Thread: sleep association

Exclamation sleep association

I have been talking to a few people from sleep centres, and they have told me that i should be getting Charlotte out of wrapping, and giving her b/f's over night, as all of these are leading us to having bad night sleeps at the moment.
    Last night she feed at 7:45 and then feed at 10:30 she woke up around 1:30am and i got up with her at 2:30 where she feel straight to sleep on the boob put her back to bed and she slept till 6:45am.
    I was also told that because she is still feeding over night that she wont be hungry for solids during the day, as she is not really taken to them.

I am really lost in what to do, I have been booked into a sleep school in Rosebud for one night on the 15th of feb, but i would prefer to get though it our selfs, also she is still sleeping in our bedroom, should i think of changing her to her bed room?

BAH! what a load of hogwash. what your baby is doing is NORMAL and you are doing the best thing how you are doing it now imo
    sleep schools work solely on 'parental convienience' imo, and completely ignore the health and wellbeing of the child!

I have to agree with Joh. Amazing the things they will tell you in reference to how a 'normal' child should be. Maddy will be 14 months old in a fortnight. She only began to start sleeping through the night at around 10 months old, and that was with generally a 1am feed. It didn't matter what time I fed or put her to bed, she needed that middle-of-the-night feed for security, to help her through the night.

If you're happy with your current situation than try to take the comments with a grain of salt and continue doing what feels good for you. Maddy was still having anywhere up to 4 feeds from 7pm through to 6am at that age, and it didn't stop her from eating solids.

This worked personally for us, but I found moving Maddy into her own bedroom at about 6 months a godsend. Yes, you do need to get out of bed to feed them but I found she slept much more soundly in a separate room than she ever did in ours. She was never made to feel deserted in moving her into her room for night sleeps. Maddy was put to bed awake and told the same thing every night. I can't comment on the wrapping as Maddy hated it from the beginning and I think we stopped attempting to wrap her at about 2 months old. Miss Houdini.

Could she be teething? I found that whenever Maddy started getting into a better sleep pattern at night, she would throw it all out the window a few weeks later when she'd cut a new tooth.

Do what you feel is best hon, it is frustrating when they try putting all babies into the same basket when they're not. I even tried feeding Maddy longer at her bed feed (7pm) but it didn't change when she woke up for feeds. It was obviously something she just needed at the time (comfort, growth spurts etc) and she soon settled down and started to drop her feeds herself.

Good luck hon!

Nina is still waking twice a night, is on 2 solids a day, loves them, but still waking at night ... perfectly normal!! She wakes at similar times to Charlotte, and I feed her each time, she'll have a drink and go back to sleep. If you're happy to continue doing this, then I suggest keep going with it.

It really does not bother me here waking for feeds over night, i can handle them, the problem is that she wont really settle until anywhere between 9-11pm at night, so i really don't get a good few hours sleep when i go to bed, i think this is why I am so tired.
    AS with the solids, this also does not bother me, she may just take awhile to take them.

Kelly maybe look at what is going on around that time - is she over tired? Maybe that is just her witching hour? Does she have a big nap late in the day perhaps?

I agree with the others that it all sounds like [email protected] - Flynn regularly feeds over night - and they are big feeds - and eats huge amounts of solids during the day. I feed him to sleep whenever I can and I can tell you, the times overnight I have tried to settle him in the middle of the night without a comfort feed have meat that the 3 of us (Flynn, DH and me) all end up stressed and tired.

I cant remember when callum was sleeping through but I know it was after 6 months. But I was giving him to many feeds as he was only on 150mls so I thought he wasnt getting enough milk. I ketp the same about of mls but dropped a bottle. He ate more and started sleeping through. I do know that they say breast feed babies tend to wake more as its a comfort thing but im not sure that is so. I hope things get better for you but im sure your doing what your meant to do. All babies are different.

I have been told a lot lately (by opinionated people!!!!) that I need to start control crying my DS. He's only 5 months old and still feeds twice during the night. He will go back to sleep after feeding but I don't think it's for comfort because he actually seems hungry - grabbing at my boobs and shirt. Recently he has been having trouble staying asleep once put down for the night. For example, last night he went down at 6pm and then woke at 6:30pm and we needed to rock him to sleep. He ended up crying for over an hour before finally going down at 7:50pm. He then slept until 10:30pm and then again until 1pm when he woke both times for a feed. I'm not sure if this is quite okay or not but others are telling me to start the whole control crying thing and I'm a bit anxious about it.

1timemum - Alot of people like to offer suggestions/critique and sometimes it can be very hard to handle. Truth be told, if you're anxious about the idea of control crying then it's not for you. Honestly, it is a difficult thing to do. You'll find a very mixed bag of opinions about CC. I used the method myself, it worked for us and it was something my husband & I chose to do.

Just because your little man isn't sleeping through the night at 5 months does not mean there is anything wrong with him...it's always so frustrating when people like to tell you otherwise. He's at an age where they go through a myriad of developmental stages. Many also experience teething at this age, so it's not unusual for them to be really unsettled.

If you're ok with what you're doing, have faith in it and keep going. There is nothing wrong with the approach you're taking (rocking him to sleep, feeding him during the night when he wakes up). It will get better!

That 5-9pm period seems to be when a lot of babies have their 'witching hours'. Mine certainly did. For the longest time no matter what we did, she just screamed between 7pm-9pm. All we could do was do our best to make sure she was comfortable and pray for a time when she grew out of it! *L*

Well.. Tallon still has big feeds over night (once or twice).. eats 3 solid meals a day.. I feed him to sleep almost every sleep...and he doesn't go to bed for 'big' sleeps until about 9.30/10.00.

He's a happy, healthy little boy... so ... I must be doing something wrong huh. LOL.

I've had the controlled crying pressure from a few people, but thankfully those people don't live with us.. so really, whatever we do, doesn't affect them.. so just ignore their comments I say.

Tallon is in his own room, but ends up in our bed with his early morning feed.. but sometimes he'll only settle in our bed, so spends the whole night with us. We do whatever works at the time.

Keep following your instincts Kelly.. sounds like everything is very normal in your household. If you're happy, and bub is happy.. why change it??

I have done CC but dont really like it...I think I did it maybe 4 times but as for not sleeping through they say most kids dont untill after 6 months...im sure other babies do and every baby is different. If your feeding, I know its a pain to have to get up in the night but just remember it wont last...then you will miss the feeding(time together) i know i did.

Good luck

Charlie didn't sleep through the night until he was about 12 months... I only really stopped feeding him at night when he was 8 months..... at that time he was eating like gannet during the day, so when I weaned him off I knew that he was waking for comfort rather than food!! I tried the controlled crying once for about 3 minutes and it broke my heart so stopped!! What ever your little one does it is completely normal for that child!! If I can suggest... If you have time during the day maybe you can put your head down for a nap, 5 minutes sleep can affect the way you look at everything!

good luck

mumoftwo Guest

Im going through the same thing that you are so I know how confused you are feeling!! It's now the 16th of Feb - did you end up going to Sleep Centre?? If so how did it go? Elyssa is 10 months old and I just stopped wrapping her at 8 months. She liked to be wrapped, it helped settle her so I kept doing it until I noticed she didn't need it anymore.

In regards to feeding at night - Elyssa also has one to two feeds at night. I was breastfeeding until a month ago and she used to almost always fall asleep at the breast (which I was told was a big no no - oops!!) I find if she wakes up in the middle of the night and I dont give her a feed we'll be up with her for hours but if I give her a quick feed we all get back to sleep very quickly - sometimes she still doesnt settle and ends up in bed with us (which according to alot of people is also a big mistake!).

I was thinking about going to a sleep clinic with her but at the end of the day I know what they are going to do there which is control cry and I dont want to do that. I control cried my son when he was 18 months old and that worked out well but Im not ready to do that with Elyssa yet. She's still my little baby and Im enjoying being able to comfort her like no one else can.

We just moved so we decided to put Elyssa in her own room instead of with us which is where she previously was. I have to say that it does help with her being in her own room because sometimes she will settle herself and go back to sleep when she wouldn't have before when she could see me. Also she a very light sleeper so she sleeps better in her own room.

I say listen to your heart and do what feels right for you and your baby. Don't be forced to do anything you dont want to do because you're told that your baby 'should' be doing this and 'should' be doing that.

Good luck with everything!!