Thread: 4mth old still constipated - HELP!

Default 4mth old still constipated - HELP!

Ive tried everything - coloxyl drops, leg windmills, massaging his tummy, brown sugar in water. He has a huge poo explosion this morning but nothing since and he just keeps grunting/whinging/straining and his tummy is hard. What can I do? When should I give up and take him to the hospital/Dr??

smiles4u Guest

Wink

I had a friend who had the same problem with her daughter about the same age & she rang the " Nurses On Call " phone service on 1300 60 60 24

... I don't whether know it's a 24hr service BUT she said they were so helpful

GOOD-LUCK WITH YOUR LIL' ONE :goodluck2:

At about 4 months, Cooper went through the same thing. What I did was get prune juice and give him about 10mls in 100mls warm water. Looks disgusting but was diluted enough that he drank it (or at least enough to get everything moving). DEFINITELY cleared out his bowels though LOL! I still remember the outcome with horror and realise I have signed myself up for it again. Oh well!!

I was going to suggest prunes as well. I know you can cook some up and just use the juice from them, diluted with water. Supposed to work a treat. Good luck!! Poor little fella

HI,
    It is stressful to see them so uncomfortable, isn't it? It sounds like you have tried a few things already. I'm wondering, is your baby breastfed or bottlefed or both? It can be normal for a breastfed baby of that age to go many days without a poo, and it's normal. When he does poo, what is it like? (colour/consistency?)
    Barb

oh honey..how dame frustrating for you.

I went through this with Vyolett and found that her formula was to blame. maybe a change is in the wind for him IFYKWIM. We ended up using desposies for infants and OMG it makes the pooh shoot out like there's no tomorrow but it did help.

Good luck babe and happy poohing Ripley

He is formula fed Barb. When he does poo which has become more infrequent over the last few weeks it is runny and looks like its seeded mustard? Sometimes it plasticene in consistincy and sticks to his bottom.

I will give the prune juice a try!

Maz, I had thought maybe it was the s26 so I might change him onto something else seeing as we are nearing the end of a tin.

I have heard that S26 is known for causing constipation (that is what my midwife & GP said). They recommended Karicare. Don't know why they thought that was a better formula but worth looking at another formula if it keeps up.

Funnily enough Karicare is what I bought Courtney lol My friend said her kids were in it and had no constipation issues - it was recommended by her paediatrician.

I used Karicare for DD and she still had constipation issues. She visited a baby friendly chiropractor for about 2-3 weeks and ever since her pooper is working beautifully. Her alignment was out due to the "traumatic" labour (so he said) and a few adjustments later and all her nerves and system were back to normal. Might be worth looking into if constipation becomes an ongoing issue.

I have also PM'd you

Lisa

Oh and he recommended that I make her formula with 60mls of water to one scoop (the tin says 50mls of water). I still use the 60ml water - formula ratio.