Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you have in your nappy bag?

Debbie Lee Guest

Great idea for this thread Sarah.
    I have bought a back-pack style nappy bag. It is just plain black and looks really nice. I wanted to get something plain so that Neil wouldn't feel like a big dork when he has to carry it around (he is sensitive about that sorta thing).
    I have already packed some old cloth nappies for spew-cloths, 5 disposable nappies (but I think I will put more in after reading this post!), a dummy (it has a special little dummy-holder section that hangs off the side as well as a mobile phone holder), it came with a fold-out change pad and, like yours, Sarah, it has a sealed section for smelly-bits, nappy sacs (which smell so divine!!), one of those huggies travel wipe thingys, I bought a small zip-up case for creams etc. once I get them, bibs and many other things. I still haven't put in a change of clothes as I am not sure what size the bubs will be in to begin with and I am sure there is stacks more for me to add. I will probably use it as my handbag aswell (one less bag to have to remember).
    My only vice with the back-pack style is that it may not fit over the handle-bar of the pram. I have noticed that most prams these days have a solid all-in-one bar that you can't really hang things off (like shopping bags etc). Where an over-the-shoulder nappy bag has a large strap that would fit over, the back pack doesn't. I think you can buy hooks or special attachments to be able to accomodate for hanging things??? Will have to check it out.

Hey deb, your bag sounds like the same one as mine - I got it from Target & it's a (just went to check!) Ryco Deluxe Nursery Backpack.

I have an Oroton nappy bag, which looks just like a big black handbag........Andrew calls it "The Tardis" as it looks nice and small and compact but actually carried loads.

I use it as my normal handbag....so my keys, mobile, wallet and sunnies are always in there as well.

Darwin is a small place and we are only ever 20 mins max from home, so I tend to only carry a nappy & some wipes & water fro Olivia, but I do have a carrier bag int he back of the car with a spare outfit, extra nappies etc in it.

Also, my pram has a generous pocket in the back, so I also have a spare nappy & some wipes in there too, so if we are doing a quick rurnaround I don't bother with the bag at all...........

Just a tip for you girls. When you get your Bounty bags from hospital - you should already have one. They give you sample sized creams and stuff. These are great for putting into your bag, they take up less room and weigh less. I still have the container from the Sudocream from Noah which I just refill as I have a big jar at home and put it back into the bag when needed.

Take care
    Trish

I was thinking of that too Trish. I had a whole heap of samples of nappy rash cream & powder given to me (thanks again Kelly) and I plan to use those in my nappy bag.

Melinda Guest

In my bag I have:

Bibs (and loads of them!)
    Spare set of clothes x 2
    1 or 2 Toys
    Cloth Nappies which is use for burping etc
    Bunny Rugs x 2
    Baby Wipes
    Nappies x 8
    Botty Butter (Tasmanian-made non-petroleum based cream for bottoms!)
    Face Washer
    Other wipes for cleaning hands etc
    Jacob's 'Blue Book' (Health Record Book)
    Plastic Bags for dirty clothes/bibs
    Nappy Sacks for dirty nappies
    Changing mat
    Dummy x 2
    Insulated Bottle Bag (with bottles, formula etc).

I *think* that's about it LOL. We also have a spare bag in the car just in case we dart out without taking the main bag, and that contains all the basics, not everything on the list that is in our main bag. I also usually take one more bottle with me than what I think I will need, just in case.

My bag also has a section for my things, like wallet, phone, keys etc which is great. Depending on the day I might also throw in another hat or a blanket etc. Oh, and my motto always is "when in doubt, take 2" and by that I mean at LEAST 2 LOL!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Yep, we have the same nappy bag, Sarah! I fell in love with it when I saw it. I have seen similar bags in more boutiquey shops that are 3 or 4 times the price so I was happy to pick one up at Target for a pretty good price (I think it was $39.95 from memory).

Trish- I haven't received a bounty bag yet Maybe at my 36 week appointment? After all, the plan is that I don't go back to the hospital until then unless I get put back on high risk. I guess my next visit to the Dr. will establish that!

It was more expensive here $45 and that was at the after Christmas sales with $15 off.

Debbie Lee Guest

Bummer. Yeah, I think I must have grabbed it while there was 30% off nappy bags. I could look at the receipt but that would require some sort of effort, hehehe.

katanya Guest

bieleemorris: Just a note on the Bounty bags, you receive 3, I at your first appointment when you book at the hospital, second when the baby is born(make sure you get it sometimes they forget to give it to you, as some of the mums in my Mothers group) and Third you geta voucher in the second and you pick it up from k-mart at 3-4 montsh old..they have good stuff in them and it tends to vary..mine had free Bare teething drops in it which are very good and a teat ..
    I used to wonder when you got them when I was pregnant so I thought I'd fill you in HTH!!

Pietta Guest

Katanya I have found it so weird- people dont hardly ever stop me or touch Ryley!?! Not that i want them to! hehehe but he is so cute.. i dont understand..

Maybe Perth people are more reserved?? I have only had three nosey Nannas in my time.

I didn't know about the 2nd & 3rd bounty bags at all... Will have to remember them when the time comes.

Debbie Lee Guest

3 bounty bags!! Cool.
    However, my first appointment at the hospital was months ago and got nothing of the sort - just a whole tree's worth of brochures on everything from counselling to constipation,
    I suppose every hospital is different. Will ask some others that have had their babies at Geelong Hospital not so long ago.

Hey Deb,
    Someone who is at Geelong Private gave me theres - I have heard of a couple of other people at Geelong who didn't get them, so I guess we are out of luck.
    There were a couple of cool things in it, a few litttle samples and stuff, so I'm not betting we get one when the bubs are born.
    Another thing to think about for the nappy bag - my sister had pretty bad stitches with her first, and had to carry around a bottle for "washing" herself for the first 3-4 months (she couldn't use toilet paper)?? It was just a pump water bottle, but was labelled very clearly - Katy's - do not drink from!! Poor thing..... Lets not wish that upon anyone!
    Fi

I also use a backpack style nappy bag. As I rely on public tranport during the day and sometimes need to do a fair bit of walking it is much less of a hassle than a shoulder bag.
    I also have large pockets and a basket as part of my pram, but that space is always reseved for my shopping!
    I always carry:
    -3 spare disposable nappies (and more if we are going away for the whole day/night) (can I just add you will probably need to carry more nappies on you for a newborn)
    -Nappy sacs
    -3 bottles of cooled boiled water (1 of them to be used for drinking water),
    -2 seperate containers with the formula measured out (I am still to get one of those divider formula containers!)
    -container of fruit/cereal
    -wipes
    -nappy rash cream
    -change of clothes
    -hat
    -teething gel/drops
    -dummy
    -2x toys
    -at least 3 bibs
    -bunny rug
    -Aidyn's health record book
    -wallet, keys, phone, makeup, tampons, plus a million receipts and other assorted junk, LOL 8-[

katanya Guest

oops that third bounty bag you get from Target not K-mart #-o

Half the mothers in my mother group went to a private hospital and they got them, I think it depends on the staff? The newborn nappy samples are great and at 3-4 mths you get the bigger ones, they really do have some good things in them.

Hope you get them!

In my nappy bag i have...

3-4 disposible nappies
    Scented nappy sacs
    Baby wipes
    Extra set of clothes
    2 bibs
    1 cloth nappy
    1-2 muslin wraps
    Spare dummy
    1 bottle of formula
    Change mat
    Nappy rash cream
    Face washer
    Purse
    Keys
    Mobile phone

Also, do you have to get the third bounty bag when bubs is 3 months old or can you get it earlier?

Melinda Guest

We don't get Bounty Bags at all in Tasmania! *waaaah*

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast