Thread: Help with tying HAB?? (Going to give up!)

Default Help with tying HAB?? (Going to give up!)

Hi,

I bought my HAB after reading how comfortable etc they are. I also bought a baby bjorn cause DH said no way would he use the HAB.
    I have watched the DVD twice and tried tying it multiple times, put bubs in three times, and each time get so frustrated with the fit that end up throwing it on the floor!
    (Am successfully wearing Baby bjorn however)

My problem is I cannot get the front section tight enough to hold my bub securely. I think I have the tying correct, try to tighten by pulling at the shoulders, but all it seems to do to the front 'pocket' section is pull further up my back and the top of the pocket gets wider and falls down. If I persevere and put the ends through at the front, and puts bubs in, she ends up so far down my body, she is not secure, and I need two hands to hold her there. needless to say, I dont keep her in it.
    I want to wear the HAB, like the idea of different positions and BF in it etc. But after 2 weeks, I am ready to put it for sale on ebay unless someone has some advice on getting it to feel secure!

Hope this makes sense and someone can help me.

I have always wanted one they do look amazing to use. If i were you i would take it to my local baby shop (you may need to try a couple) and see if they can help or try and find some one in your area (could be hard i know) who uses one and ask for help. There's bound to be a trick to it- Good luck.

My wife tells me the trick is that it has to be really tight around your waist as it comes over your shoulders, and then keep that tension there with one hand by holding both pieces of fabric tight, pulling down over your shoulders, as you put the tails down through the pocket with your other hand. Once you have passed them through, you then need to grab hold of the two pieces of fabric below the puch and once more, pull them tight, keeping them tight as you ti it around your body. Apparently it's all in keeping it tight during the putting on process, as, as you say, it will stretch to accommodate baby, and if it is already a little loose, it will stretch too far.

I can tell you from Victoria's experience, it is a great carrier, and Olivia loved being in it.

And I believe that the Baby Bjorn is not recommended for children who are unable to sit unaided, especially new babies, as it places a lot of weight down through their spine (because all of the weight is supported on their crotch). It compresses the vertebra.
    Last edited by Schmickers; February 6th, 2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added information about Baby Bjorn and new babies.

You need to have it on a lot tighter than you think when you first put it on.

Hold the pocket over your hips and then with one hand behind your back hold both pieces TIGHT in one hand.
    Don't let go of that tension in the hand behind your back while you pull each piece over the opposite shoulders with the other hand and down the front and under the pocket section.
    You can then make them tighter if you need before wrapping the exess around you and tying it up.

Before you pick up bub then pull at the front bits to loosen them a tad before getting bub in. The fabric will loosen up with body heat like a pair of jeans.

I have it pretty tight with Bonnie with only a little bit of slack to put her in. So I assume you would need it a lot tighter with a newborn. So I wouldn't leave any slack when putting the material throught the frount part. I reccon once you have tied it at the front you would be able to get enough slack to put a tiny baby in.

Have you tried in front of a mirror?

ke sure the pocket is around your waiste and not your hips. Make sure straps are as wide as possible, so don't bunch them.Place sraps through pocket. Ppull straps tight at collar bone level, and at same time pull excess strap from under pocket. Make sure the straps arecrossed over at around breast height. Tie straps tightly.

If u get frustrated put it down have a cuppa and practice later. Don't try and practice when u have a screaming bub, you'll never get it when panicking. good luck

Ok, will try all of this advice as soon as I get a chance. Will be back to say if it works!
    Thanks

Do you know anyone IRL that knows how to use one? I would say that if you continue to struggle with it, find someone who can show you how to use it.

Where in Bris are you? Perhaps I could help out. PM me if you don't want to post that publicly. Also, there are sling meets in Indoorpilly library on the 4th Sat of each month, and the guy who facilitates them would most certainly be able to help you out.

Don't give up, they are great and they are better for bub and you than the baby bjorn.\
    |

yeh, what everyone else has said!!!
    dont give up, they are the best thing ever, and the ergo too, when bubs is bigger... i miss being able to use the HAB...
    go to a babies galore or something and ask them to show you... ask at a childcare centre.. see if anyone on BB can meet up and show you.
    My only advice is to try making it tighter, practise with a doll.... but dont give up, Baby bjorns for more than a few moments each week are bad news for you and esp bubby...
    Good luck, and yay for baby wearing!!!

Hawksey I was going to ask the same as Kaos... where in Bris are you?? I found it took a little getting used to tying it as well. I don't use mine anymore cos he doesn't like being tied onto me like that now. However, we both loved it when he was younger.

Well, we have tried tying it tighter but still not getting it right. she is currently in it, after her most restless day yet. She is still squarking and fighting sleep. I just cannot get the pocket tight enough! She slips lower and lower once she is in, and I need to support her weight with my hands.

To either of the Bris girls, I am on the north side 5 mins from Chermside shopping centre. Anyone near here. I dont know Bris that well and have never driven to Indooroopilly!

Hawksey, I am at Burpengary... northside. I could meet you somewhere if you like or come to you and help you? Let me know. achoffmann at bigpond dot com is my email if you would like to email me

Hawkesy, check out this thread on different tying techniques, there might be one in there that's easier for you??