even though I did really well in my theory, I didnt do enough practical hours to be able to pass so I have to do the whole course again! ARRGHHH So I am going to do it next year. I am not sure what it is like where you are, but I am studying through Griffith University at Logan in Brisbane.
    How annoying, its a bit rough that they don't give you credit for what you have already studied!

I know!!! But at least ill be ahead of everyone else. I should cruise through.....hopefully! I am just dreading leaving my bub for all that prac!

monstermunch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear79 View Post
    I know!!! But at least ill be ahead of everyone else. I should cruise through.....hopefully! I am just dreading leaving my bub for all that prac!
    lol. I know how you feel. I finished my practicum for my nursing degree a couple of months ago and while I was on my prac my youngest daughter went on camp, well I just burst into tears, felt completely stupid for doing so, but I was so worried as she's such a little daredevil I thought she was going to seriously hurt herself. She came home unscathed thankfully Its funny though as the nurse I broke down in front of knew exactly how I was feeling as her 18 year old daughter had just started driving around on her own, isn't it wonderful to know that it doesn't matter how old our little darlings get, we will still worry about them

Hi Yael,

I live in Melb and have done my entire degree from here with UniSA. Like monstermunch said, the Uni is overhauling the program for next year (don't freak, they do it every three years). I've only taken a very brief look at the changes (since I'm finished this year) and from what I can tell, the main changes are when you do rotations/placements and their duration. Previously you had one in 1st yr, 2 in 2nd, and 2 in 3rd. I believe that you now don't do any placements until 2nd year and it has increased from 3 weeks to 4 weeks. The next set of placements will be in 3rd year and there are two - one in each semester and are both 8 weeks long.
    A lot of subjects have changes in title so I can't tell you the work load. However, as a rule of thumb, the more units - the more work involved If you use the link monstermunch provided, you can actually click on the subjects and have a preview of what is involved. Of course there is the "recommended" work load and then the actual work load. Just depends on how you work. Some subjects are easier than others and some are just plain boring! In regards to gaining credits for your science subjects - unfortunatly you would have to apply to the school to request the credit - which you can't so until you get in. It would depend on the content of the subject you have completed and the content/aims of the subject you apply for credit for. In regards to splitting your subjects, you can pretty much pick your pattern and do a combination of 1st, 2nd and 3rd yr subjects providing that you meet any pre-requities and don't overload on the units. If you take a look at that link you can see the full time load and how many subjects are involved (and their units because that plays a massive role in the work load). Pick which ones you think you can manage for the semester and enrol in that. Once you have been enrolled at the school you can usually see exactly how much is involved (i.e. assignments etc) before enrolling in the course. If they change that you can always enrol in the subject and get the course materials sent to you (which they do for externals) or check it out online and then work out if you can manage it all. If you decide you can't do a particular subject you can drop it in the first few weeks (I forget how many) and you don't get slugged the HECS fee for it. Does that make any sense? The school is always good to talk to about what work load you should do. I've done that from time to time. Oh - and I have done pretty much all of my subjects out of order.

how accomodating is the Uni? Well, that depends on your perception. Some lecturers are better than others but you get that anywhere. I've never had any problems getting help/extensions etc. The university has a policy where you can apply for a extension of 7 days (providing it is 24hrs prior to the due date) and you will automatically get it no questions asked. Anything longer than 7 days or at the last minute has to meet certain criteria and be supported with documentation. You can also defer exams if you meet certain criteria. I have a friend who had exams deferred because she was having IVF. When Dad has his heart attack, they deferred my exams as well and I think that was about a week before I was suppose to sit the exam. You can take up to a year off at a time if you have more babies but you need to know that you have to complete certain subjects (they used to be called nursing context subjects but I'm not sure what they're called now) that you have to do within 3 years of completing the first one.

Placements are full time for the duration of owever many weeks you go for. When you find out where you are going try and contact the venue and let them know your preferred hours. Sometimes you have to wait until you actually start your placement to do that. You can't just chose your hours unfortunatly although most places are pretty accomodating if you explain why you need those shifts. I always have special requests due to CFA commitments and never have problems getting my requests. You do have to do a combination of early and late shifts over your placement with some facilitators being stricter than others. You don't do night shift until your last placement and even then it's pretty rare. I've never done a night shift and I don't know anyone who has on rotation. You won't do weekends until 3rd year. You can do all your placements here in Melbourne however my advice on that is to contact your preferred venue as early as possible (as soon as you get the dates for placement) and if they say yes, start hassling the school straight away to finalise the placement details for you. I know so many students who have missed out for that reason. Do be prepared to do your placement "out of sequence" which isn't always bad. Keep in mind that there are a lot of students here in Vic trying to get placements as well so for us to get them we have to get in early. I can recomend a couple of good venues if you need help.

On campus requirements are pretty simple really. If you have a placement you go back a couple of weeks before the placement (the "scheduled" time) and have a workshop. During this time you learn and practice your practical skills and also get some "hints" about exams. You also get to network with other students and meet the teachers. Whenever I'm there I go to a particular book store and buy all the little bits and pieces I want. I have some great wall "maps" which have helped. And I have my own sphyigmo and stethescope I've bought on campus. However, if you want cheaper texts and equipment, don't buy them from the Uni. There is another place in SA which is cheaper and gives more of a discount. They also charge no postage if you spend a certain amount. You can NOT get out of the workshops - they are a compulsory part of the course to pass. They are done on weekdays. You enrol into the workshop at the same time as enrolling in the class so you can check the dates well in advance. Most students at the external ones are from interstate. Actually - most are from Vic when I go! I always fly over and stay in the city. The cheapest place to stay is the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) but it is pretty crap. Everyone complains about it. There are other places you an stay that aren't too expensive. The Uni is in the city so you have heaps of choices. Cab fare from the airport is about $30 from memory. Workshops vary in length. When I started my first one was a week (but it was two subjects) and all others have been two days.

Exams - you can do them in Melb. You just need to fill in a form to let the school know what your plans are and who is invigilating (supervising). Invigilator's have to meet certain criteria. Most public libraries let you do it there and the librarian supervisers. There are places in the city you can go to but they charge a fee. I've never paid for mine. One of the docs normally does it for me and I've used my local library twice. The exam is sent to your invigilator about a week before the exam and you sit it at the Adelaide time. You then give it to the invigilator and they send it registered post back to the school. Theoretically they should sit in the room with you but I don't know many who do.

You can do a combination degree of mid and general nursing. It used to be 4 years but I don't know if that has changed.

Yup - apply through SATAC.

Other bits - you have to do a Senior First Aid certificate with a CPR update every single year. You have to do a mandatory reporting course in final year which for me was included in my course requirements and workshop but I think students now have to organise that themselves. Some venues also request that you have a plice record no older than one year old. I have had to provide mine twice. I can't remember how much I paid for mine. You need a uniform. The ID badge is about $5.50. The shirts I think are about $40 for a polo. I have three polo's. You get your pants from anywhere so long as they are navy. I got mine in a Target sale. Shoes - invest in good nursing shoes - your feet will thank you. I can't recall where I got mine but go into any shoe store and ask what they have in terms of nursing shoes. Try them on and make sure they have really good grip - the last thing you want is to slip on a wet floor! My shoes cost me about $150 from memory. I've gone through two pairs in 3 years but wore one pair EVERYWHERE! Oh yeah - when you buy your uniform, if you chose the polo shirts over the blouse - don't buy white. I've heard students be told they had to buy white but that is a load of bull. I have navy. White shows EVERYTHING. Not a practical color for nursing!

I think that's about it. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to answer what I can. And when you start the degree, keep in touch with me and I'll help where I can (I've kept everything!).

MG

Thanks so much for the replies!

I think i've missed the cut off date for SATAC, but if its anything like VTAC then you can just pay more and enrol later... but i better just make a decision soon!

I'm worried about commiting to this, and then finding it to hard with a child, especially as we are planning on having more very soon.

I can't finish my science degree, as basically Melb Uni are a bunch of idiots, very unhelpful with everything. They are all 3rd year prac subjects, they envolve a lot of oncampus time (you can't do anything, not even lectures only) off campus at Melb. So it will take me 1.5 years to finish, and in that time i can be 1/2 way through nursing!

And at the end of it, science gets me nowhere, i need to do extra study to do anything with it, so i would rather just cut my losses and do something i like. Not that i didn't like genetics, just didn't like my uni.

My mum is a nurse & midwife - she works at St Vs private, so hopefully she can help me getting some placements, and my friend just finished Div2, and said she knows some places that are good.

So, what i have understood from everything is basically it works the same as Melb uni - 4 subjects per sem as a fulltime load. Of this, in 2nd and 3rd year, one the subjects includes placements for varying lengths, which i have to organise myself ?? or will the uni fix it up for me, and i just have to get another one if i can't go to their.

Also, do you do it like fulltime for a week, or like every Monday for semester?

And before each placement, i have to go to Adelaide for a few days.

Its just that i'm an orthodox Jew, so i can't do anything on Fri nights - Sat nights, and i only eat Kosher food (of which i can't get any in Adelaide), so i'm just a bit worried about going.

But basically i would only have 4 placements for all of uni, and hence 4 workshops to go to??

Do you have to organise your own firstaid/CPR course??

How exactly do i apply for SATAC? What info do i need?

Can you wear a skirt & long sleeved top during nursing (for religious reasons?)

Is there a maximum time you have to complete it? Can you like do 1 subject a semester, or is the minimum 2? Can you do subjects over the summer?

Sorry my questions are a little out of order, i'm just typing them as i think.

About the 4 year combined nursing/mid - at the end of it, would i be qualified as a Div 1 nurse & a midwife?

What is different about that course? Is it better just to do this one and then see how I go about changing?

Is it hard to get it?

Do i pay HECS (or whatever it now is??), and what other fees are involved?

Thanks!

Yael

OK, i see from the list of subjects on the link you gave monstermunch, that there are 3 stages - i assume this is year 1,2 & 3 (depending on how you spread it out)

Of this there are 3 subjects per semester (what do they mean study period - are there 6 semesters??) - one being a double subject.

But when i click on the link it tells me a little about each subject - but doesn't really tell me which one of them have placements etc

I hope i can get credit at least for the biol subjects - i have def. covered all that stuff!

Also, on the main page about applying it keeps on mentioning SACE - what is that?

Do i have to sit a UMAT or something like that??

Hi Yael, I;ll have a stab at your q's.

My mum is a nurse & midwife - she works at St Vs private, so hopefully she can help me getting some placements, and my friend just finished Div2, and said she knows some places that are good. I'm having my bubba at St V's! Maybe your Mum will look after me! I did two rotations with that hospital on the Mercy campus and LOVED it. It is my number 1 recommendation for placement!

So, what i have understood from everything is basically it works the same as Melb uni - 4 subjects per sem as a fulltime load. Of this, in 2nd and 3rd year, one the subjects includes placements for varying lengths, which i have to organise myself ?? or will the uni fix it up for me, and i just have to get another one if i can't go to their. There are (from I can gather from the new system) 3 placements. One in 2nd year of 6 weeks duration and two in 3rd year both of 8 weeks duration. The school requests that you nominate three venues in order of preference and they will do their best to get you in. My personal experience living in VIC and doing it with that Uni is that you should contact hospitals as soon as you know the dates and talk to the undergrad co-ordinator asking if they can accomodate you. If they say yes, advise the school right away and hassel them to finalise your spot (so it doesn't get given to another student). The school sends all the contracts to the hospital and organises your facilitator (a university employed person who contacts you during your placement and assists you with any issues. You also supply this person with your reflective journal.

Also, do you do it like fulltime for a week, or like every Monday for semester? I assume you mean the placement? Placement is FULL TIME NURSING HOURS Mon-Fri (in third year you might do a 7 day roster) for the duration of the placement (i.e. 6 weeks or 8 weeks)

And before each placement, i have to go to Adelaide for a few days. Correct

Its just that i'm an orthodox Jew, so i can't do anything on Fri nights - Sat nights, and i only eat Kosher food (of which i can't get any in Adelaide), so i'm just a bit worried about going. Workshop hours are 9-5 but I've never actually been there that long - normally out by 4-4.30 at the latest! Like I said before, you can often chose your workshop dates (as there are a lot of people to accomodate) and you can select a day that suits you. I have never done a workshop on a Friday and they certainly don't do them at night! I am sure that there will be somewhere in SA where you can get Kosher food from. Or you could bring it with you (except fresh fruit and Veg because of border laws). I always stay somewhere that is self contained so I can prepare my own meals.

But basically i would only have 4 placements for all of uni, and hence 4 workshops to go to?? I'm pretty sure they have cut it down to 3 placements

Do you have to organise your own firstaid/CPR course?? Yes and you have to supply the Field Placement Office with a copy before you can go on placement. St John Ambulance offer a discount for students. You can also do it through Red Cross and the Metropolitan Ambulance Service here in Vic.

How exactly do i apply for SATAC? What info do i need? I can't actually remember! I lived in SA when I applied and school (I went back and redid yr 12) gave me the book I needed. Best thing is to visit the SATAC website

Can you wear a skirt & long sleeved top during nursing (for religious reasons?) Yes. You can wear a skirt or pants on the bottom. You will have to wear the Uniform shirt but I have seen a couple of students wear long sleeved tops under the uniform top. It is not an issue.

Is there a maximum time you have to complete it? Can you like do 1 subject a semester, or is the minimum 2? Can you do subjects over the summer? You can definatly do Summer School. They only offer certain subjects over summer but they do offer some. At the moment there is a rule that you must complete all Nursing Context (practical) subjects within three years of completing NC2. This might change with the new system but you would need to seek clarification from the Uni. My advice would be to do all the theory subjects and then the practical ones if you want to spread it right out. You can do as little as one subject a semester. I know a couple of people who have done that regularly.

About the 4 year combined nursing/mid - at the end of it, would i be qualified as a Div 1 nurse & a midwife? The bachelor of Nursing is the Vic equivelant of a Div 1. If you do the combined degree you will be a Div 1 AND a midwife.

What is different about that course? Is it better just to do this one and then see how I go about changing? The difference (I think) is that the mid component is about the specifics of mid such as child development. If you don't enrol in the double degree you would have to apply for the mid component which is not only super competitive but also will take longer to complete.

Is it hard to get it? Get what?

Do i pay HECS (or whatever it now is??), and what other fees are involved? You apply for HECS (or whatever they call it now!) and just defer payments. At the moment I also have to pay Student Union fees although I think they are no longer compulsory? It's about $20 a subject with a max of $80 per semester or something.

OK, i see from the list of subjects on the link you gave monstermunch, that there are 3 stages - i assume this is year 1,2 & 3 (depending on how you spread it out) Yes, they now call "years" stages.

Of this there are 3 subjects per semester (what do they mean study period - are there 6 semesters??) - one being a double subject. Different subjects have different unit loads. So some are the same as doing two subjects at once! Study periods are something I am sure they invented to confuse us poor students! Basically, the year is divided into study periods. I think it's Study Periods 2 & 3 are Semester 1 and 5 & 6 are Semester 2. If you go to the Uni homepage and enter study period into the search section it should come up with how it's split.

But when i click on the link it tells me a little about each subject - but doesn't really tell me which one of them have placements etc Bugger. Once you enrol at the Uni you can access the subject home pages and it will tell you which ones have placements. Or you can contact the school and they will tell you.

Also, on the main page about applying it keeps on mentioning SACE - what is that? SACE = South Australian Certificate of Education. SA equivelant of VCE. (Your yr 12 exams)

Do i have to sit a UMAT or something like that?? Nope. UMAT and GAMSAT are for dentistry, physiotherapy and medicine.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there is anything else.

MG

Hey MG,

Thanks for the replies...

Anyway, so i thought long & hard about it, and finally decided that yes, this is def. what i wanted to do... was really happy about my decision!

Anyway, problem is i have terrible hand dermatisis, and am currently undergoing UV therapy for 6 months in a hope to get rid of it... Spoke to my dermatologist, who basically said i should forget about nursing, cos even if they can get my hands back to a level where i can function as a mother (like bathing my baby which i can't do a the moment, changing nappies etc), to put my hands into such a harsh enviroment like hand washing every 5 mins and latex gloves is just going to make them even worse.

I'm so upset at the moment...I guess its just hit home how much my ecezma really runs my life... I've learnt to cope with it around the house and only get depressed with it really flares up and i'm in agony with golden staph infections, but now i've really come to terms with it determining my long term future...

I would have posted about this last week but i was still too upset..

I guess i just always thought it would go away and i could get on with my life!

Anyway, i have no idea what i want to do know.. I have always been interested in something health related (did originally want to do genetic councelling), but now i have to look for something i can do externally. Looked at being a dietician, which sounds interesting, but its all on campus...

Anyway have any suggestions???

Sorry to hijack the thread! Good luck to all of you studying, and thanks for the advice.

Yael

Yael, there are ways around dermatitis in nursing. Hand washing is stringent but not as severe as every 5 minutes. There is an antibacterial hand "wash" that most nurses now use as opposed to washing their hands as frequently. At Uni we are now taught we only need to wash when comming into contact with urine, feces or blood - and then only if you have visiably got it on your hands. Otherwise they use this microbacterial thing. How frequently you actually do a proper wash is up to you in the end - I still wash more than most. There are also "soft" hand washes on most wards and latex free gloves. I can't wear the traditional gloves but have never had any problems with the latex free ones and can always get hold of them. I also find that a great moistureiser helps keep dermatitis at bay. I use sorbolene or baby oil depending on what I'll be doing. So maybe have a play with different things and see how far you can push your hands. Also, there are areas of nursing that require less hand washing than others! I wouldn't suggest you go into surgical for example!
    Good luck with whatever you decide though.

MG

Ok, for all the nursing and midwifery students - how did everyone go in their final exams? Has everyone got their results? I know there were a couple of people in their final year this year - how did you go?
    My results came back with wonderful results. I got a Non graded pass (you either pass or fail) for my last prac, a High Distinction for mental health, and a Credit for Leadership and Management (for those of you at UniSA you'll know what that all means!). SO, I'm now fully qualified - just have to register with the board....

I hope everyone did well and can now sit back and enjoy the summer break!

MG

monstermunch Guest

Congratulations Mother Goose, I also got NGP for NC7, Distinction for Mental Health and Credit for Prof issues and management
    Yippee its all over. Feels very weird not having any study to do
    I have to wait until the middle of Jan to see if I got into Mid at Flinders :frown:
    Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and New Year! (love the smilies btw)

Congratulations MonsterMunch! I'll keep my fingers crossed you get into Mid (I'm sure you will!). Make sure you let us know!

MG

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast