Thread: Calling all Sleeping bag users in Melbourne

Default Calling all Sleeping bag users in Melbourne

Hi there,

What tog sleeping bags are you all using in this weather in Melbourne?

My DS is in a 0.5 with a bonds wondersuit and singlet and Wrapped in Muslin sheet with a cotton sheet over him. He is not rolling yet and still likes to be wrapped, but kicks his sheets off. His bedroom got down to 17 overnight and I worry that he is cold.

Also for winter, do you use 2.5 tog in winter with a long sleeve body suit or a short sleeve one? Wouldn't their arms get cold though. Is it better to use a 1.0 tog with a bonds wondersuit. It is so confusing and you don't want to overheat them, but you don't want them waking up because they are cold.

Any suggestions?
    thanks

I go by the grobag guidelines. I think they are poosted in the website somewhere otherwise if you google grobag you will find them on their website.
    If it was 18 degrees I'd be using a 1 tog sleeping bag, 15 or under a 2.5, 20 or over a 0.5 and changing the clothing as well.

is the temperature you go by, the temperature of the nursery, or the day's temperature?? sorry i know its probably a dumb question.... its just that at bedtime the nursery could be 25 degrees but then drop considerably in the night, so i dont really get which temp u go by?

I know what you mean. You go by the nursery temp and it does drop overnight so it is very confusing. I watch the weather on the news each night to see what the minimum for the next day will be and I try and dress him according to that thinking that the house will be slightly warmer. I think his nursery was 21 when we put him to bed and by the morning it was 17 degrees.

We work by the nursery temperature. Here, it's often 26 when she goes down for the night, so I dress her in a singlet suit and just wrap her in muslin. When she wakes for a night feed, I pop her into a sleeping bag (1.0tog) then for the rest of the night.

I think winter will be a lot harder though as the temperature drop is a lot more overnight so it would be difficult to decide how many layers to put on them.

I didn't use TOG guidelines overnight in winter in particular because I felt they were way too little. I think they recommended something like a s/s jumpsuit and a l/s jumpsuit in a nursery at around 16. Isabelle would be dressed in that plus would have a flannel wrap over her like a blanket, and also another blanket. She was never overheated and that was with a heater in her room overnight. Now with summer if it is a ridiculously hot night she's just in a nappy, but when it is like it was the last few nights she is in a long sleeve cottn jumpsuit and a 0.5 TOG Snugtime bag, plus a light cotton blanket over her. She does roll onto her tummy though and I dont think she really stays under that blanket through the night though. Her arms in the night are cool, but her chest and body stays warm.

We occasionally use a long sleeve but short legged jumpsuit too keep her arms warm if its warmish at the start of the night, and then later if it cools down!
    Hope that all makes some sense, I think its a case of how hot the nursery is and using your own judgement. When it cools down again this year we will rug her up even more under the bag with socks etc because she wont stay under the blankets like she did with the 2.5 bag when she was born.