Thread: dummies

Default dummies

Was talking to a friend last night who was telling me that if my baby goes to the hospital nursery to be cared for they will give it a dummie even if i request one not to be given, and also that they swap the dummies from baby to baby without sterilising so baby often gets thrush which then gives mum nipple thrush which is awful. What are your experiences?

Hmmm.... can't say I have ever heard this one either Widdly... I'd be interested to hear of other's experiences though...

I was also told that my baby will automatically be given a dummy in hospital, as far as I know he wasn`t

Gotta love the advice friends give us when we are FTM's Widdly no thats not true, sure they might offer you one. But they won't or shouldn't force your bubba to have one. Besides most newborns hate pacifiers anyway. And often don't start to like them until they are at least a few weeks old. They generally only want to suck on something that has milk coming out of it

Try not to get overwhelmed by everyone's tips & hints its hard to do I know, but you don't need to stress yourself out before your precious bundle is even here iykwim!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Your baby wont go to a nursery at all (if you are public). They get you to look after your baby all the time. If you are very sick or something then they will offer to look after the baby so you can rest. Kameron was in neo-natal nursery for 2 days and never had a dummy. None of the newborns in there did.

Swapping the dummies very much sounds like a load of crap. Maybe your friend is just trying to use scare tatics. I think it is time you listened to someone else or no one at all

Love

froofy Guest

My fiance when he was a bub and had to have surgery done on his leg was given a dummy against his mum's wishes, but he's 31 years old. My daughter was in the special care unit at birth, and wasn't given a dummy. I have heard of one person in recent times who had a dummy given to their bubs against their wishes, but it's not common I don't think.

Melinda Guest

I've never heard of that before Widdly. I'd be very surprised if any hospital swapped dummies between babies because of the hygiene issue - I'd be livid if I discovered they had done that! I'd also be surprised if any hospital would just routinely give babies dummies - particularly without the consent of the parents.

Most hospitals will leave the decision of using a dummy up to you - I have never heard otherwise! In fact I know that a dummy was never even mentioned to us in hospital, although we did give Jacob one when he was a few days old as he wasn't being breastfed at that point but needed to suck for comfort.

Our hospital advised against dummy's and suggested that if we wanted one to bring in 2-3 becuase if one dropped on the ground they would have to sterilise it.

My hospital (Knox Private) has a no dummy policy and they say that it can have a negative affect on bf. They have a form that you have to sign if you want to give your baby a dummy or use teats while comp feeding. They are fine if you do want to use one though.

Widdly your friend is giving you incorrect information. I spent 3 months almost all day every day in baby nurseries when my son was born. Not once did I see them swap dummies without sterilising them. And every now and then a baby would come through whose parents did not want them to have a dummy. This was marked on the child's notes and they put a sticker on the plastic crib also.

My (premature) bub has been cared for in Special Care Nurseries and NICU at two hospitals. Both were strictly hygienic; no cross-transfer between babies at all (they have to be that way as infection transfer can cause the nursery to be shut down).

Parents were asked to specify their own preference as to whether a dummy is used. As Emily was in hospital for an extended stay I wanted her to feel as comfortable as possible and so agreed to a dummy, and this was noted in her hospital notes for all the nurses to read. Emily's dummy was kept in Milton in a labelled container under her cot.

The staff in the NICU told me that giving Emily a dummy could help stimulate her early sucking reflex, and she was sucking on her dummy for about a week before she tried breastfeeding. She was then able to breastfeed at the equivalent of 34 weeks gestation.

My firstborn (full term) was breastfed from birth and never had a dummy as there wasn't a need for one. It makes it easier later on if they don't become reliant on a dummy.

I was a private patient - but in a public hospital (Queensland Health). We were advised against dummies (because of the potential interference with bf), but were told if we wanted our baby to have one, we'd have to bring it in ourselves. I took a couple along just in case, but she wasn't interested in taking it anyway.

It is possible however, that if your baby is taken to the nursery for whatever reason (I had a particularly nasty case of the baby blues for a few days and they took Hannah off me for a couple of hours at a time to encourage me to rest) they may do things with your bub that you might not have exactly wanted - not sure about dummies - but when I went in to check on Hannah, she was sleeping on her tummy, which I was NOT happy about. Just make sure they know what your preferences are with respect to various issues (i.e. dummy use, sleeping positions, the giving of cooled boiled water etc.). Your baby is a patient of the hospital, and you are the legal guardian - what you say has to be respected when it comes to any aspect of care for your baby. Just be very clear and firm about what you will and will not allow them to do.

I'm with the others on the sterilisation myth - if it were true it would be a MAJOR scandal, and is against patient care policy and practices in most developed countries!

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm with the others - this sounds like a bit of an exaggerated fib imo.
    I gave Gabby a dummy on day two but that was my choice - the hospital doesn't have them on hand. When I asked my midwife about it, she said it was my decision. She said that other nurses had differing opinions but hers was that dummies were good to encourage the sucking reflex. I got Neil to bring one in from home that day because all Gabby wanted to do was suck! She still has one for her day time naps and for when we go out (if she gets unsettled, it helps to calm her down a little).

Custardtart Guest

Sounds like a bit of baloney to me, too, however you might want to ask at your hospital what the policy is. I was very surpised to find with my second child, six years ago, that they had in fact given her a dummy without asking me, and I wasn't too happy about it, but when I went back to the same hospital for Max there wasn't a dummy in sight. Policies change over time.

I'm sure the staff would NEVER swap dummies between babies, people are extremely aware of the possibility of cross-contamination these days.

Kerrie

I would have to agree with the others. these days they are SO strict with things like sterilisation, I'm sure they wouldn't share unsterilised dummies between babies. my hospital has the policy that if you want your baby to have a dummy you have to bring it yourself.

As others have said though, if you are concerned or it is troubling you still, i would talk to the staff at the hospital about it.

Linda

Thankyou so much for your input guys

Thankfully I am not a dumb person and i realise taht i will be told a lot of crazy things over the next few months, thats why it is great to be able to run things by you guys, thanks again.

When she was saying this to me i was thinking that it would surely be against the law to not sterilise dummies and swap them between babies. Thankfully i have very little contact with this woman so i probably won't have any more horror stories from her :-#

My hospital had a no dummy policy as well - to the extent that if you gave the baby one & it fell out of their mouth they wouldn't replace it :-s I had 2 in my nappy bag but never thought to use them until I got home.

Hi Widdly,

My son was in a private special care nursery for 3 weeks. We were never once offered a dummy. But after a few weeks on traveling back a forth from home 2 to 3 times a day for feeding I brought a dummy in for him just in case he woke before I arrived to feed him. Actaully, I was also told that the dummy may help his sucking reflex because being born at 35 weeks he hadn't developed it yet!!!

It is totally your choice, but the dummy has definately been a total saviour for this family!

Good Luck
    Jaime