Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Hammocks

Yay Good for you! Hope it works great.

K

Wooohoo.....well done Sarah...........I really hope it gives Alexzander some really great sleeps! Let us know how you go!

do they comply to an australian safety standard like cots do?

I don't know, I just feel like they wouldnt be as safe as a cot, these are the questions i have.

can the bedclothes be properly tucked in tightly so when bubs is a bit more active cannot move beneath the sheets and suffocate?

what happens when as a bubs gets older and starts to stand up in their cot, what happens in the hammock, wouldnt they just topple out of it?

their spine would be curled slightly when lying in it, is this good for their spine if they are lying that way for prolongued periods of time?

** i am not poo pooing them, just curious about these three points, being the devils advocate really.

Min,

These are all good questions, and ones that I wondered about before I used one with Olivia.

They do meet Australian standards....but they don't fall into the cot category, so I guess from that perspective they are probably not tested as much. In the 11 months we used ours, I cannot think of one safety issue though: they are soft without any hard sides or gaps, so this limits the safety issues.

You can really tuck a baby in well, & I found that Olivia was more secure in the hammock as she couldn't cavort around so much!

In terms of them attempting to stand....there is just no way they could. When they get very wriggly/try to roll over, they just bounce themselves off to sleep again.

The spine thing: I am looking at Olivia now and her spine is as straight as an arrow: she has lovely posture! Although I did wonder about this myself initially, and I actually asked my MCHN about it and she said that if that was the case, she dounted they would ever be allowed to be used in special care nurseries etc in hospsitals (which they are a lot). So that kind of put my mind at rest.

They are not for everyone, but I loved ours!

I ordered an extra spring today so hopefully that will sort the bouncing out.

I told Steven that we could buy one, and it wouldnt take up a lot of room.. and then we could have a baby now..

He declined.. but eh.. it was worth a try.

K

Our hammock arrived a few hours ago & I just put Zander down in it.

One question though - where are they supposed to be positioned in it? If I have his feet near the end like you're supposed to with a cot it seems like his head is lower than his bum which is not good for a reflux baby....

I think that if you look in the instructions it tells you how to make the head higher by gathering more material from the head end into the bit that you tie.
    You don't put the baby at the end like you do in a cot, you put them in the middle or if you want the head up a bit, put his head up closer to the head end. Its not a flat surface so they don't wiggle up or down so much
    If you email the guy who makes them he usually answers quite quickly.

I have emailed him, but thought you guys would respond faster
    I do have him closer to the head end, but just wanted to check that that's ok.

Yep, Sarah, head up at the head end, and that will tilt Zander with his head and chest higher than his body and legs.

HOPE IT WORKS!

Well I am most impressed by the guy that makes them - I got a response to my email in less than 1/2 an hour, impressive hey?!

He seems pretty comfy in there, so we'll see how he goes tonight....

sarah, how'd you go with it?

Well min, bearing in mind that the little guy has reflux, we didn't go so well last night. But I think that might have been due to an upset tummy.

Today though he has been put on new medication & has been asleep in it for an hour \/ He likes the bouncing, so if he stirs we just go in & bounce him a bit & he falls straight back to sleep. It (bouncing) didn't work last night, so I figure it had to be tummy pains keeping him awake.

Is it still going good Sarah?

Resurrected this to ask a different question..

Did anyone ever try changing their bums whilst they were still in their hammocks? Howd it work? Or did you think it would be too impossible?

It was a thought that just crossed my mind, so I thought id ask.

K

Yup still loving it Kirby, but the only problem is it's a bit low so I'm getting a bit of a sore back. Not sure how I'll go when he gets heavier.

As for changing nappies in it, the thought never crossed my mind. But as I said it's a bit low so might be pretty awkward.

Yea sounds like it.. Thanks!

Hey.. I was just reading something on another site.. that has a bit of a msg board... and there was a post about the amby... about a recent problem with metal shavings being a bit dangerous.. etc

Mine has paint worn off the hanger part. Be sure to look closely at the eye-bolt that the springs hang from. Are there any signs of wear there? Does it look like the spring has sratched the eye-bolt? I think that's where the metal shaving came from, but the chipped paint bothers me just as much.

Look inside the folds of the fabric that covers the hanger. That's how I confirmed what happened. There were tiny metal shavings in the folds....

Does thefabric have adirty look to it right below the spring? Mine does.... Don't use it if you think the metal is flaking off at all. I don't want another baby to go through what Jake is. The hospital experience was HORRIBLE.... I cry every time I think about it.
    Apparantly the company has designed a special cover to prevent injury etc... So I just wanted to notifying incase yous need to email to get sent one.. Id hate to have not told u i read this and then hear something went wrong...

If anyone wants to the link to the entire thread, about the process with emailing the company (these ppl have posted some of the emails the company sent them etc).. then just let me know and ill email you the link.. that way you know the entire context of the prob

K

Just noticed today that there is paint flaking off my hammock & I have no idea where the paint chips went, I just hope that Zander didn't swallow them.

I sent an email & all I got was "Are you in Australia? I can send you a spring cover." No apology, no explanation or anything, so I'm really cranky about it. I sent an email back with my address so he can send me the cover & I asked why it wasn't sent in the first place.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast