Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to immunisations

The government are not paying to educate people on both sides of the immunisation arguement. The incentive is paid bc if the majority of babies are immunised then there won't be breakout s of disease that the government through Medicare will be paying for.

It would be nice if the government was concerned with parents being informed on the treatments given to their children, but it basically comes down to economics.

It is good that this thread has opened up discussion, and some people who may not have thought about it before are questioning and seeking the info.

Kate

Just to add - the first new case of polio in Australia occurred recently in Melbourne (2007)

"July 1st, the first case of Polio flew into Australia in more than 20 years"

While it was a case of the person with polio entering into Australia it does highlight that we are not completely free of diseases that have been mostly eradicated in this country due to the increased ability for travel - both outside and into this country.

Hehe Janie, that's alright if you're too tired, I'm too pregnant to understand anything anyway!

Oh yeah Kate, I totally agree with you about the 'greater good' thing, in fact, that was a real sticking point when I was thinking about it all. So I can definitly see why people do, and would be a reason why I might in the future, I'd hate for my boy to carry rubella, and pass it on. I'm not completely anti-immunisation. I'm just aware that there's always a flip side, and the flip side of immunisation is enough for me to wait until River's older before re-considering vaccinations.

Thankyou for that Michael, will have a good read over and investigate a bit more!!!

Wow great thread with some really valuable information.
    Thanks especially Michael!

LOL when I got my conscientious objection form I was told I was putting my child's life in danger, there were no pro's & cons. I've had 3 phone calls this week from the GP's asking me to book Jovie in for more immunisations. She's had one lot at 12 months and will get a booster of that one in a few weeks but its amazing how one sided it is presented.

Wow Christy,
    That really is amazing that a doctor(let alone 3) would take the time to push/force their opinions on you. Whats it to them anyway? How ridiculous. Its an informed decision.
    I was surprised just the same to see that there was a case of polio occuring only last year.
    As far as the other comments that have been made by others about the immunisation payment, i dont think that would influence me one way or the other. its only 200 after all. I was wondering though what is community services stance on this? If you dont immunise and dont fill out the conscientious objection form after discussing it all with a gp are you going to get calls from community health and services saying that you are a negligent parent? I understand that it should be our own choice to immunise or not,but is it really?If we are going to get the government harrasment..

I am against having other people's views forced on others. But I concede that in the case of immunistaions, there are probably parents who have no objection to immunisation, but forget that they are due, have difficulty getting to a GP or health clinic and probably in a few instances just couldn't be bothered with it all. So it is probably fair enough in a way that there are reminders and follow ups, and that you need to get a form signed if you choose not to. It at least means that you have to give it some thought and make a decision, not just ignore it. But you should not be cricised for making an informed decision, whatever you decide.

Where do you get a concientious objection form from?

From your GP Janie

Okay - I've just read all the posts on this issue with MUCH interest. I'm sure there are other posts about this and would love for someone to direct me to them if possible!

A couple of questions though:
    I am one of those parents who had my DD immunised simply because I thought it was right and was told by my health nurse and GP that's what to do. I NEVER even thought of questioning it! Does that make me bad? I trust them compeltely and assume the information they are giving me is correct. I do, of course, know there are people who don't immunise but I didn't realise how many.

Also if you don't immunise and your child gets that disease, what happens then?

I'm certainly not against people who don't but would love some more info. It seems strange to me that so many health professionals give only one side of the arguement. We had a lady come to our mum's group to talk about it and she was very "pro" immunisations (of course!) and I guess we never would have thought otherwise because of the info we've been given.

I don't feel bad (yet) about immunising DD but would like some more info. Thanks!

I have been reading this thread with great interest and have even discussed it with DF. I too got my first born immunised because I just thought that's what everyone had to do. With my second, I got the shock of my life when my DD was hospitalised from her first immunisation. I was a wreck seeing what she went through and the fact that she could have ended up with brain damage or worse still, death, really scared me. I never got the rest of her immunisations. With my third bub, I felt pushed to get them done and I was just so frightened that it would all happen over again, he was fine, but to this day I wonder why I felt I had to do it.
    Now that I am pg again, many years later and I am older and more informed, I won't go down the immunisation path again and am glad for this info in HP immunisation.

I had heard (and may I stipulate that I obviously haven't come across this info on a gvt website or anything, I can't remember what my source is - ) that GP's get paid a certain amount, like a commission for immunisations. Not sure if that's if they meet a certain quota, of if that's per vaccination, or what, but it is food for thought on why the clinics are happy to take the time to make reminder calls.

Isn't it a requirement when they start primary school that all their vaccinations are up to date? I considered not getting my bub vaccinated but for that reason, I figured it wasn't practical.

edit: i should've read the whole thread before posting >.<

Why does everyone keep saying its a requirement when it's not? (Not in this thread, I mean just generally people do).
    Last edited by Neenee Jellybeanie; January 25th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Because Primary Schools will often ask for an immunisation certificate. Unless you have already chosen not to immunise, most people assume this means it is compulsory - but we in the know realise you can simply lodge a conscientious objection with the school. Education is another of those government things that they are pretty much obliged to provide, whether your children are immunised or not.

Oddly enough, the only place where I have found that non-immunisation is a problem, is for adults working in health care. NSW Health have just introduced a new policy that requires all staff to have immunisations to work in certain areas, or they can be permanently reassigned to other areas, even areas outside of their training. That's coming on pretty heavily! As an adult, I have no qualms having immunisation boosters, etc., but my wife (who is a midwife) is allergic to some of the components of the MMR. She had a life-threatening reaction as a child. When she told them that that was the reason she wasn't getting immunised against measles/mumps/rubella, they actually suggested that she come into the ED and be immunised there - so that they could resuscitate her when they were done!

Scmikers, what a joke! That is disgusting!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Just thought I would copy Tracey's informative post into this thread considering it's about alternatives.

Greetings Everyone

I'm a great advocate of the homeopathic alternative to conventional vaccination. There has been some brilliant research conducted by Isaac Golden over the past 20 or so years. Over this time, three groups of infants - one group un-vaccinated, one group fully vaccinated and one group given homeopathic prophylaxis - were traced. The results were quite incredible, showing that the immune systems of the homeopathic group were far stronger than either of the other groups. Studies have also been conducted in Brazil, where homeopathic immunisation was proven to be 95% effective against Meningococcal infection in children. No method of vaccination is 100% guaranteed, however, homeopathy is proven to be 90.4% effective as an alternative to conventional vaccination which is 75 - 95% effective. The big factor here is that there are no harmful side-effects caused by homeopathy - something that is a very real possibility with conventional vaccination I know many children and adults who have been completely homeopathically 'vaccinated', and they are very healthy people indeed

I like to provide parents with both sides of the vaccination argument, and provide resources for self-education as it is a very difficult decision to make. That said, I do sell a number of homeopathic 'vaccination' kits through my clinic. Once you read through the info it may not be such a challenging choice! I use Isaac Golden's kits as he has put in the hard yards with all his research, and I trust him 100%. He also keeps very up-to-the-minute with new vaccine schedules etc. I sell his kits for $110, and they cover the entire vaccination schedule (four years). It is necessary to have a consultation to explain the schedule and provide information, and this can also be booked at the BellyBelly centre on Thursdays or as a telephone consultation.

If anyone needs any extra advice regarding homeopathic immunisation, or would like some great websites to check out, feel free to msg me.

xxx

Nicole Tracy
    Nicole is a Naturopath who works in the BellyBelly Pregnancy Centre. View her profile or make an appointment by clicking here.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

JordieC - to answer your questions.

No, you are not bad for going along with the flow and not questioning sooner. Lots of us did the same thing. I started to question some Dr's agenda on a completely different matter and uncovered alot of things I felt I needed to research.

Nothing happens if your child catches something. You nurse them through it like you would any other illness, go to a Naturopath etc. My children both contracted the Mumps through playgroup. It needed to be notified to the Health Department so I did. They called me back and were very nice. They just wanted to have some sort of an idea where it came from - we agreed it was probably playgroup as its very multicultural and there is always someone flying in or out to a range of different countries.
    The lady mentioned I had a great handle on everything and wasn't concerned in the least. No lectures, I clearly explained my beliefs and she didn't bat an eyelid.

Just for the record - the last 5 or so kids I know that had chicken pox had ALL been immunised.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast