Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coke in a sippy cup !!

Deb you should come up to NSW, we have strict guidelines in place for what canteens can & can't sell. A lot of schools up here are run by private caterers but they are under the same guidelines as well, schools & caterers can be fined if they're found selling the kids foods that are not allowed. This year they're changing the guidelines as well to be more strict.

From my point of view being from a a company that sells the canteens their food, we had to change a lot of our stock as well. Instead of just simply carrying one brand of pies / sausage rolls, we had to change to 3 different low fat options for the schools as well as the regular ones for other customers. It was hard work, which I'd say it was for the canteens as well, but if we (& they) want to keep making money there was no other choice.

Ok, well I drink Coke - yep love it. But would I give it to my young children? No. My bad habiuts should not become theirs and while their teeth, and digestion systems are developing I wouldnt want to hinder that any.

My younger cousin was given soft drink from about 18 months - not really regularly, but a cup full here and there. Now his infant teeth came through ok - well most of them were through not long after he started - but his adult teeth were and still are appalling.

Mind you its not just dental problems. Caffeine Obviously the sugar content can lead to bad eating habits which leads to weight and nutritional problems and this is further down the track, but still..

I found this which is a letter written and endorsed by about 30 US peadiatricians (each statement is referenced - for anyone interested I can provide details):

Obesity is a serious and growing problem for children. Since 1980, the proportion of overweight children ages 6-11 has doubled to 15.3%; for adolescents, the rate has tripled to 15.5%. Overweight children are at risk for a number of medical problems, including hypertension, asthma, and type II diabetes, a disease used to found primarily in adults. The New England Journal of Medicine recently reported that, if left unchecked, the rapid rise of childhood obesity and its attendant health problems, may shorten children’s life expectancies by as much as five years.
    Obesity rates have risen in tandem with a startling increase in soft drink consumption. Since 1950, per capita sweetened soda consumption has increased four-fold. Sweetened drinks constitute the primary source of added sugars in the diet of children. The chance that a child will be overweight increases with each daily serving of sugared soft drinks they consume. There is a growing consensus that soft drinks are contributing to health problems for children, which is why the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Dental Association, and others in the public health community have called for restrictions on soft drink marketing.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hmm yeah... gone are the days where soft drink was a treat. When we were older kids, we had bubble juice (what we called it?) maybe once or twice a month. It was a real treat! Otherwise it was cordial or water.

I think most important thing to keep in mind is that as parents we set up their eating habits and provide their grwoing bodies with what is needed. It is often a fine line though - especially as you also have the problem of them needing fat and sugar to grow, but I guess trying to provide it in the healthiest way is the key - although Im sure is not always possible and then using our own judgement and keeping alternatives in moderation is all you can do.

We just have to do the best we can as parents! The best I can do for my son is to introduce him to the healthiest options available in hopes that when he is old enough to make his own decisions he will make wise ones.
    Yes, children need fat and sugar to grow - but the kind of fat and sugar we give them is the key. Personally I would rather introduce my son to the healthy fats in avocado, nuts (when he is old enough for them obviously) and olive oil, then in chips, crisps and chocolate. Those are fine for the odd treat - but in my opinion - they have become a REGULAR thing in a lot of childrens diets rather than the odd treat. I don't consider once a week an odd treat but others may feel differently.
    The same goes for sugar - I would much rather hand my son some fruit when he is craving something sweet - rather then a biscuit or some chocolate.
    So, yes, it is a fine line and I will do what I feel is best for my son as far as food and drink are concerned and we shall see what happens as he grows up and has to make his own decisions.
    It is just that for me, I live with my father-in-law and I get to see first hand, every day, what every day, consistent, bad choices as far as food and drink are concerned, can do to a person. He just turned 69 on Christmas day and though many family members question whether he will see 70, I personally don't think he'll see 75! It makes me sad to think that my son may miss out on time with his grandfather but what can you do???

Kimberley has the odd drink of coke but we have now brought her some new cordial that doesn't have presservitives in it.
    Alex had tried coke or a fizzy drink and he pulls the best face ever and just puts the cup down again so at the moment he doesn't drink anything fizzy. I wouldn't even buy them the pop tops it's water, milk or juice for them both.

Ok ok Just my thoughts and each to there own but you wouldn't give your babies (under 3, actually kids in general) a cup of coffee so why would you give them coke. The sugar/caffiene combo must wreck havoc with their little bodies. My kids have the occassional soft drink particularly at this time of year, but not coke or any kind of diet drink. I will buy fanta, even with a macca's meal rather than coke.
    Lol I actually ran out of sugar about a month ago and haven't bought any yet ( I just forgot). We honestly don't use it, I maybe buy sugar twice a year.
    Fruit never rots in the fridge or on the bench in my house.
    Don't get me wrong we have treat nights, but my babies don't, I don't think they are missing out.
    It is strange what some people will do, I have a friend who, no joke, used to add strawberry quick to her baby's formula and say Oh have you tasted formula, it's disgusting.
    I know alot of mother's who give their babies flavoured milk in their bot bot to go down for a nap. I think it's ridiculous.
    I have seen babies with coke and other softdrinks in their bottles and the mum's all have the same excuse, oh he/she doesn't like water/ milk. yeahhhh hello you've trained them to like and crave sugar what do you expect.
    There is nothing wrong with occassional treats and I suppose at least it wasn't alcohol, but thats a whole other discussion.

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh have you tasted formula, it's disgusting.
    OMG! What a silly reason... sheesh! A lot of things babies have don't taste all that great to we adults. Hek, I'm not a fan of mushy weetbix but Gabby loves the stuff!! LOL
    That's why it's suggested that you don't add things like salt, pepper, sugar etc. to taste in baby food to your own liking... rather they need to develop their own tastes and preferences (and get used to textures, different food flavours etc.).

Deb there's no canteen at maddy's school, although they do have lunch orders... When I got the lunch order list I sat with maddy & asked if she'd like a luinch order..

She looked through it & said "I hate hot dogs, I hate big sausage rolls & pies, I can get a vegemite sandwich from home, I never eat a full donut, I dont like Big M's.... Nope I dont want a lunch order!" hee hee

So she usually packs her own lunch bag now & it will have a fruit yoghurt, a pkt of rice cracker thingy's, 2 pieces of fruit, some crackers & cheese (she's gone of sandwiches) & a chopped up carrot... This is her current standard lunch bag...

She will have macca's nuggets & chips & a thickshake etc, she doesnt like Pizza & will ask to eat a heap of boiled rice & steamed veggies & loves a big bowl of brussel sprouts... But we have different stuff all the time & she usually eats it all or will atleast try most of it...

Indah l;oves rice veggies & tofu at the moment... But also wil eat whatever we give her & has had some of maddy's chips when we are at shops & stop to grab Macca's or something...

But most meals are healthy or atleast we try...

paradise lost Guest

This gets on my nerves too! THe coke in bottles and general rubbish people seem to feed their kids.

Hana
    Last edited by paradise lost; December 19th, 2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: privacy

Debbie Lee Guest

Anyone watch the news tonight?
    Seems caffiene is a big cause in obesity and other problems when children drink caffienated drinks from an early age.
    I guess it's another reason why coke should be a no-no.
    I drink caffiene free diet coke whilst preggo and I really don't notice the difference from regular diet coke.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234