Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Swimming

Woo hoo just booked Ella into a mums and bubs swimming class at my local pool. 10 lessons - one a week - for $98...not bad. Great stuff - can't wait to start!!! Actually it was a good time for this thread as the lessons begin at the end of this month so i'm glad i'm gonna be beginning with everyone and not going half way through!

Fire Fly Guest

I started #1Dd when she was 18 months, i would of started her earlier but was unable to because of the cast. She is still going now and doing really well.
    Her brother started at 7 months, didnt like it at first but now loves it. Its amazing how quickly they pick things up at that age.

My kids will keep going till I am confident that if they ever fall in a river or dam (which we have)or pool that they can get themselves out of trouble. I actually think it should be conpulsory that your kids learn to swim.

I agree with you on the "it should be compulsory for kids to learn to swim". Think about how many kids drown every year?

Mya atarted swimming lessons around the same age as faith & hated it, but after acouple of lessons she was loving it.

She absolutly loves the pool & water in general now

Default swimming

my baby is 4 months old and we are going to a water park shortly. i am just wondering if children this old are ok in chlorinated water? also will the water be too cold for her, cause i know that bath water has to be body temperature. also, what is the minimum age that children can be enrolled in swim schools?

There is baby swimming and there is baby swimming, Hollo. Some pools have water 'familiarisation', which is really not about the baby at all because babies know all about water, having spent 9 months floating in fluid! These classes are more for the parents to have an opportunity to handle babies in water.
    I actually do BabySwim here in Melbourne and it is a well-researched program run by Cookie Haguette, who has lots on international links to the subject. Again, it's more for me to learn all the things Oscar can do in water and to then teach him how to survive in water as he grows (like entering the water safely, finding the edge of a pool to hang onto, the steps to get out from etc). It's a bit more involved than that, but I am simplifying it here!
    BabySwim is recommended as soon as possible after birth, but I know that mainstream swim centre classes are from at least 12 weeks.
    It is really lots of fun to get in the water and play games with your baby in the water - the other day I had lots of smiling patrons at the local pool because I took my 5 month old in, dunked him a few times and had quite a bit of laughing and fun

Hollo - the swim centre I go to in Melb recommends they start at 6 months. I have been going to the same centre for 3 1/2 years and my DD loves it and she is now starting to swim on her own with no floaties! I know its recommended the water to be a certain temp for young babies (higher temp than most public pools). The water park might have a heated pool and your DD will probably love it. Hope it goes well and enjoy it.

Yep, try a hydrotherapy pool if you want to do playswims on your own

Just hold him the whole time, Tanya When going in, hold him with his back against your chest, with your arm around his chest so that he floats from bum up when you enter. Use floaties when he's more comfy in depth of the pool and can move more independently in it. You can do a few things - float him on his back, swish him around on his front, facing you and get his face wet.
    You also don't need all the UV stuff if you're in an indoor pool, just a swim nappy of some description. It's probably best if they can feel the water on their bodies before you start to cover them up.
    Most of all, smile lots and make sure he is far enough away from your face so that he can focus on your positive expressions!

I cant wait to get Charlotte into a pool I am so glad her cleft palate wont stop her from experiencing it at an early age. Will be more difficult when she has grommets but thats another story
    I could swim (well kinda) before I could walk and its always been a big thing in my family. We came from the tropics and needed to beat the heat some how ! I also was a competitive swimmer and did synchronised swimming in my early teens.

I think swim schools run with the normal school terms, and the age I think depends on the swim school u will go to. Charlotte is booked in to start next Feb.. just give them a call and find out! I dont think taking your 4 mth old for a quick dip at the water park would be a bad idea either.. sounds like fun! I have done a little checking on the internet and there doesnt seem to be a minimum age to take them in.... HAVE FUN

Tulip - I was in the water with my DD until she was 3 years old, now she goes in on her own with me watching from the sidelines. Most baby classes are conducted using songs and nursery rhymes making it fun rather than any swim techniques, like "if you happy and you know it, splash your hands" and you and baby splash the water. It is alot of fun. They usually do the same thing every class as babies love repetition. Good luck with your move.

Mackenzie has been swimming lessons since she was 9 months old and today went up from her 'baby' classes to a transistion class. We think learning to swim is soooo important that we didn't mind being in the same class for so long (she nearly 2.5 years) even though she did get bored with it. She was great at everything, kicking even diving (yes diving) in from the side of the pool but she was too young to go up a class and swim on her own (she is tall for her age but she needed to be tall enough to stand at the shallow end of the pool). She was wonderful today although I was a bit worried as it was such a big change from her normal lesson but she did great. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you take them from a young age be prepared to continue doing the same thing for a long time as they do need to be a certain height and be able to listen to instruction etc before they can move up a class. We decided to perserver with the lessons as we thought that taking her out of swimming would be far worse (ie when she was old enough to do the next class she would be afraid of the water or have gone backwards etc) than the few tantrums we were getting due to bordom of the class. It is also a great way to meet other parents and not to mention the exercise for you both!

We started a few weeks ago. At our swim school, they take them from 6 months. The water babies classes are water familiarisation and safety (getting back to side of pool etc) up to the age of 2, then they go up a class. Our classes run all year, we just pay by the month. It doesn't go by school terms at all.

Tanya - Floaties won't keep him buoyant that young. We have a back bubble on, and arm floaties, but they don't really do anything... it's more for him to get used to them. Altho, the back bubble does enable me to just hold his hands so that he can kick a bit better.

Default Swimming Lessons

Hi everyone, In the lead up to my daughter reaching 6 months I'm interested to know what people looked for in a swimming school. I know they take them from 6 months. What things didn't you like?

Thanks, Laura

We based ours on recommendations from other mums. Also looked for one that was heated/hydrotherapy so that we could continue classes through the colder months. After a couple of terms you came to recognise which teachers were better then others and hence why their class times were always so hard to get into! But it is all a bit trial and error.

DD started from 4 months old and was a real natural waterbaby, no fear etc. She also had a bath seat - which I know that some people say inhibits them when learning to swim but we didnt have a problem at all.

DS on the otherhand hasnt started formal lessons as where we live they dont offer them. But we take him swimming as often as we can.

We take all 3 of our littlies to swimming lessons, and I picked a pool that we could go to all year round, a pool that is has AUSTSWIM accreditation, and a pool that has appropriate lesson times so that we can do all 3 lessons in one morning............(ends up we have an early start on a Sunday........have to be there at 8am to fit all 3 in, but it is SO SO worth it.......they LOVE their sunday mornings!)

Make sure you go and watch a few lessons before hand, to make sure your happy with how the instructor conducts clasases, and what she/he is teaching the kiddies...

We've been to a few now and we've ended up back at the first one even though we have to drive further to get there. This is why we like it
    -it's not draughty (one of the schools we went to always had windows open even when it was freezing out), the heating works in winter and the water is always a nice temprature
    -it's not too big (the Homebush aquatic center was way too big - huge class sizes and the place was so crowded that anyone could have nicked our stuff without us noticing)
    -it's austswim acreditted
    -we like the instructors
    -they only have 4 babies per class
    -they run a class on most days so it's easy to schedule catch up lessons

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast