Thread: rolling (or more precisely NOT rolling)

Default rolling (or more precisely NOT rolling)

DS is a little over 4 months - and he isnt rolling...
    I am pretty sure this is 'normal' but i see bubbas all around rolling away and now i got an email from one of those baby websites (not BB) with what a baby does around now and it is all about rolling so I am becoming paranoid...
    Is this OK?
    anything i should be doing differently? he has lots of mat time each day, has good head control etc...
    I am sure I am being paranoid and every baby diff blah blah but it is on my mind so i thought i'd post...

Olivia NEVER rolled until we "taught" her how to when she was 11 months.

Honestly, don't stress.

Alot of the babies in DD2 baby group are all rolling at 3 months. DD is no where near interested or even tries to roll. DD1 rolled at 16 weeks exactly.

All kids develop at different times. I get emails to telling me what my child 'should' be doing at certain ages and i used to get all upset if DD1 wasnt doing it. but in the end i realised my kids will do things when they are ready and those emails are guidelines..and that everyone elses kids may develop different things and at diff times to mine.

DD1 was saying words before all the others in her group...but she walked later etc.

Dont take it to heart....your DS will roll...and then u will wish he never learnt

yep i keep thinking to myself how it will be harder when he rolls and i know i am being silly but thanks for the reassurance guys...
    Lucy - did she crawl before she rolled or did she not move at all til then?
    Noah is quite a little chatterbox xo maybe sport just wont be his thing LOL!

My sons have all rolled at different ages.. 5 months for my first 6 months for my 2nd and my 3rd didn't roll until 10 months.. and they were all fine., I didn't give much tummy time as they didn't like it...

So all kids are different,..

Pregpan - still no signs of rollling here either! Just think how much easier it is, I put her on the playgym, she's still there when I come back from the bathroom, rather than stuck in a corner crying!!

Lucy - did she crawl before she rolled or did she not move at all til then?
    Olivia was a total non mover. She sat unassisted very early (about 5 months?) and then just never moved! We taught her to roll over at 11 months. And then at 12 months she finally started to bottom shuffle. Never crawled at all. Didn't pull herself up onto furniture till she was 15 months. Didn't walk till she was 20 months. BUT she was talking very clearly in 2 word sentences by 14 months. So I reckon she just focused on all the verbal skills rather than the gross motor. (Like me, too busy gas-bagging, LOL!)

I should add, I'll admit to being worried at the time. (She was my first.) But she is perfect and now physically very adept , very physically coordinated and dexterous (she is nearly 4).

It is totally understandable to be concerned. But in hindsight I know you don't need to be!

Lucy, PMSL @ gas bagging!!

Oskar sounds very similar to Olivia. He can roll (has done it twice) but sat unassisted from about 5 1/2 months and was quite happy with that. HATES tummy time even now. So I just don't do it, it's not worth him being so unhappy and crying about it. He has just learnt in the past 2 or 3 weeks to bum shuffle his way around and is VERY happy with his newly learnt skill. He doesn't pull himself up on furniture or anything either. He's getting very chatty too so maybe a chatter like his mum!!

Can't remember when Maggie first rolled, but I know at one check up the MCHN was concerned and told me to "teach" her to roll. She hated it, so I did not bother, once she did roll, I could not stop her. So much for her being behind anyway, she caught up and ran ahead of others. She was the first to pull herself to standing in my mothers group and the first to walk.

DS rolled over at 8w old. He then never did the roly-poly rolling other babies do, he never crawled, he went straight to walking. He'll do the odd bum-shuffle in the bath, but that's it.

He also never did lying-to-sitting until about 6w ago and only pulled up by himself last week, age 11 months! He's a clever boy and great at walking and talking, but I think he thinks the baby stuff is beneath him, he gives babies who do baby things such contemptuous looks!

All babies develop differently and at 10 years old who cares who rolled over first? Everyone can do it at that age!

pregpan, My DD is 4 months and is not showing any signs of rolling, she is happy as larry on her back or tum at the moment and not interested in moving anywhere! She too has great head control and loves her tummy time.
    I say unsubscribe from the website sending you the emails!

Side note- i heard babies can only develop in one area at a time. So he may be working on his sounds and language skills at the moment, then will work on movement later. This is why bubs often regress with their speech when they start walking. Or bub's that dont move can verbalise well.

My kids were 5 and 6 months when they rolled. They were 9 & 10 months when they sat up, and 13 and 15 months when they walked.

Both of them are normal, healthy kids - I don't go to MCHN's or take any notice of anything that outlines milestones because both my kids do these things "late", but they are fine and I dont' need the stress.

I think alot of the time we have to listen to our gut too - a child that has physical delays will exhibit signs other than not rolling by a certain time and it's looking at a few different issues in conjunction with eachother that might possibly indicate a problem.

But at 4 months I wouldn't be concerned at all

thanks all you have made me feel a lot better....