View Poll Results: Do You Think Childhood Vaccinations Should Be Compulsory?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 33.53%
  • Undecided

17 10.18%
  • No

94 56.29%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Childhood Vaccinations Should Be Compulsory?

Must say though, another fabulous example of WA journalistic and research skills: when 800 people is considered a realistic representation of a 2 and a quarter million population, I will strip naked and feed myself to the sharks.

I didnt' realise though that only 1200 people lived in WA though

Almost two-thirds of West Australians believe routine childhood vaccination should be compulsory, a new survey has revealed.
    A poll of 800 people by Painted Dog Research for health insurer HBF and _The West Australian _also found that more than half of people believed parents who refused to vaccinate their children were irresponsible.
    Interesting to note that this was a survey conducted by a Private health fund - a fund which in it's best interests needs people to stay well just more food for thought.

I dont care what *they* decide, over my dead body will they inject my beautiful perfect children without MY say so.

I seriously cant believe that with what has happened with the flu shot, now is the best time to even mention making it mandatory... what a joke. Just ask those poor mums if they would like their babies jabbed again, WITHOUT their permission.....

I'd love to see a really fair representation of serious discussions.....if we have to vote at an election, give us some other things to vote for on polling day too to get a true representation on how people feel. We're in serious trouble if we have to live in a country where it is totally up to the bureaucrats!

Going off what I said earlier, I truly believe that if you have weighed up the pros/cons for yourself and your child, then that's perfect and nobody has the right to take that decision away from you, whatever your decision may be. While I may be passionate for immunisating MY child, I understand that there are people out there who are passionate for not immunising too. But because you can't be bothered? Audax, your cousin is scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Corelly View Post
    . But because you can't be bothered? Audax, your cousin is scary!
    I dont think too many people do that for too long though... without being vac'd or a COF in place at 18mnths, they miss out on the c/link money... usually a good motivator!!!

Yeah, well, there's a point. I wonder how many people actually do it only for the money.

Corelly, you'd be surprised at how much that piddly amount of money can motivate people to do it unfortunately.

I just had a really worrying thought about all this. This is a survey conducted by a Private Health Insurance company - companies like this will often put precursors on what they will and wont cover, so it is pretty easy to make the leap and assume that a path they could try to take in the future is pushing for compulsory vaccination for you or your children if you are to to be covered under your policy - like with smokers and drinkers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    Corelly, you'd be surprised at how much that piddly amount of money can motivate people to do it unfortunately.
    The child care rebate can be quite a lot and not such a piddly amount for those using child care. I have a friend who was delaying the MMR but she had it done as she was threatened with her CCR being stopped.

If a private health company does that, that is their right I'm afraid, and that may just have to be part of decision making in the future, that if I don't immunise my child against a particular disease and they get that disease then the treatment for that disease and any residual effects are not covered.
    I have a problem with government mandating it however.

I still get CCR and we have not given Charlotte a single vaccination.

I think this is a HUGE misconception going around at the moment - that you can have payments suspended or something from CL for NOT having kids vaxed and it is simply UNTRUE.
    I have recieved all payments with no issues at all, all you have to do is present the COF to CLink and that is it.

I think Trill was actually referring to the Immunisation Rebate itself anyway which is only a coupl eof hundred dollars.

I chose to vaccinate my children for my own personal reasons and I made that choice as an informed parent. Other informed parents choose not to vaccinate for their own reasons and that is fine with me. It's freedom of choice and I don't believe that should be taken away. Do we really need a nanny state dictating what we can and can't do?

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    I still get CCR and we have not given Charlotte a single vaccination.

I think this is a HUGE misconception going around at the moment - that you can have payments suspended or something from CL for NOT having kids vaxed and it is simply UNTRUE.
    I have recieved all payments with no issues at all, all you have to do is present the COF to CLink and that is it.

I think Trill was actually referring to the Immunisation Rebate itself anyway which is only a coupl eof hundred dollars.
    Oh yeah- I know that sorry. I told my friend about the COF but she decided to just go and vax anyway even though she really didn't want too- I was referring to the parents that vax because of that pressure. I received the immunisation rebate because we had signed the COF.

I would seriously consider moving country if vaccination were compulsory. I'm sure many may think that is a bit extreme but it's no where near as extreme and injecting God knows what into my baby It astounds me how some parents don't want their kids around other kids that haven't been vaccinated... surely if they have such belief in the vaccination working they have nothing to worry about. The government should think the same way and if they offer vaccination to those who want it fine but please don't force it onto anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    The child care rebate can be quite a lot and not such a piddly amount for those using child care. I have a friend who was delaying the MMR but she had it done as she was threatened with her CCR being stopped.
    Yes, I meant the immunisation allowance and not the CCR. And LS is right, they cannot withhold the CCR from you, that is just outright scare tactics so you vaccinate your child so they don't have to deal with it at childcare. Plus the one time I had DS2 in childcare while I studied I got the CCR even though he is not fully immunised either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    the one time I had DS2 in childcare while I studied I got the CCR even though he is not fully immunised either.
    Really? Without a COF? I get the CCR now, but I have signed a COF.

Quote Originally Posted by cherished1 View Post
    I would seriously consider moving country if vaccination were compulsory. I'm sure many may think that is a bit extreme but it's no where near as extreme and injecting God knows what into my baby It astounds me how some parents don't want their kids around other kids that haven't been vaccinated... surely if they have such belief in the vaccination working they have nothing to worry about. The government should think the same way and if they offer vaccination to those who want it fine but please don't force it onto anyone!
    Not extreme. My DH and I hvae said this as well. Hey we might be able to start our own country !!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I posted an article on my FB page yesterday i think it was, they were now admitting a resurgence of things like whooping cough as it has mutated, and the vaccine isn't working anymore. So no longer is it a valid argument that it's the non-vaxed kids causing all these outbreaks and problems. Its vaccinated kids too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast