Thread: Gastro injection??

Default Gastro injection??

I had today off and on the paeds recomendation I had to get Eliza immunised after a nasty Rotavirus hospital admitance (2 weeks) 12 months ago as she dehydriates as she can not keep fluids down.
    Couldnt get an appointment with my usual GP so went to a clinic and asked pretty much for a rotavirus vacination as per my paed and thinking he would write up a script and I woud get it filled.
    He walked out of the room and returned with a plastic tube out of a sealed foil pack and said this is it and squirted it into her mouth. I then in shock said...so is there any side effects he said no and that was it.I didnt even get charged for it
    I was amazed walking out and came home and rang my GP who I spoke to wanting to know if the rotavirus inj was a jab or a serum. Its a jab and he said I wouldnt give it to Eliza??? OK so anyone in the medical profession know what she may of been given!! I tried to call them to ask but they had closed for Good Friday early and wont be back till Tues. I have no idea what I would tell the emergency department if something was to happen tonight.
    DH keeps telling me that they prob gave her saline
    Thanks heaps
    Bec
    She is sleeping with me JIC!!
    I cant believe I let someone just squirt stuff into her mouth without checking it all out

Not sure of it comes in two forms. But the rota virus vax i have seen is oral administration. I would be pretty confident to say it was the rota virus Vax. But you should be able to ring the clinic and get the exact details. They would have a record of what she was given. Not 100% but i think the vax can give them an upset tummy and maybe a fever as it is a live vax. I am sure someine will know more than me.
    Hope she is fine tonight. xx

Thomas had his 4 mth immunisation today and the rotavirus vaccine was giving to him in a clear liquid form that they squirted into his mouth

The rotavirus my DS had was a liquid that the nurse squirted into his mouth. I'm sure your DD was given the correct thing, but definitely call back when they're open to be absolutely sure.

I think there might be 2, cos MCHN said they can have a 'jab' for it but it was to be at or before 2 months old, and that there was no point haveing it any later than that.

So maybe the oral serum is what they give to older kids?

My DS had the rotavirus immunisation as an oral medication at the 2 and 4 month immunisations.

Thank you all so much..I feel alot better. My usual GP said he wouldnt give it to her because of her age..I was thinking she was too young but obviously is is the point she is too old for the original course at 12 weeks.
    I'm sure it was the serum now, and because it was diagnosed when she was in hospital with a stool sample they knew it was rotavirus she was exposed to it then.
    Well I have learnt alot today and thankfully she is still her usual self
    Bec

Hey Bec,

I would go with what the Paed suggested as kids is their specialty. He will also have decided to give the R'Virus based on DD's medical history (which your GP would as well but they might be as ofae with what has been happening IYKWIM). Also, if your worried about what you gave DD - have you still got the pack? It will say on there. And if you need to rock up to ED - I am sure they will be able to take bloods and work out what is happening. Try not to worry too much (I know, easier said than done!). I am sure she will be fine.

MG

It does sound like your DD was given the rotavirus vaccine, but I am unsure as to why your paediatrician would suggest it. It is not routinely offered to children over the age of 6 months as rotavirus after that age is not dangerous, although it can be an annoyance and cause weight loss; more strange, though, is that it shouldn't be offered to children who have had confirmed rotavirus as it is unnecessary - as the child is already immune.

So, very odd on your Paed's part.

I think the reason for the vaccination was that at 18months she contracted Rotavirus and went down hill classified as a 2 when we presented at emergency. She had lost 3 kilos in 2 days and was unresponsive even when they NGT her. It took 2 weeks for her to get on top of it with NGT after the initial vomiting started. Then a week later was admitted again after it presented again but was given IV to re-hydriate her so she wouldnt end up the way she was 2 weeks previous.
    He told me at my follow up appointment in his rooms that it would be advised to do it as she is a "vomiter".
    Bec
    Still waiting for them to open again

Hey there Bec.

I was going to say that the vax that DS was given was fluid and given orally, but was also going to raise the age thing...I had heard that they wouldn't do it after 6 months, and have had some friends really disappointed that they couldn't get their children vaccinated who are prone to getting every bug under the sun.

I am sure your paed knows what he is doing, but I am sure you now have a few questions for them.

Hopefully you got some answers today and she went ok overnight.

p.s will be keeping fingers crossed for April, haven't looked on AC threads lately for various reasons, but thinking of you lots.

Quote Originally Posted by summerluven View Post
    I had heard that they wouldn't do it after 6 months, and have had some friends really disappointed that they couldn't get their children vaccinated who are prone to getting every bug under the sun.
    The problem with rotavirus (and the reason they only offer it to under-six-month-olds) is that you only ever get it once, and after that you are immune; and that after the age of six months, it doesn't cause the same kind of severe dehydration as it does in little babies. So it's a bit of a "one-shot-wonder", so to speak.

Given how contagious it is, though, if you're unlucky enough to have an under-six-month-old in daycare, I'd definitely recommend getting it.

Ah, well I will have to let them know that. I remember one of them whingeing about it when DH and I were saying that DS had received it. Knowing this child, it has probably already had it, the poor little bugger.

Thanks for clarifying that.