Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fever & lethargic, but nothing else...

Question Fever & lethargic, but nothing else...

I'm not sure what's going on, so was hoping someone could give me an idea....

Yesterday Zander was fine, we went out for lunch, he had a swim in our pool & was generally happy, well & everything was normal. At about 4am he had woken up & wanted a cuddle & I noticed he was hot. He went back to sleep pretty quickly then woke again at 7.30. He was still hot even though I had turned the fan on at 4am for him.

Now an hour later he has laid on the lounge or my bed & hasn't moved much. He didn't want to climb up onto my bed saying "too hard mummy" where normally he bounds up onto the bed to wake daddy up. I asked if his tummy, head, arm, leg etc etc hurt but he says nothing hurts. He doesn't have any spots or anything unusual otherwise.

So what can cause a temp (38.5) and tiredness but nothing else??

Seth has had that before he's got a cold or a sore throat? Keep an eye on him and if the temp doesn't go away or he gets more lethargic I'd take him in just in case.

Well he's just sat up a few minutes ago, climbed off the lounge & announced "my not feel sick now" and has been in talking to daddy! He came out though & said "my tummy feel little bit sore from my baby sister". So I'm thinking he might have a bit of a tummy ache. I have no idea, but laying in the cool with the air con & fan on seems to have dropped his temp & livened him up a bit.

hope it's nothing major Sarah and that Zander is back to his happy bubbly self soon!

OMG that is sooooooo cute Yeah I too hope that he is feeling better soon, I hope its not too hot there as being unwell and hot sucks. *hugs* from auntie cai!

We've had a weird viral thing through our house the last 7 days & I had it for 4, during it I would have chills and be feverish and then suddenly I'd feel fine, than a few hours later I would feel sick again. It lasted like that for 4 days with aches & pains as well. Matilda had it for 2 days & was fine after but Jovie's has turned into an upper respiratory viral infection.... A friends family has had it too with the same things...

The only time Jack has ever laid down when sick was with a tummy bug and then he was ok after vomitting. It was almost a relief when he vomitted because I was so worried about him actually lying down. Hopefully it's not a tummy bug with Zander, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Kids seems to go from seeming really ill to bouncing off walls in no time flat.

My two kids had it but it developed into severe croup at their age! Baby Leo has come down with a fever two days ago, was fine yesterday, but today woke up all whingey with a cough. Sounds like its the same thing as what the older kids had. Worried it will turn into bad croup like their's did.

Hope Zander picks up soon.

Temp still the same & he is dozing off on the lounge which is totally unheard of. Will wait til he wakes then might head off to the Dr.

Temp got up to 39.8 so I tried to con him into some panadol which we disguised in some soft drink, didn't work real well & he's only had around half a dose. That half a dose must've been good because he's perked up, temp has dropped a bit so we're going to stick it out a bit longer.
    Last edited by {sarah}; January 2nd, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Poor lil guy, I hope he is starting to feel better

Yasin gets like that when his ears are playing up or his throat is bad.
    I think it's a good idea to see the Dr so they can check it out.
    It could also be a UTI is he peeing ok?

I hope he feels better soon.

Peeing just fine so far, though he's not drinking alot so it's not very often. Just waiting for some apple juice to freeze in the ice cube trays so I can make him an apple juice icey - I figure the sugar will help because he hasn't eaten yet either.

He's coping ok, just hot & tired and he said his tummy feels better so I'm not really sure where it's come from. I have my antenatal appointment with my GP in the morning so will take him with me to get checked out if he's still off.

Sarah, what's the weather like where you are? If it is really hot, it could be that it is the heat affecting him. A lot of people (young, old, and inbetween) struggle with the warmer weather - especially if it is a sudden hike. They tend to lose their appetite, thirst, and complain of nausea (which decreases their desire to eat and drink). If he perks up in cooler temps, then I'd say that could very well be the culprit. Pop him in a cool bath or the pool and encourage him to drink whenever you can. If it persists by the time you get to the GP for your appointment, I'd def get him checked out.

HTH

MG

Edited because DD hit the send button!

Sarah, how is he now? With Lindsays' most recent tummy bug just before Christmas, it started out with him being lethargic and a bit headachey, but otherwise fine, and then on the 3rd day when I took him to the Dr because he got really lethargic he got the runs, then on day 5 he got vomiting. Fingers crossed it is just the heat and not a tummy bug though - it really drained Lindsay.

At 40.5deg I called the hospital & they said to take him in. When we got in there it was very cool & he started to cool down & come back round a bit, before that he was very sleepy & wasn't moving much. The triage nurse checked him out & his temp just from going into the cool waiting room had dropped to 38.5 so I think it might just be the heat. She noticed some spots on his legs, back & behind his ear that might possibly be chicken pox because it's going round here at the moment....... She said it might not be but to keep an eye on them. We managed to get some panadol into him & he seems his normal self now 1/2 an hour later.

Yeah, Chicken pox is one of those lovely sumer illnesses. Gosh his temp got high though, fingers crossed you can keep it down.

poor zander!! hope he's feeling better soon - and if it is Chicken Pox, i hope it doesn't drive him insane with the itching!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast