thread: have people used/stolen your baby names?

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

I made it known what our chosen names were, for a long time before I fell pg. SIL fell pg first, and they decided that they would use my chosen girl's name as their chosen middle name. I was really upset at the time. I was pg by that point and although the name has boomed in popularity, I couldn't imagine calling my child anything else. In our instance, and child that my brother and SIL have are the only cousins my kids will have, so it was pretty important not to have the same names as far as I was concerned. I didn't have to do anything though - mum ended up mentioning it to my brother and they changed it.

I think it all depends on circumstances surrounding the situation. If you never see the people who have used the name you like, then I don't think it really matters. But if you see a lot of them, it could get confusing and one of the kids will no doubt gain a nickname. I've known quite a few European families where they've had a tradition of naming their first born after a grandfather - which means that many people in the same family have the same name. They all get around it by calling the people "Big John" and "Little John". I'm not a fan, but it worked for them. It seems to be mainly boys/men it happens to - and they all have the same surname too! Wouldn't want to get the mail mixed up

This time around, I've only told a couple of people our picked names. And given that we've changed our boy name in the last few days, well nobody knows that. I'm not too fussed though.

Apr 2006
    Perth

I've known quite a few European families where they've had a tradition of naming their first born after a grandfather - which means that many people in the same family have the same name. They all get around it by calling the people "Big John" and "Little John". I'm not a fan, but it worked for them. It seems to be mainly boys/men it happens to - and they all have the same surname too! Wouldn't want to get the mail mixed up
    My DH shares his name with his father. I hate it. His own mother hates it. DH doesn't particularly like it, but likes his name ITMS. Prior to being with DH I haven't had any experience of this sort of thing, but now that I have I know I would never do that to a child. One of my nephews also shares the name, but fortunately its a middle name, and I think that's a nice tribute to his grandfather, but that's as far as I would ever go with it. I think kids deserve their own names.

Like BG and AG, cousins in DH's family have a lot to do with each other, whereas I have a niece via my brother I have never met and will never meet whose name is a shortened version of a girl's name that has always been my favourite and I would love to use, so I think common/similar names among cousins is probably going to be a case by case basis.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

This has happened in my sil's family - the name that is carried on from generation to generation. All variants of Anthony (Antonius - her Opa, Tony -her dad, Anthony - her eldest brother, and Little Anthony - eldest nephew). It isn't too bad most of the time, and I know the her bro gets Tony at home so that te and son have different names, but it's not for me!

DD's name came about due to DH wanting to name her after me and me not being a Dan of the same name being passed on. He looked at lots of variations of my name, then thought maybe the month of my birth (May/Mae) then to my birthstone. We liked the birthstone best...

2012 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add AngelPants on Facebook

Feb 2010
    Under the rock

Yep DH is the first in 5 gen of first born males in his family not to have the same first AND middle name, he still shares the middle name tho as does DS. It can get very confusing! To the point where (before his parents came to Aus) there were 3 males, same name, living under one roof!!

sent from my watzamajig so may not make sense....

Oct 2011
    Earth

TRADITIONAL NAMING PATTERNS IN SCOTLAND

First Son is named for the Father's Father
    Second Son is named for the Mothers Father
    Third Son is named for the Father's Grandfather, Fraternal
    Fourth Son is named for the Mothers Grandfather, Maternal
    Fifth Son is named for the Fathers Grandfather, Maternal
    Sixth Son is named for the Mothers Grandfather, Fraternal
    Seventh thru tenth Sons are named for the Fathers Great Grandfathers
    Tenth thru Fourteenth Sons for the Mothers Great Grandfathers

First Daughter is named for the Mothers mother
    Second Daughter is named for the Fathers Mother, Maternal
    Third Daughter is named for the Mothers Grandmother, Fraternal
    Fourth Daughter is named for the Fathers Grandmother, Fraternal
    Fifth Daughter is named for the Mothers Grandmother, Maternal
    Sixth Daughter is named for the Fathers Grandmother
    Seventh thru tenth Daughter are named for the Mothers, Maternal Great Grandmothers
    Tenth Thru fourteenth Daughter for the Fathers Great Grandmothers

this was not always followed though

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

I dont understand how anyone can steal a name?
    You dont own it, you choose it for your child.
    Unless you are a wak-job, you choose it because of all the names you heard, that was the one you loved the most, the one you wanted to call your child for the rest of their life.
    How can you begrudge someone else for wanting to do the same thing?
    You cant help the name you love the most, it just happens.
    There is no way I would give my child my second best name just out of fear aof what someone else thinks.
    My child gets MY favorite name, and if that happens to be your favorite too, well then,
    GOOD ON US

Aug 2009
    Back in the bush Capital

I might be a little annoyed, if like the OP said, I'd told someone the name, they said they didn't like it then used it anyway. But ultimately I don't believe anyone owns a name so therefore there's nothing to 'steal'. My family is also pretty close and I see a fair bit of some of my cousins, one of whom has a DS with a name I love and would not have hesitated in using if only DH had agreed. I have a number of friends with the same name as me (very popular in the '70's!) but I wouldnt not be friends with them because of that so I don't think even family connections should dictate your choice - if you like it then use it