1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1 cup skim milk,
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    200g domestic button mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
    1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    350g coked egg-white noodles
    salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring to separate beef. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain any fat and set aside.Whisk sour cream and 3/4 cup of the milk in a small bowl; set aside. Mix cornstarch in a cup with the remaining 1/4 cup of milk; set aside.Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add mushrooms; sauté 1 minute over medium-low heat. Add broth; simmer over medium heat until broth is reduced and mushrooms are tender. Stir in sour cream mixture. Add cornstarch mixture; stir until thickened. Add cooked ground beef and cook over medium heat until bubbly. If mixture is too thick, stir in additional broth. Stir in mustard to taste.Serve over hot cooked noodles. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.

kerry Guest

Lemon Yogurt Chicken

1 cup nonfat yogurt
    1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    pinch salt and pepper
    4 chicken breast, no skin, no bone

In large shallow dish, whisk together yogurt, lemon rind and juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat with yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Remove excess yogurt from chicken and discard. Place chicken breasts on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid and grill, turning once, for about 12 minutes or until no longer pink inside.

kerry Guest

I so need to join a belly belly addiction support group.

kerry Guest

Italian Beef with Pasta

250g whole wheat pasta
    350g extra lean ground beef
    1 c. chopped onion
    1 tsp. garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    500g can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
    3/4 c. low-sodium, low-fat beef broth
    1/4 c. tomato paste with roasted garlic
    1 med.-large zucchini, halved lenghtwise and sliced in to 1/4" thick halfmoons
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to pot, cover to keep warm.
    2. In large, nonstick skillet, brown hamburger, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat, add onions, garlic and oregano. Cook for until onions are soft. Add a little water if skillet becomes dry. Add the tomatoes, broth, paste and zucchini. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until zucchini are tender.
    3. Add the pasta to the skillet mixture, toss over low heat to mix well. Add a little more broth if the mixture seems too dry. Serve hot, topped with a sprinkle of cheese.

kerry Guest

Chicken Enchiladas

2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
    2 onions, sliced
    1 each red and green bell peppers, thinly sliced
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    1 cup drained diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup shredded light-style Cheddar
    8 large whole wheat tortillas

Toppings:
    1/2 cup shredded light-style Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
    1/2 cup light sour cream

1. In bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the canola oil, and the spices. Add chicken and coat with mixture. In non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove to plate.
    2. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions and peppers in same skillet for about 10 minutes or until tender; set aside.
    3. Add chicken, tomatoes and cheese to pepper mixture; stir to combine. Divide filling among tortillas and roll up. Place in shallow 9- x 13-inch greased baking dish. COver with aluminum foil and bake in 200C oven for about 15 minutes or until filling is hot. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes or until tortillas are crisp. Sprinkle with cheese and dollop with sour cream before serving.
    Makes 4 servings.
    Beef option: You can substitute 1 pound of top sirloin grilling steak thinly sliced, for the chicken.
    Shrimp option: You can substitute 1 pound of large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, for the chicken.

kerry Guest

Berry Crumble

5 cups fresh or frozen berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and sliced strawberries
    1 large apple, cored and chopped
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons sugar substitute
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Topping:
    1 cup large-flake oats
    1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    1/4 cup brown sugar substitute
    1/4 cup non-hydrogenated soft margerine, melted
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. In 8-inch square baking dish, combine berries and apple. In bowl, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit and toss gently.
    2. Topping: In bowl, combine ingredients. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake in 180C oven for about 30 minutes or until fruit is tender and top is golden.

kerry Guest

Garlic Shrimp Pasta

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup dry white wine, or low-fat chicken stock
    500g large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated soft margerine
    6 ounces whole wheat linguine or fettuccine

1. In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook garlic and red pepper flakes for 1 minute or until garlic starts to turn golden. Add wine/stock and bring to boil. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Add parsley and margerine and cook until melted.
    2. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and add to shrimp mixture. Toss to coat with sauce.
    Makes 4 servings.

kerry Guest

Zucchini Meatball Stew

1 oz Ground beef;
    ds Ground pepper;
    1/2 c Ground zucchini;
    1 c Beef broth;
    1 ts Onion; finely chopped
    1 lg Tomato; diced
    1 Egg;
    1 ts Parsley; chopped
    1/4 c Rice;
    1 tb Salt and pepper to taste
    ds Oregano, cumin, garlic salt;

Combine ground beef, zucchini, onion, egg, rice, and seasonings; mix
    thoroughly. Shape into small meatballs. Combine beef broth, tomato,
    and parsley in saucepan; heat to boil. Drop meatballs into hot
    broth, one at a time. Cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Add salt
    and pepper.

Microwave: Cook beef broth, tomato, and parsley on High for 3 minutes,
    covered. Drop Meatballs into broth. Cook on High for 5 minutes.
    Hold 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.

kerry Guest

One Dish Pork Chop Dinner

8 Pork chops
    450g Small whole onions (whole)
    1/3 c All-purpose flour
    1/4 c Butter or margarine
    Salt and pepper to taste
    450g Carrots, peeled cut - into 3 inch pieces
    2 c Apple juice, divided
    1 kg Small red potatoes
    6 c To 8 C Shredded cabbage

Coat pork chops in flour; reserve excess flour. In a large dutch oven
    melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown chops on both sides. Season
    with pepper and salt if desired. Remove and set aside. Stir reserved
    flour into pan; cook and stir until paste forms. Gradually wisk in 1
    1/2 cups apple juice; blend until smooth. Return chops to dutch oven;
    cover and bake at 180C for 30 minutes. Add potatoes, onions,
    carrots and remaining apple juice. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer.
    Top with cabbage; cover and bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the pork
    chops are tender, basting occasionally with juices.

kerry Guest

Aloha Chicken

1kg Chicken pieces; skinned
    2 Chicken Bouillon cubes;
    1 tb Margarine;
    1 c Green pepper; diced (1 med.
    -pepper)
    1 c Radishes; thinly sliced
    1 c Pineapple chunks; canned,
    -unsweetened
    1/2 c Juice from pineapple;
    1 ts Light soy sauce;
    2 tb Flour;
    ds Pepper;
    4 1/2 c Rice; cooked
    Chow mein noodles; optional

Simmer the chicken in water with bouillon cubes. Remove meat from
    bones and cut into chunks. Save 1 cup of chicken broth. While
    chicken is cooking, melt margarine in frying pan or wok and saute the
    radishes, green peppers, and pineapple until crisp tender, but not
    brown. (Put rice on to cook.) Mix 1 cup saved chicken broth with 1/2
    cup pineapple juice and 1 tsp. soy sauce. Add to pan.

Mix flour with 1 Tb. cold water and stir to remove lumps. Add to
    vegetables. Add cut up chicken and a dash of pepper, and cook until
    everything is hot. Serve over rice. If desired, sprinkle chow mein
    noodles on top

kerry Guest

Spicy Cellophane Noodles

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons scallions -- minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons ginger root -- minced
    1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
    1 teaspoon hot chili paste
    100 grams cellophane noodles
    2 tablespoons scallions (green part) -- minced

Soak the cellophane noodles in hot water (hot tap water is ok) for 20
    minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.

Combine the first 5 ingredients to make the sauce. Set aside.

Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add
    the scallions, ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Stir and fry for
    about 10 seconds, until fragrant. Add the sauce mixture and the
    cellophane noodles. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
    Simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Serve
    mmediately, sprinkled with the minced scallion greens.

kerry Guest

Lime-Ginger Smoked Salmon

Ingredients:

1.5 g Whole salmon
    1 x Lime, juiced
    1 tbl Grated lime peel
    1 tbl Fresh ginger AND
    1 tsp Powdered ginger
    3 x Handfuls dried apple OR
    Maple twigs
    350 ml Apple juice
    1/2 tsp Powdered ginger OR
    3 slc Fresh ginger
    3 cup Cooked brown rice OR

Method:
    Clean salmon; discard head. Peel ginger and slice very thin. Wash and pat salmon dry. Rub salmon with lime juice. Put ginger slices and lime peel inside cavity of fish. Sprinkle powdered ginger over exterior of fish.

cover fish lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.

Soak twigs 30 in water 30 minutes; drain.

Prepare smoker according to manufacturer's directions. Fill fire pan about three-quarters full of hardwood charcoal and heat coals. Arrange twigs over hot coals. Fill water pan about three-quarters full with hot water. Add apple juice and ginger to water pan and place pan in smoker as aromatic.

Unwrap salmon and place on sprayed grid. cover quickly. smoke salmon about 3 hours or until fish flakes easily when prodded with fork. Skin will turn a smoky color.

While smoking, remember not to remove lid of smoker more than is necessary because it allows heat and moisture to escape, which slows the smoking process. also, while using smoker, check every 30 minutes to see if hot water or coals have to be replenished. Be careful and use pot holders.

Serve fish warm or cold with hot rice.

kerry Guest

Diabetic Tips – To adapt normal recipes

REDUCE CHOLESTEROL Use vegetable oil or margarine instead of butter Substitute 2 egg whites for 1 egg, or use egg substitute Use more vegetables and grains and less meat in recipe Use soy-based product to replace part of meat eg. tofu Use nonfat milk products instead of whole milk

REDUCE FAT CONTENT Use reduced calorie mayonnaise and salad dressing Blend cottage cheese or yogurt with milk for sour cream topping Replace regular whipping cream with low-cal topping or yogurt Remove visible fat from meat and skin from poultry before cooking Decrease oil in marinades and salad dressing; increase vinegar, water and seasonings Use foods canned in their own juice or water De-fat meat drippings by refrigerating and skimming fat off the top Decrease the amount of fat used in baked goods by 1/3 to 1/2 and increase fluids called for to reach desired consistency. Cheese that is finely grated or thinly sliced goes further Pour some of the fat off the top of "natural" peanut butters

REDUCE SODIUM CONTENT Use low-salt or no-salt-added products Increase your use of herbs and spices in place of salt in recipes Use fresh foods whenever possible in place of canned or processed (soup mixes, cured meats etc) or rinse canned foods (tuna) with water Do not add salt to water when cooking pasta or other foods

REDUCE SUGAR CONTENT Decrease the amount of sugar called for in traditional recipes by at least 1/3; substitute fruit juices, nectars or pureed fruits.

Use fruit canned in water or fruit juice Use non caloric sweeteners if needed to increase the sweetness of a recipe without added calories. (Most baked desserts require at least 3/4 tsp. sugar per serving to achieve a desirable flavor.)

kerry Guest

Bump - for Sushee and all the new GD girls.

Melinda Guest

Default Low GI Foods

Low GI Foods have a longer release of energy, is that right? That is, they make you feel satisfied/full for longer?!

Well if that's the case, then I need some low GI foods!!! The past 24 hours have been horrendous.......I've had to eat every 2 hours around the clock and it's killing me from a sleep POV!! Perhaps I need to pay a bit more attention and focus on low GI foods? WDYT?

Can anyone give me some suggestions?!

Mel, I'm no GI food expert but from what I understand foods that are not processed as much are better.
    Wholemeal bread over white is a good start. Also eating fruit instead of just the juice ie if you have an apple you also fill up on the skin instead of just a glass of juice.

Hi Mel!

I eat all low GI foods due to high insulin resistance. As do some other girls here I know.

some basic tips when shopping:

1. buy basmati rice its the lowest GI, there is another brand too I cant remember what it is.. sorry

2. You can eat pasta but the serve needs to be small. My dietician lets me eat 1/2 cup uncooked pasta per serve. With rice I eat 1/4 cup uncooked per serve.

3. Bread - There are low GI white breads now in the supermarket, you can try those if you like White bread, if not I eat Sourdough its yummy.

4. Fruits - Watermelon is High GI so I cant eat that, but if you dont have insulin issues then you can eat that. If you want to lower the GI eat it with other fruits that are low GI such as nectarines, apricots, plums or strawberries. Banana's are medium GI. Not sure what grapes are sorry.

5. There are low GI cereals - but I dont eat them as im allergic, but the box will say if it is low GI.

6. Dairy is low GI

7. Potatoes - white potatos are high GI, sweet potatoes are medium GI. Pumpkin is sometimes classified as medium GI or Low, its a weird vege!! All greens are low GI.

8. Noodles - are medium GI depending on what brand you buy - such as udon noodles.

I have a shoppers supermarket guide to GI Values writtten by Jennie Brand Miller and Kaye Foster- Powell who write the New Glucose Revolution that explains GI values and what Low GI Means in Australia. Their books are great and the best is this supermarket shopping guide as it tells me what the food GI value is.

If you have any other questions let meknow ! I shall posts some of my recipes here too for you.

Bel
    xxx

Good info there from Bel - I second all that!

The other rice is Doongara!

If you are needing to snack regularly (which will help keep the morning/all day sickness lol away), try to eat things like apples, pears, low fat cheese, nuts, wholegrain crackers (like vita wheats or ryvita), low GI bread, low fat fruit yoghurt etc etc

That will help you out!

Seeya - pm me if you want more suggestions! I am the low GI queen in my family!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast