Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of vaccinations...

Hehe...im pretty sure Deb that shes not making it up. Weve never had issues at all witn not providing the kids vaccination records...stating that we conscientiously object and are aware of education department policy. Its never come up at all and weve never had to remove any of the kids from school.

Jo

re the whole MMR debate i actually agree that there could very well be a link to autism, on the introduction of the MMR vax to the scedule there is a huge spike upwards in the cases of autism. for those of you that are planning to separate the MMR, do you still have to import it from the UK? i know when i looked into this with my older 2 that was the case and i briefly asked about it about 6 months ago and that was still the case. just wondering.

re the discussion that the reduction of these diseases is because kids are vaxed now days. i believe that the research can be skewed because of the conditions that we live in today. living in the 1900's and in the 2000s are very different. but was it the vax's or was it the general increase in health in our population due to better sanitation, nutrition and education? just a thought. i am of the opinion that these diseases have a natural life cycle, such as when the polio saban was introduced there was a dramatic reduction in cases of polio even in countries where the vax was NOT introduced. if i am to follow this train of thought then this leads me to the belief that perhaps we are actually prolonging a disease's life cycle by vaxing. i know i'm 'out there'.

i just want to add that i have been researching this for over 11 years, someone said they feel like a 'bad mother' for not researching into it at this depth. i have had lots more time to look into it, i certainly wasn't as confident with my decisions when my first son was a baby.... it has taken time and money and patience (something i'm not so good at .

it is great to see a gentle discussion on here about something that most feel strongly about whether for or against. thanks for helping me feel confident and comfortable enought to share my views.

beckles

Debbie Lee Guest

stating that we conscientiously object and are aware of education department policy. Its never come up at all and weve never had to remove any of the kids from school.
    Good to know, Jo. Like I said, being a PS teachers, I should know this already! All I knew was that kids had to provide vaccination records... but I guess it's just a question on the form

Just wanted to add that I agree with Deb. I'd love to investigate more and take a different line to being pro-vacc, but I dont think I have the strength of my convictions either. I think to not vacc you need to be very, very, very sure, and unfortunately the conviction either comes from a bad experience or lots ans lots of education.
    So we will continue to vacc, even though every needle breaks another little piece of my heart.....

I must say that I do Vaccinate and Kaitlyn is coming up to her 18month shots which I am really not looking forward to . I do it as I guess I dont feel I have the knowledge or I guess you could almost say guts to go against what we all had done as children..IFYKWIM. Beckles your outline is wonderful so thank you so much for that ..does really make you think about if the Govt has been updating the vaccinations correctly to reflect todays health issues.

Still I will vaccinate ..truly only because I would never forgive myself if something happened that could have been prevented , even if the likely hood is small. Kaitlyn is however one of those children who reacts badly to the injections that for approx 24-48hours afterwards she is like a totally different child...does not affect her well.

But like all the other ladies in here I am not for or against vaccination it is just that I choose to have Kaitlyn vaccinated.

Kellxx I am a teacher and the rules in NSW re vaccinations are that if a child is not immunised against a certain disease and there is an outbreak of it then they must be excluded from school until all cases have cleared up. Having said that in my career I have only seen it happen once about 12 years ago when there was a measles outbreak at my school.

After reading all the posts im scared to get DD vac now. At birth she had the HepB. I probably will get her done, only cos if i didnt and she was to get something then id feel like the worst mum in the world. But now im nervous and extremely scared. I dont want anything to hapen to her, not while i think im doing the best for my little one.

Talk to your GP kim - hopefully they will offer you more guidance.

kim i am sorry that you felt scared by the posts. i guess it is a scary subject both if you vax and if you don't vax. some mums compromise and still vax but delay it until their babes are older and heavier and they spread the vax out so only 1 at a time and wait a period of 3-6 months inbetween. the reference i gave in my first post by Dr Donald miller gives an outline of "a user friendly vax schedule" and suggests that if you chose to vax to do it the above mentioned way. so there is options for you out there, i guess we all just have to bite the bullet and make a decision for what we believe is the best for our most precious ones.
    good luck babe, and remember education is the key to overcoming fear
    beckles

. Since 1991, when the CDC and the FDA had recommended that three additional vaccines laced with the preservative be given to extremely young infants -- in one case, within hours of birth -- the estimated number of cases of autism had increased fifteenfold, from one in every 2,500 children to one in 166 children.
    What else could it possibly be?

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who has received $873,000 in contributions from the pharmaceutical industry, has been working to immunize vaccine makers from liability in 4,200 lawsuits that have been filed by the parents of injured children. On five separate occasions, Frist has tried to seal all of the government's vaccine-related documents -- including the Simpsonwood transcripts -- and shield Eli Lilly, the developer of thimerosal, from subpoenas. In 2002, the day after Frist quietly slipped a rider known as the "Eli Lilly Protection Act" into a homeland security bill, the company contributed $10,000 to his campaign and bought 5,000 copies of his book on bioterrorism. The measure was repealed by Congress in 2003 -- but earlier this year, Frist slipped another provision into an anti-terrorism bill that would deny compensation to children suffering from vaccine-related brain disorders. "The lawsuits are of such magnitude that they could put vaccine producers out of business and limit our capacity to deal with a biological attack by terrorists," says Dean Rosen, health policy adviser to Frist.
    Food for thought.
    Last edited by hannanat; January 11th, 2007 at 08:43 AM.

More than 500,000 kids currently suffer from autism, and pediatricians diagnose more than 40,000 new cases every year. The disease was unknown until 1943, when it was identified and diagnosed among eleven children born in the months after thimerosal was first added to baby vaccines in 1931.
    And here is my personal favourite:

Some skeptics dispute that the rise in autism is caused by thimerosal-tainted vaccinations. They argue that the increase is a result of better diagnosis -- a theory that seems questionable at best, given that most of the new cases of autism are clustered within a single generation of children. "If the epidemic is truly an artifact of poor diagnosis," scoffs Dr. Boyd Haley, one of the world's authorities on mercury toxicity, "then where are all the twenty-year-old autistics?"

I talked to my paed about the MMR & autism, he said that the 10 drs that did the studies on it all were all discredited for some reason or another, so not to freak out about the autism thing. He also said that that is the age that you start to diagnose autism anyway, and is coincidence.

However.. like others have said, how does that explain the dramatic change in a child IMMEDIATELY after the needle?

Liz there have been many more than 10 studies linking the two. And you are right, Layla was hospitalised at Westmead the day after her vaccine. It wasn't even 24 hrs.

Yeah i am skeptical too... but I think like anything you can find information for both sides...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yeah - he said the 10 main ones in the UK or something, that kicked it off years ago.

Natalie, I understand if you chose not to answer this, or maybe you have earlier in another post, but can I ask about your personal experience with your daughter and autism.
    Up until recently i'd never even heard aboout the immunisation and autism link and would love to hear a personal story to understand it more.

Nelle - yeah shame on me (blushblushblushblushblush) for being such lazy @ass and easily-influenced-when-it-suits-me-and-means-less-research kind of person!

Ok mod hat time

Lets not turn this thread into another debate. If you haven't seen the new circ thread maybe you could go and have a look and perhaps apply the same rules to this one. And as much as I love reading the info, large chunks of information can be off putting... so perhaps we could quote only a small amount and offer the link (off the forums) for anyone to view the sites themselves or tell them what you googled to find the information. If you wish to discuss your choices thats fine, but please respect everyone elses decisions without questioning them in a way that they might find offensive. And please also remember that this is a gentle parenting section.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but just a gentle reminder for all

Thank you!

I hope to continue reading such an enlightening discussion.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast