Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All those knowledgable with Photoshop.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I get my coloured layer how I want it, then create a new layer and convert that to b&w and play with the contrast, then add a layer mask to the b&w layer and make sure that the mask is selected, then use a black paintbrush to "paint" (errase) the areas which will reveal the coloured layer

how do i clean up faces???
    i use the bandaid tool but that doesnt seem to do much...

I did this one with the path tool (the one that looks like a calligraphic pen nib), which once you have the hang of is so utterly wonderful, but you can do it with the polygonal lasso (click the little black triangle on the corner of the lasso tool). You can use it to click at points around the area you want to keep colour in. You can do more than one area by holding shift for any extra areas. Then CTRL+I to change the selection around to the area you want black and white, then go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation. Reduce the saturation to -100. That should do it.

On the clean up - the band aid tool should work - but it is important to select an area close to the artifact you want to remove. Sometimes it helps to make the source area a little darker than the target area - but never ever lighter. That does look horrible.

Hold down ALT and click on the good patch of skin you want to use to replace the artifact, then let go alt and click on the problem area.. Should fix it right up.

Do you mean the clone stamp doudou?

Faces can be a little fiddly, because the shading is variable across the whole face. I would suggest using a small diameter tool on small areas (like freckles, pimples etc), a larger diameter tool to smooth out texture. Use minimum edge hardness so that it fully covers the area you want, but gives a soft edge. And like Inertia said, always select the source as close to the destination as possible, if the shading doesn't match then undo that edit and pick another spot. For minor texture adjustments or to even out skin texture reduce the opacity of the tool and use a larger diameter.

On using a path selection tool or lasso - it is preferable to using the eraser as it gives the option to save the path, allowing it to be used on other layers, or edited, or imported into other programs like Illustrator. It also allows you to adjust the edge feathering, or expand or contract the edge, which can be really useful if you are doing things like changing an entire background. Combined with layer masks they are the most non-destructive forms of editing, useful if you intend to work on highly complex manipulated images or need to make changes. I also agree with Inertia about using the path tool, it allows for a much finer control than the lasso tools, which makes a huge difference when you have an image with low contrast between subject and background, or with a highly detailed edge (the lasso tool usually applies points rather than curves and doesn't work well on all objects).

The easiest and quickest tools will work most of the time, but knowing the more complex ones is useful.

For minor texture adjustments or to even out skin texture reduce the opacity of the tool and use a larger diameter.
    i think this is what iam wanting to do...

thank you

http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.ph...0&id=723611206
    this was my very first attempt at putting colour with black and white..

i will try the skin one now..
    Last edited by Oorki Galoorki; April 25th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

how can i make the eyes brighter??
    thanks girls

OK, there's a couple of ways to do that.

Looking at the photo, probably the easiest way to do that is with the Brightness/Contrast tool.

Select the layer that the eyes are on. Under Image, Adjustments, Brightness/Contrast, manipulate the brightness slider incrementally until you get the desired brightness. Or, you might get a better result by increasing the contrast.

However, this will also make the pupils much lighter. The iris is predominately in the midtone range of the image, whereas the pupil is in the shadow range. You can manually adjust different ranges of the image through the Levels tool (Image, Adjustment, Levels or Command+L). You will see a graphic representation of the image, with three coloured sliders underneath. The black represents the shadow range, the grey the midtone range, and white the highlights. In this case, move the grey (midtone) slider back towards the right a little to lighten the midtones without affecting the shadows.

Alternately, you can try a selective colour adjustment to affect only certain colours within the image, in this case the blues and cyans. Go to Image, Adjustment, Selective Colour, and in the bottom of the box there are two options - select Absolute. In the drop down box at the top, there's a list of colour ranges in the image. Select first cyan, and decrease the black level a little and increase the cyan level. This will probably brighten the eyes a bit. Dropping the magenta will make them bluer but less rich (removes the purple undertones) Then do the same selecting blue in the drop down box.

You'll probably get the best results from a levels adjustment, which effectively allows you to alter the contrast and brightness manually.

HTH!

thankyou...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12