Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low GI or Diabetic Friendly Recipes

Default Low GI or Diabetic Friendly Recipes

Does anyone have any low GI or Diabetic Friendly recipes to share with me?

I am getting rather depressed at my boring, repetitive diet (and still 4 months of it to go!).

I can not eat rice, potato, bread, most fruits, many vegetables and a lot of the cereals are also big no no's for me.

Basically, all I can eat at the moment is Ryvitas, all meats, pasta, salad veges and porridge.

....woe is me..........

Would love any ideas - I only had to deal with this for 6 weeks of pregnancy with Cairenn - have had to do it since 16 weeks this time round.

Thanks for putting up with my winge

Seeya

Jen Schuster Guest

Hi kelly

Sorry i dont have the time to post now but I have stacks of receipes to share with you.

I have coeliacs diseas (wheat and gluten intolerance). My body also doesnt process carbohydrates properly.

My husband is allergic to all the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes etc) so eating an interesting and varied diet is a real challenge for us!!!!!

I can recomend a couple of cook books which I have found really good or even copy my fav recipies and send to you.

I will not be around for about 2 weeks - head down, bum up studying for exams but I will be back!!!!!

you can email me on the link at the bottom of my post

Love Jen

I have a copy of SFI lying around that had diabetic recipes in it, let me know if you want me to dig it up and type them out for you!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Cailin

WOuld love the recipes if you have the time!!!

THANKS!!!

\/

Default Low-Joule Summer Sweets

Low-Joule summer sweets - SFI - Issue 43

Chocolate Mallow Meringues
    Makes 24

1 cup caster sugar
    2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
    4 eggwhites, at room temperature
    Filling
    125g white marshmallows
    100g milk melts
    2 Tablespoons warm water

Preheat oven to 120C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
    Combine sugar and half the cocoa. Beat eggwhites to soft peaks. Add sugar mixture a little at a time. Beat Until Glossy. Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto trays. Bake for 50-60 minutes until crisp. Turn oven off. Cool in oven with door ajar.
    Make the filling:
    Combine ingredients in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Cool. Sandwich meringues together with filling. Dust with remaining cocoa. Serve.

Per serve:

307kg; 1.2g fat; 0.8 g sat fat; 0.1 g fibre; 15.7g carbohydrate; 1.3 g protein; 1mg cholesterol; 16mg sodium

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default Diabetes-Friendly Dinner Party - SFI - Issue 39

Diabetes-Friendly Dinner Party - SFI - Issue 39

Seafood Stew
    Serves 6

2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 red onion
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
    1 cup fish or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 dried bay leaf
    pinch of sugar
    1kg firm white fish fillets
    12 medium green prawns
    12 mussels
    1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    zest or grated rind of 1 lemon

Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium low heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
    Add tomatoes, stock, wine and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Add sugar.
    Cut fish into 3cm chunks. Peel prawns, leaving tails on, and devein. Scrub mussels and remove beards.
    Add fish to saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add remaining seafood. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Spoon into bowls top with parsley and lemon rind.

Per serve: 1230kj; 8.2g fat; 1.3g sat fat; 2.6 g fibre; 7.3 g car; 43.6g pro; 126.4mg chol; 560.8 mg sodium.

GI rating - LOW

I will post more of both these types of recipes, I just can't do em all at once lol you know what its like with a 2yo

Enjoy,

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default Low-Joule Summer Sweets - SFI - Issue 43

Low-Joule Summer Sweets - SFI - Issue 43

Watermelon and Lime Granita
    Serves 6
    1 cup water
    2 to 3 limes
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 (1kg) seedless watermelon peeled and cut into pieces, deseeded

Heat water, 1/3 cup juice and sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add melon. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 3 minutes.
    Process one third of mixture in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a 3cm deep 30 cm x 20 cm lamington pan. Process remaining mixture in 2 batches. Transfer to pan. Cool completely. Cover. Freeze for 8 hours or until set.
    Remove from freezer. Stand for 10 to 20 minutes, or until soft enough to run fork through. Spoon into glasses. Serve.

Per serve:
    616kj; 0.4g fat; 0g sat fat; 1.2g fibre; 35.9g carb; 0.7g pro; 0mg chol; 4 mg sodium.

Sticky chargrilled pineapple
    Serves 4
    2 small, ripe pineapples, tops removed
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Dairy Whip Lite Whipped Cream, to serve

Cut pineapple into 1 1/2 cm thick wedges. Combine syrup, sugar and cinnamon. Pour over pineapple. Stand for 10 minutes.
    Heat a barbecue grill on medium heat. Cook pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes each side, or until golden. Serve with cream.

Per serve:
    879kj; 0.3g fat; 0g sat fat; 5g fibre; 30.2g carb; 2.4g pro; 0mg chol; 9mg sodium;

*hugs*
    Cailin

Tropical Fruit Load
    Serves 6

500g low-fat ricotta
    1/2 cup icing sugar
    5 large oranges, juiced
    3 kiwi fruit, peeled, chopped
    5 passionfruit, pulp removed
    12 sponge finger biscuits

Grease and line a 6cm deep 19cm x 10 cm (base) loaf pan. Using an electric mixer, beat ricotta, sugar and 1 tablespoon of juice until smooth. Fold in the kiwifruit and half the passionfruit. Spoon one third of the mixture into loaf pan.
    Pour remaining juice into a shallow dish. Dip biscuits into juice, 1 at a time. Arrange over ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, finishing with ricotta mixture. Cover. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until firm.
    Turn out. Top with remaining passionfruit.

Per Serve 1141kj; 8.5g fat; 5 g sat fat; 3.8g fibre; 37g carb; 11.9g pro, 71.5mg cholesterol; 226mg sodium.

Sounds yummo might have to make it myself and only 5 pts/serve mmmmmmmm!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Orkids Guest

Your diet sounds a bit like what someone who was eating low carb might eat. Check out this link to see if any of these recipes fit what you need.

<link removed>

My favorite recipe of all time:

Chicken with pine nuts

Sorry - I dont usually use measurements, so this is a bit of guesswork!! Mix equal parts ricotta and parmesan (say 75g each) and mix with a couple of cloves of crushed fresh garlic, a couple of rashes of bacon sliced up, 50g of baby spinach which has been wilted in hot water, and maybe 1/4 of a cut of pinenuts which have been toasted brown in th oven. Add a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Roll a chicken thigh around 1tbsp of the mix, with the side where the skin was on the outside of the roll. Then roll the rolled up chicken thigh in a rasher of bacon and secure with a tooth pick. Use as many chicken thighs as it takes to use up all the mix. Roast them in the oven.

These turn out really well, I often make them when I entertain because I can make them before people arrive then just stick them in the oven. The mix also freezes well, so you can make it up in bulk. One roll will feed a big eater, hubby can be a pig and eat a second one, but he usually ends up complaining about how full he is!![/b]

kerry Guest

Default Low GI Recipies

Hi I thought I'd start this little thread for any of you suffering from diabetes or just looking for some alternative healthy meals.

kerry Guest

Crispy Salmon with chilli lime sauce

4 salmon fillets, with skin attached
    juice of 2 limes
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
    1 tsp fish sauce
    Asian greens of your choice, trimmed and washed

1. Spray a hot non-stick wok or frypan with light canola oil.
    2. Cook fish, skin side down until crisp then turn and cook for a further 2 minutes.
    3. Remove fish and keep warm.
    4. Spray remaining pan or wok juices with small squirt of canola.
    5. Add lime, chilli and fish sauce. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add greens.
    6. Serve fish immediately, skin side up with greens and sauce. Garnish with chopped chilli.

SERVES 4

kerry Guest

VEGETABLE LASAGNE
    SERVES 6

Soft layers of spinach, cheese and lasagne with a luscious vegetable sauce.
    Ingredients
    1 bunch English spinach, washed and stalks removed
    200g packet instant lasagne sheets
    2 tablespoons (20g) grated Parmesan cheese or low-fat cheddar cheese
    Vegetable sauce
    2 teaspoons oil
    2 medium onions (240g), chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    250g mushrooms, sliced
    1 small green capsicum (100g), chopped
    140g tub tomato paste
    1 ? 440g can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
    1 ? 440g can tomatoes, undrained and mashed
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    Cheese sauce
    20g poly or monounsaturated margarine
    1 tablespoon plain flour
    1.5 cups (375ml) low-fat milk
    1/2 cup (60g) grated low-fat cheese
    A pinch of ground nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper
    Method
    Blanch or lightly steam the spinach until just wilted; drain well.
    For the vegetable sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the mushrooms and capsicum and cook a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste, beans, tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
    Meanwhile, for the cheese sauce, melt the margarine in a saucepan or a microwave bowl. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring (for 30 seconds on High, in microwave). Remove from the heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Stir over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, or in microwave on High until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese, nutmeg and pepper.
    To assemble, pour half the vegetable sauce over the base of a lasagne dish, rectangular slab pan or ovenproof dish (about 16cm x 28cm). Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets, then half the spinach. Spread a thin layer of cheese sauce over the spinach. Top with the remaining vegetable sauce and remaining spinach. Place over a layer of lasagne sheets and finish with the remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan or cheddar cheese.
    Cover with aluminium foil and bake in a moderate oven (180C) for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 30 minutes or until the top is beginning to brown.
    *Dipping the lasagne sheets briefly in hot water before use helps to soften them prior to cooking.
    GI RATING: LOW
    Per serve:
    1420kJ
    340kCal
    44g carbohydrate
    10g fat
    9g fibre

kerry Guest

WARM LAMB AND CHICKPEA SALAD

SERVES 4
    Ingredients
    400g lamb fillet or backstrap
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    700g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    salt and black pepper to taste
    1 tomato, cut into small dice
    1 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
    1 cup fresh flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
    1 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    baby spinach leaves, washed, to serve
    Method
    Cook the lamb fillets in a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat, about 3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside to rest.
    Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the chickpeas and heat through, stirring until warm and well coated with the spice mixture. Remove from the heat and add the salt and pepper, tomato, chopped herbs, extra oil and lemon juice.
    Cut the lamb fillets into thick slices diagonally. Toss through the chickpea/herb mixture.
    Arrange the baby spinach leaves on plates and top with the chickpeas and lamb. Serve immediately.
    *The fat in this recipe is predominantly from the olive oil dressing and is highly monounsaturated.
    GI RATING: LOW
    Per serve:
    1810kJ
    430kCal
    23g carbohydrate
    25g fat
    9g fibre

kerry Guest

GRILLED CHICKEN WITH BARLEY PILAF (Low GI)
    From The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook: Low-Fat Food For Life For People with Diabetes, A Heart Condition or Who Simply Want to be Healthy.
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 55 minutes
    Serves 4
    Ingredients
    1 cup (215g) pearl barley
    2 cups (500ml) of water
    2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
    250g cherry tomatoes
    150g yellow teardrop tomatoes
    4 single chicken breast fillets (680g)
    1/2 tsp of coarsely ground black pepper
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
    2 green onions, sliced thinly
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    Method
    Preheat oven to hot.
    Cook barley with the water and stock in medium saucepan, uncovered, over low heat, about 50minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
    Meanwhile, roast tomatoes in hot oven on baking- paper lined oven tray uncovered, about 20 minutes or until just browned and softened.
    Cook chicken on heated lightly oiled grilled plate (or grill or barbecue) until browned both sides and cooked through.
    Stir tomatoes, pepper, basil and onion gently into barley. Serve chicken, dolloped with mustard, with pilaf.
    Serve with a salad of fresh baby spinach leaves drizzled with lemon juice.

kerry Guest

SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE (Low GI)
    Adapted from The New Glucose Revolution by Prof Jennie Brand Miller et al
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 45 minutes
    Serves 4
    Ingredients
    1 Tbsp oil
    1 small onion (80g) finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 tsp minced garlic
    1 carrot (100g) grated
    1 stick of celery (80g) sliced
    1 rasher bacon, fat removed and finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic crushed or tsp of minced garlic
    400g of very lean minced beef
    2 Tbsp of tomato paste
    425g of canned tomatoes, undrained and mashed
    1/4 cup of dry red wine
    1/4 cup of beef stock
    1/4 tsp of dried oregano leaves
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    2 pinches grated nutmeg
    375g spaghetti pasta
    Chopped fresh parsley to serve (optional)
    Grated parmesan cheese
    Method
    Heat the oil in a large saucepan or fry pan. Add the onion, carrot, celery, bacon and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is very soft, stirring frequently. Cover if drying out too much.
    Increase the heat and add the beef. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the beef is crumbly and browned.
    Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to a boil. Add the oregano, pepper, bay leaf and nutmeg and stir thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Remove bay leaf.
    Meanwhile, add the spaghetti to a large saucepan of boiling water and boil, uncovered, until just tender, drain.
    Serve the beef sauce over the spaghetti. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
    Add the garlic, turmeric, curry powder, cumin and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
    Stir in the water, stock, lentils, barley, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the lentils and barley are tender.
    Serve sprinkled with parsley or coriander.

kerry Guest

! HEARTBURN WARNING ! ! HEARTBURN WARNING ! ! HEARTBURN WARNING !

CHILLI GARLIC MUSHROOMS
    1/4 cup olive oil
    40g butter
    5 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 fresh small thai red chillies, finely chopped
    800g button mushrooms
    1 tbl lemon juice
    1/2 tsp cracked pepper
    2 tbl finely chopped fresh lflat-leaf parsley

1. Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; cook garlic, chillies and mushrooms, stirring, about 5 minutes
    2. Add remaining ingredients, stir until combined

kerry Guest

Diabetic Christmas Pudding
    Chef: Roger Bayley (from the ABC)

You need:

1/3 cup each raisins, sultanas and currants
    1 cup grated carrot, lightly packed (90g)
    ½ cup grated apple, lightly packed (50g)
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ¼ cup brandy
    Grated rind of 2 oranges
    Juice of 2 oranges made up to ½ cup with water
    1/3-cup water
    1-cup flour
    1-cup wholemeal flour
    1-teaspoon baking powder
    1-teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1-teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    2 eggs
    ¼ cup vegetable oil

Method:

Place dried fruit, grated carrot and apple, and chopped walnuts in a large mixing bowl.

Add brandy, orange rind and juice, and water.

Add dry ingredients, eggs and oil, and mix well to combine.

Transfer mixture into a well-greased pudding bowl of at least 1.25-litre capacity.

Cover and steam for 2 ½ hours.

Leave to cool in basin and keep in refrigerator until use.

When using steam for 2 hours and serve with orange brandy custard, Yum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast