Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ears Pierced?

Default Ears Pierced?

Just asking this on behalf of my mum...

The twins are now almost five months old.

She's really struggling to tell them apart on the best of days and has been thinking about getting their ears pierced so she can do something with earrings to tell them apart.

We both think it is maybe a little too young, but that said we both know a lot of European families who have had their girls done at birth.

Her rational is that at the moment they both sleep on their backs and will continue to while their ears heal - whereas were she to wait until eighteen months like with me it will be difficult for them to sleep etc while they're healing.

What are your opinions?
    Any other ideas?

They have bracelets which are obviously nearly always not visible and lockets is out of the question as they will choke. They're too small for headbands so it seemed like a feasible idea?

what about nail polish?

I don't see a problem with it, though it's really personal choice. Many babies have it done & I've known many that have had no probs at all with them & bubs has not played with them or anything like that. I know several parents who have had it done just to save people asking "boy or girl".....I will admitt I prob would get my daughter done around that age if I had one.

paradise lost Guest

I'd do something else - even just buy different colours for them (so pink for one, yellow for the other) until they were bigger, or use the nail polish idea. To me ear piercing is so permanent. It's like getting a tattoo put on them! I'd not want to do that to anyone unless they WANTED it done. And yes, i'm in the UK where there are 3 week old babies pierced already, but i REALLY don't like that! I know at least 2 babies (one boy, one girl) who have had their studs ripped out in exuberant play as toddlers. Not nice at all!

By the time they are 18mos she'll be able to tell them apart by the way they move, talk, act - their personalities come out alot more once they get a bit bigger.

Bx

Why not try the following:

Get them brooches with their names on
    Use different colour ribbons for their hair (if there are enough) or hairclips
    Write their names in marker on the bottom of their shoes.
    I love the nail polish idea and also dressing them in different colours.

I think that pierced ears are a personal choice, like getting a tattoo. Although if you feel like getting their ears pierced so early, that is entirly up to you. I am just giving my opinion.

I had both my daughter's ears pierced at 5mths. I don't see a problem with it - so if she thinks it is a solution for her then why not!!!!

I don't think it's a problem either. I had DD's ears pierced for her first birthday but a friend of mine had her daughter ears pierced around the age of 2 months (or earlier?)
    I say if thats what you want go for it

Just a note, I'd be checking the ingredients in nail polish as bubs will suck & chew on fingers often.

paradise lost Guest

Could she cut one of their hair a little differently (depends how much they have to begin with!)?

Bx

I'd do nail polish as well. I disagree with ear piercing on pre-teens, I think it's an unnecessary (although minor) surgical procedure, and given the associated pain and risk of infection, I think a less invasive method of distinguishing the twins might be a better idea.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I respect all of your opinions on the not-piercing, but even if she weren't to get it done now on them so young, she would probably at eighteen months anyway.

I will take all of your opinions, suggestions & ideas to mum and see what we can come up with.
    Although it would be so much easier if they had hair... they have no hair whatsoever
    And Mum was bald til she was 2!!!

What about henna?
    You can just dip a fingertip in or if you're feeling arty do a design.
    It's non-toxic and temporary.

Oooh Dach that might work... I don't know much about Henna though.
    *goes googling*

The really black stuff has additives in it to make it so dark so if you buy some go for the redder shade because it's more natural.
    There's heaps of places online to buy it from.

DoubleK Guest

i wanted to get Krystals ears pierced for her 1st birthday.. but never got around to it. maybe ill do it for her second.

i think its a good idea for twins!

Just get a black marking texta and write their names on their backs :P

With the ear's though, they are her children so totally up to her if she wants to get he pierced. Both of my girls have their ears done. Tehya was done at 10 weeks and Abbey 12 weeks. Neither have had any problem with them at all. No infection, no issues. I think that getting them done at an older age is when the infections are more likely as they will play with their ears with grubby fingers.

I think it's a great idea for your mum to do.

How are the twins going anyway

thank Trish and Rach.

Trish the twins are doing really well!
    They're slowly catching Alex in height but they're still tiny where as he's a big chubba!!
    Big gummy smiles and cute giggles and Charli has just started to roll over.
    It's so odd to see them with alex becauyse while they look so different they definitely share some of the same of my family genetics
    And mum's still going with the BFing and I'm so proud!! She's comp feeding because of low supply but with my brothers and I she gave up at 6, 8 & 10 weeks... and now with twins she's still going at 20.

Hi, I had my daughters ears pierced at 5months, I would have had them done earlier but hubby was to scared that it might do damage.(an over protective dad of his first born LOL) They've never had an infection and were always commented on how cute they are, my daughter is 5.5years now and her school allows a pair of studs or sleepers to be worn(something I never considered). I think little studs look great on baby girls and your friend could get different colours for her girls which would help her tell them apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast