Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Swimming

I usually put them in a nappy at the pool and at busy beaches and nude at quieter beaches.
    I don't take them out much in the hotter part of the day and we use lots of sunscreen and a hat.

I have bought a reusable swim nappy, I alwas put my DD in an all in one or boardies and rashie fo swimming because she is so fair.

We've started going swimming with Jesse and he wears Little Swimmer nappies (theyre with all the disposible nappies) and either a 1 piece swimsuit or swim pants and a rashie.

Thanks everyone for your advice... I will probably start off in the pool before heading to the beach I think. I can just imagine DS eating sand and I'm very worried about the sand as I find them annoying - how much more for a baby!

Thanks again everyone... I feel confident in taking baby to the water

*GROUP HUGZZ!*

Taking up on your offer and asking a question to Shar:

Apart from holding baby in the water, what activities can I do with my 12 month old in the pool? I want him to get comfortable with me holding him in the water before taking swim lessons.

He's never been in a pool before, so I'm not sure how he'll react.

Thanks Shar!!

My three are regular little fish......a reusable swim nappy and an all in one rash suit for them all......

In terms of what to do, (and Shar will be able to add to this in more detail, I am sure!)

~ Songs that get them used to moving around in the water
    ~ Monkeying around the side of the pool edge (to help build their upper body strength to ultimately enable them to pull themselves out of the water, as well as for them to gain the understanding that the pool edge is the safe spot, IYKWIM?)
    ~ Songs that give them the idea of kicking in the water
    ~ Blowing bubbles at the water level
    ~ Getting their hair and face wet & wiping the water away from their faces

(My 3 have been in lessons for ages......I could run the class I know it so well, LOL!)

At 12 months, I think it is all about building confidence?

Default Urgent help needed! Baby swim lessons

Hi,

my 7m old has his first swimming lesson tomorrow, and I've just realised I've got no idea what he should wear. We've got a Speedo Aquanappy but I don't see how that would keep anything in, because the legs aren't tight enough (my DS is quite slim). I'm assuming he would wear them without a normal nappy underneath - is this right?

Anyone got any advice? Happy to buy him another type of swimming nappy, but I'd need to do that this afternoon, so not much time!!

Thanks!

You can get huggies swimming nappies. Perhaps get some just in case.

Chloe wears Huggies swimmer nappies for her swimming lessons, which were a bit loose on her to start with (she was 6 months old and pretty small). They work really well though, and you can get them from coles or woolies.

I agree with Krysalyss, go get some Huggies Aqua Nappies. You can buy the size to fit and they will keep everything in. You can use the speedo ones when they get a bit older. As for a top, you can either leave him without one or get a rash vest which tends to keep them warmer in the pool. Hope you and your DS enjoy it, its great fun

Thanks, everyone! I got the Huggies and they did the job, despite being a bit big. DS loved his swim lesson - he's already really good at breast-stroke legs!

Moving this to Baby & Toddler General Discussion.

shar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by babycoolz View Post
    Taking up on your offer and asking a question to Shar:

Apart from holding baby in the water, what activities can I do with my 12 month old in the pool? I want him to get comfortable with me holding him in the water before taking swim lessons.

He's never been in a pool before, so I'm not sure how he'll react.

Thanks Shar!!
    Sorry I only just saw this!

I would suggest doing this such as floating on their back with their head on your shoulder, cheek to cheek. Bubble blowing (a good one is to say "bubbles" and then blow on their hand and then in the water so they get the idea).

If you hold him with a side hold (tummy down with your hands under their armpits, thumbs on top, fingers on chest) you can do kicking. Also manipulating his hands in a doggy paddle motion (underwater) whilst sitting with your back against the wall and child on your raised knee.

A lot of it is hard to explain without demonstrating I have just discovered! The other major thing we do is submerging but you could do cup pours though (which you can also do at home in the bath), use your cue "*name* are you ready 1,2,3" and then pour a small amount of water over the face from back to front. You are looking for signs such as eyes closed, mouth closed, shaking head etc. to show aquatic readiness.

Another thing you can do if they are walking is let them fall down in the shallows. Too often parents snatch up children when they fall in the water and this instills a fear of water. Give them a few seconds (and I know it feels like hours!) to find their feet and if you still have to help one hand under the chest and one under the bottom is best.

As suggested there are plenty of songs you can do as well. Oh and swimming with aids on is good just dont do it all the time and watch for their mouth dropping into the water a lot.

Hope that helps a bit and isnt too late

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456