Thread: sleep help needed

Question sleep help needed

Jack has slept thru from around 10 weeks so all has been great maybe a dozen times where he woke till he turned 13 1/2 mths, we had a extremely busy dec only being hom 8 nights from 26th nov - 31 st dec

well he is waking at 2am every night screamign nothing excpet being brought into our bed or on futon with me will settle him, he sleeps for approx 2hrs most days around lunch time occasionally it will be a 40min nap all day *yawn*

we try to get him down aroudn 8pm but he usually falls asleep only if we are on our bed or on futon and then its between 9pm-10pm we have no play after 7.30pm

I am at the stage where I am thinking of offering him a bottle at 2am he has never gone to bed with a bottle....thats how desperate I am, I am not for CIO have tried it and it makes the matter worse he gets himself so worked up he has at times vomited

am wondering if it could be his eye teeth, we have had no troubles with teething just a bit clingy when they coming thru no major problems he has 12 teeth, I am at my wits end I want to sleep in my bed, with my hubby......

he has been in his own room since birth at our holiday home he sleeps in a seprate room in a port-a-cot

what can I do besides CIO................HELP!!!!!!!!!

Ellibam Guest

i asked pinky mckay about this the other night and she just said to sleep withthem !if it makes you get your sleep then do that he will eventually go back to his own bed
    hth

Oh Rachel, I feel for you. I have a 2 1/2 year old that co-sleeps with us (not by choice) but it is the only way that we get any sleep. I also have a 13 week old and he even sleeps through the night - no problems. My DS was the same and we eventually took him into our bed because it was the ONLY way but looking back it was the worst thing we could have done (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone)! I miss cuddling and snuggling with my hubby because DS is in the middle of us. He just refuses to go into his own bed. I know people out there are saying "who is the parent, you have to be tough" we have tried and tried and even got to the point where we paid a childhood nurse / midwife to come into our home to show us how to get him to sleep in his bed.... This worked for about 1 week and then it started all over again. I am sorry I haven't been of much help but I know how frustrating it is and I am hearing everything you are saying. At the end of the day you need your sleep and you have to do what you can but boy it's hard and it doesn't get any easier - especially when they WILL NOT sleep or even attempt to sleep in their own bed. Good Luck... xxoo

thanks Elli my hubby is getting a bit tired of sharing our bed IYKWIM!!!

he thinks we are going to have huge troubles if we keep it up

my almost 10 month old has started waking in the night, the problem being she WILL NOT go back to sleep, not even in my bed with me... last night she was up 1am-4.30am... i would give anything for her to settle in bed with me.... i guess none of this helps you, but take comfort in the fact that you at least have a temporary solution for the night waking... it could be worse, you could be walking the hallways with him... (and me!)

Hi Rach,
    I think the key might be getting Jack to fall asleep when put down for his night sleep alone. You could try gradually removing parent imput if he is used to having you in/on the bed/cot by standing beside him to fall asleep then gradually move away until he can nod off without you actually in the room. May take some time but would mean not using CC/CIO. Then, if he wakes in the night he should, in time, be able to turn over and go back to sleep without your input (or your input might be to go in give a kiss/soothe, then go out again). 2am would probably be the end of a long sleep cycle for Jack where he stirs and then wants/needs you to help him return to sleep.
    I disagree with being told to sleep with your child if it's not what you want to do as it can be detrimental on relationships IMO. If people are happy to co-sleep then that's great for them.

thanks girls

Jac he was up too 1 1/2mths ago would go down semi awake no dramas but at ou rholiday home he sleeps in living area so when he was ready to go down for night we would put him on our bed, and then transfer him

but since we have got home he wont go in cot to fall asleep he will pass out on our bed or lounge or futon and then transfer he always used to sleep thru but this waking is a new thing

and yes I dont want to co-sleep every night I dotn mind the occasional ealry morning wake up and sleep in together but not every night

well anyway lets see how we go tonight, he had a 1/2 hr nap all day *yawn* anyway he settle himself to sleep on the futon but he self settle so better than nothing, and is in bed by 8.30pm woooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! big thing for us, hoping he stays down now, I did :blush: give him some nurofen tonight in case it is teeth bothering him during night, I thought panadol would wear off by the 2am wake up bit where as nurofen will last longer