Thread: Rolling over

Question Rolling over

I don't know what to do about this but i break out in a sweat when i change DDs nappy and or clothes...
    She just wants to roll over and crawl away. She doesnt wait for me to take her pants off/unclip her body suit or to take her nappy off. She just goes. It makes the task very difficult.
    I have tried a firm no and she looks at me and off she goes. I have tried using that safety strap that comes with the change table but she can still turn around from under it b'coz of course its not tight.. i have tried singing, making silly noises, talking, giving her toys.. sometimes i change her on a mat on the floor and i have to sit her in my lap to dress her once her nappy is on.
    I know this is probably unusual and that i have tried lots of different things but am hoping for some suggestions.

Last edited by Mez80; February 17th, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Mez

I don't have any solutions but I'll be watching this thread. My 6-month-old is very strong and can just about flip over on the change table so I'm not sure what she's going to be like in another few months! She seems to get worse as the day progresses too.

Mez

My solution would be to change her on the floor, or maybe on a bed or in her cot. That way when she does roll she won't hurt herself and you won't be anxious at change time.

Good luck

Hmm yes, i think i will change her on the floor...just incase coz id rather chase her round the floor then pick her up after a fall. Hopefully she does grow out of soon, or i may as well use the top of her change table as storage I worry too, as she will be starting child care when i go back to work sometime in the next couple of months and so i worry she will do it there.. but then who knows? children do tend to behave differently for others sometimes.

Hi Mez, changing her on the floor sounds like a great idea. One other thing I could suggest - could you give her a small snack to eat why you are changing her, like a rusk or a biscuit? Does food usually get her to stop her in her tracks? It might be worth a go!

Hi,

My DS is also a roller when it comes to nappy time. I have found that giving him a toy that he can hold helps and singing to him... especially twinkle twinkle little star... he seems to stay on his back long enough for me to change his nappy as he looks around for the star whilst I sing. Of course I am not suggesting only singing twinkle twinkle.. your little one might like another song! Good lucK

I always give Iz a toy to hold and look at while shes on the table, but I have a friend at MG who has a litle girl who has never wanted to be on her back and she has had to put her nappies on back to front Sounds odd I know but she literally hasnt had a choice because her little princess wouldnt stay on her back long enough to change her nappy!
    Good luck!

Sounds familiar! Claire is such a wiggler too. She also loves to stand up when changing nappies. She is very strong. We give her something little to play with and that sometimes distracts her. Sometimes I also sing to her and she looks at me and doesnt roll too much.

give her your watch!

say 'can you please hold this for mummy' and give her your watch, chances are she will be momentarily in love with the shiny gold or silver...

might work for a while and then u will be back to square one, nappy changes always end in a lot of tears in our house, she just wont stay still.

how funny the new bonds baby suit add is with the song twinkle twinkle little star, the little boy just calmly lays there while his mother dresses him.... i was like 'yeah right!!'