Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Baby Home

yep Sarah there is a place in Sydney called Tresillian which has a 24 hour hotline for parents to phone up....believe me I did with the one in QLD all the time! They can be really helpful. From anything from feeding to sleeping etc, the are a bit old school at times but I would take what they said and decide what to do from there... I often was on the phone to them with Matilda screaming in the back ground...saying"HELP!!!"

Might try that Fi - the time out thing...

Thanks Christy, I think I might track down the number & pin it to the fridge.

Debbie Lee Guest

Good idea for a post, Sarah! I am pretty much the same - I feel more daunted by the idea of bringing the baby home more so than the actual labour. I am terrified that i don't have all the stuff that I need (though I know I have got more than enough!!).
    I had a little tear in my eye with what you said, LuLu - about finally seeing a baby in the things you have prepared. I bet that is an excellent feeling!
    I worry about visitors too. I am kind of a home-body and I don't always like having people around. I really enjoy being alone at home for some of the time. I know that when bubs comes, that is going to be impossible! What I mean is, having Neil and bubs around is ok but there's only so much I can tolerate visitors and I just worry that they are all going to stream through the door in the first few days. I don't care about the house being a mess (they can just get the hell over that!!). I dunno... I just wanna be alone with my family for a while. Kwim? I have a sign ready for the door: "Shhh... mother and baby are resting. Please come back another time" so I will use that.
    I'm also hoping that I don't get too many visitors at the hospital. I sound like a social-phobic, don't I? Close friends and family I can handle but I don't want people from work turning up! Especially if I am getting the hang of breast feeding etc.
    In saying all of this, I know it will probably all go flying out the window and I will wonder where everyone is!
    The whole thing is rather daunting!!

I cooked extra meals like casseroles in the last few weeks of pg so I didn't have to bother cooking
    I was so excited about bringing Mason home that I cried when we pulled into the driveway. I was more paranoid about Angus being smothered by Mason that I didn't think too much about the homecoming part. I hardly put him down for weeks!
    Chill out about the housework. Nobody expects you to be superwoman. I found myself apologising for the mess and my visitors would say What mess don't worry.
    DH could take holidays for both bubs so that was fantastic.

Mason woke up while I was in the shower on the 1st day DH went back to work. He must have cried for most of the time I was in there. I got a portable rocker and took him into the bathroom with me and he was fine in there as I could talk to him if he got the grizzles.

Stuff the house work! Although it does bother me when things are messy, so I kept one room of the house that was reasonable enough for visitors, and the rest was trashed until I got to it.....actually I'm still getting to it.

Try not too worry about too much, there is only a certain amount you can control, anyway you might find it easier than you think.

Enjoy the rest of pg, it won't be the two of you for much longer. Then when baby is born jump in headfirst, enjoy the ride, do things your way.
    Don't forget you still have time to be rude to people and behave badly, cos they will blame it on being hormonal!

LOL at behaving badly & blaiming it on hormones - I like that

Sarah, I think everyone worries about the shower issue....I use to pop Jack in his pram and wheeled him in with me when I had one.

Bugger the housework.....I say now! At the time, I was in a state as I was trying to run around doing all the normal thngs i use to do and look after Jack. there is no way that you can go back to your normal routine in those first few months unless you are a millionare and have a cook, cleaner, nanny, secretary and chef. Just kick things under the bed for a few months and cook lots of meals to pop in the freezer, also pop some long life milk in the pantry in case you run out and can't face the trip to the shop.

When anyone offers help TAKE IT don't say, no I can manage, every little bit of help, helps iykwim?

Debbie- I understand where you are coming from with your concern about people visiting. They should really phone and make an appt, iykwim? Sometimes they would rock up to see me and Jack at the most inappropiate times that I just felt like crying. It wasn't that I didn't want to see anyone, I just wished there was a little space in between them, and that they would ring first. Having everyone rock up on the same day is a big no no.

Oh and get used to eating cold food.....actually your pretty lucky Sarah, it will still be warm and you can make salads!!!!

One last thing, once you have found your "baby legs" prepare dinner before 2pm, it makes the world of difference, and I'm still doing it now.

Again I have to say how lucky I am that Shane is the clean one out of the two of us. When I clean, I clean really well - skirtings, behind doors, under things etc, but Shane is a sensational quick cleaner.
    Thats probably another reason I'm not too stressed is that I know he will look after that side of things. He does now, so nothing will change there!!
    Also I love to cook, so I'm looking forward to being able to do baking/cooking for him. And packing his lunch.....
    I'm not trying to brag about him - there are so many things we dont do right, but I guess cause I'm that stressed about the labour and anxiety etc, it feels really good to know when I get home he will look after me. There has to be something going for me here, and it certainly aint the neurotic mess I am regarding labour! I'm pleased we have something semi-under-control, and even that is cause his oldest son is 21, and he;s done it all before. With the bad comes the good I guess?

That was a great suggestion about the long life milk!! Maybe I'll put some bread in the freezer too just in case. Times liek these I really need a deep freeze!!
    Fi

I stocked up on some food from work before finishing, but I like the idea of the long life milk in the cupboard & bread in the freezer. I have things like lasagnes & family size pies which are really easy to heat up.

I got caught out by the visitors (evil visitors) when Yasin was born but I've thought about it a bit and I think that a good solution is to copy the hospital and have visiting hours. So all visitors are welcome but only at the specified times.

Scarlett Guest

Deb, IKWYM about visitors as I am the same and am experiencing the nightmare now. I know it is nice of people to want to come over but all to often Emily is due to be fed (and I'm not comfortable feeding in public just yet, particularly with family) or has just gone to sleep and I would like to join her etc. I have also found that they love to work out that she is hungry and make noises about leaving but don't actually do so - its like they like to see her fussing more. Fortunatley I have developed an ability to be rude and now say "i'm going to go and feed her" and disappear off to my room. 9 times out of 10 Kev will come down 5 minutes later to say they have left. Another big plus is caller ID on your phone - cause if you don't want to let people know you are home you don't have to answer it.

Ha ha Scarlett on caller ID - I have an answer phone so I'l just screen calls I guess!!
    And great idea popping off to your room to feed. That would work relly well except our bedroom is by the front door..... I can imagine people popping in their head to say goodbye on the way out! I can't see why a sign can't go in the front window saying "Visting Hours" so people would have to be reall silly or rude) to knock!!
    Fi

Just found a really good article on the main BB site, that might interest you guys that will soon be mummies - Things You May Lose When You Have a Baby.

sarah, with the showering thing, do you have a monitor? that way you wont have to disturb bubs to put in a rocker if they are already in cot, just take the monitor in with you.

i worried as such about bringing Jackson home, because DH is mega domesticated, and i know he will do everything that needs to be done (also because i am having c/s) Also my sister lives a couple of streets away, and my mum doesnt work and i am sure she will be there every minute she possibly can be so that DH doenst have to do all the house work, and has time to enjoy his time off and get to spend if with me and his boy. i have such a helpful and supportive family, is great!

I tried the monitor next to the shower thing, but mainly I would wait until Matilda had been asleep 10 minutes and then go to it... sometimes I would strap her in the pram or rocker if we had to go out somewhere & its okay it just means you have to rush & I love my showers... the other thing is when they can sit up you can take them in with you if necessary I love my shower space but if I really need one and have to get out its a good alternative....

My DH is really into his organic vege gardening...and he does it for an hour every morning (6am) and every afternoon (530pm). I love the fresh veges, but I'm not much of a green thumb, and I think he's looking for someone to share his passion with...so we've agreed that he will take bubs out in the sling (gonna get a hug-a-bub) to share the gardening experience with her during these times, and I can have a shower etc. then. Gives him some daddy/daughter time and he can bore her with all his explanations of all his different mung bean varieties etc!

I'm also going to get a professional cleaner in just before bubs is born, and save up enough money to get someone in once a week for the first month or so. Then I can focus on learning to be a mummy!

Hopefully visitors won't be too much of a problem. We moved to the country almost 2 years ago, and haven't made many friends up here. Our house is 20k out of town anyway. Just DH's family up here, and my family will probably come up from Brissy. I'm actually a bit worried I'll be lonely and isolated more than anything...

Juliette, why don't you check out the Networking The Mother "Hood" article HERE on the main BB website if you're worried about being isolated. It might give you some ideas of where to find support once your bub is born....

I think the first few days/weeks at home do depend on the type of labour you have. I was very sore and tired, thank goodness DH was home to do the cooking and washing. I wouldn't have done it otherwise!

We haven't had many visitors luckily and those that have come have called first. When DH goes back to work next week I am going to use the 'Mother and Baby resting... please do not disturb' sign on the front door when I don't feel like seeing anyone.

With the showers, I can't decide whether to have one before DH goes to work in the morning or not. Maybe it'll depend on whether Matthew is awake or not then wanting a feed. Otherwise I think I'll take him into the bathroom with me in his bassinette (it had wheels) when he is sleeping.

You'll get sick of everyone saying,' sleep/rest when the baby sleeps' but that really is the best advice. I find that after 2 weeks I am still quite exhausted during the day and need my rest. Housework can definitely wait and if anyone complains, then I'll hand them the vaccuum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12