Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Children's Books

Ohhhhhhhh Sarah what a great topic, I have many many many favourite kids books and have a huge library of them ( I am a junior primary teacher) Tori is a big young for favs, but here are some of my favs that I read to her lots.

My Dad - Anothony Brown
    Too Many Pears- Jackie French
    Pete the Sheep- Jackie French ( love this book because DH is called Pete and he used to be a shearer)
    Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge- Mem Fox (My all time fav)

I could go on and on but those were the ones that popped to mind immeditatley

"Sometimes i like to curl up in a ball" Can't think of the author at the moment but its a goegrous little book about a wombat. Ash and i both LOVE it

"Guess how much I love you" All kids should have this book!

"Humphrey's corner" books by Sally Hansen, the most beautiful illustrations ever and gorgeous books

Humphrey's Corner is the little blue (?) elephant isn't it?

My boys love to read this one every night before bed. its called "My Dad" from the ABC shop.. and its about activities you dowith your dad "My dad takes me to the park" and then they have little actions they do. At the end it says "My dad loves me." Ryan loves reading it to them

We have the little hardcover version of "guess how much i love you" too. I think its a gorgeous book

Mem Fox is brilliant, I love all of her books. My girls loved Time for bed which I used to read to them each night. Wilfred Gordon... makes me cry every time, I have the big book of it for school but I can't read it. Wombat Stew is good too and Where The Wild Things are is still a great book. There are so many wonderful children's books around.

I love reading to Gussy. At the moment our favourite books are "The Gruffalo" and "Monkey Puzzle" both by Julia Donaldson and "Over in the Meadow" by Jane Cabrera

*Owl Babies (Martin Waddell) - absolutely gorgeous book that addresses seperation anxiety.
    *Busy Park, Busy Garden, Busy Beach (etc) (Rebecca Finn) - gorgeous hard books with moving parts and activites inside which are very sturdy. These were Aidyn's favourites up until he was about 2.
    *Can you cuddle like a Koala? (John Butler) - beautiful illustrations and rhyming with a lovely message.
    *Peepo (Janet & Alan Ahlberg) - a classic!

Some of our other favourites have already been mentioned such as the v.hungry caterpillar and Guess how much I love you.

Jenna is a HUGE reader. She must get at least 10 books read to her a day I'd say, plus she goes to bed with books too.
    She loves anything Spot - specially lift the flap Spot books.
    We read Time for Bed by Mem Fox most nights, alternating with Goodnight Me by Cameron Daddo (already mentioned by Sarah).
    She loves her Dr Seuss - her favourites are Mr Brown Can Moo, Can You? and The Foot Book, but recently we bought her the hard covered flap books for ABC and I Can Rhyme, and they are huge hits too. She will open the pages of her Dr Seuss and read to herself - its really cute.
    My favourite book is Rainbow Rob - its a cool book about a penguin that wants to be different colours.
    We also have a great one called Why I Love My Daddy, whish is just lvoely.

OMG - she has soooo many books, and we go to the library each fortnight and get another 5-10.

Ooooh yes, we have Peepo as well, but he's not too fussed on it for some reason.

DS and I have started a routine/tradition of reading Goodnight Moon every night before bed. I can usually gauge his mood and how tired he is - if he is in a good mood and not exhausted yet he will really enjoy reading it - turning the pages and pointing to the pictures but if he isn't in a good mood or is really tired he closes the book and squirms around to have his boobie.

I have several board books (small hardcover ones) of some of the Dr Seuss books and DS will sit on the floor, open the book, babble a bit, turn the page, babble some more. He doesn't have any favourites as yet (he isn't quite one) but some of MY favorites are Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, The Hungry Caterpiller, Love You Forever and Molly's Moe (probably haven't heard of it - very old book by a US author).

Milo loves books.
    He is a Goodnight Me fan too
    He has some board books, and he constantly goes and gets them and comes over to me or DH, hands us the book and sits down for us to read to him.

Some of the other books he has that I read to him are
    Where the wild things are
    Animalia
    What makes a rainbow

For older girls my 7 yr old is heavily into this Fairy series- tonight we read a chapter of Amber the Rainbow fairy. Not fantastic writing but she loves them and we take it in turns to read a chapter. All her friends are into them too.

oh Sarah Matilda's favourite book atm is "who sank the boat?" She loves it!

We also have:
    Go Dog Go
    The King the Mice and the Cheese
    Sometimes I like to Curl up into a Ball

We love "Where is the Green Sheep" by Mem Fox and she is really into "Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosoars" series at the moment. Also loving "Where the Wild Things are" by Maurice Sendak (an old time fave that one) as well as a book called "Three Little Rascals" by Ian Whybrow - great book about 3 naughty rabbits.

Faves in the past have included the Maisy Mouse series, Spot series, Eric Carles " Very Hungry Caterpillar", "Owl Babies", Most Pamela Allen books and a book of mine from when I was a kids called "I am a Monster" about the sesame st characters.

Oh she is really into dinosoars at the moment so loves any books on them.

And also forgot "We're going on a bear hunt" by I think Helen Oxenbury - she loves that as we can make lots of noises and expressions.

We are a huge book family as well and while I have my favourites I love to read to him like many of the Dr Suess stories, Hairy McClary, Guess How much I Love you, there is only one book that we are allowed to read to him atm and its "A B C" by Dr Suess - Matty loves this book so much and he calls it "C" book... very cute, he likes the Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz the best!!

Sarah, yep, Humphrey is the little blue elephant. Ashlea loves humphrey!

Peepo drives me crazy! A nutty mum used to read it to her little boy at the day care centre and all i think about is her when i hear it, its like scratching nails down a blackboard

I love what makes a rainbow too

OMG - I forgot to mention the Hairy Maclarey books. Jenna loves them too - her fabourite one is Schnitzel Von Krumm's Basketwork. She also loves Maisy!
    We have lots of picture books with their names on them. My favourites are thePriddy Books 100 series. We have 100 first words, 100 machines and 100 animals. They are great. Well worth their $12 each

We are in love with a Whiting Queeeeeeen (Lightning McQueen) book at the moment. It's the start of the Cars movie where they have the first race. It was written in Australia, so instead of saying like the movie "it's all gas & go's for McQueen" it's written as "it's all petrol & go's for McQueen" so it's a bit odd.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast