Thread: Toilet training your toddlers!

Default Toilet training your toddlers!

I know all toddlers are different.. and we shouldn't force toilet training as they'll let you know when they are good and ready.. but I'd really like to know how old their toddlers were when the nappies came off??

My DS turned 2 recently, and he still runs away from me when he's done poos and doesn't like being changed. He'd probably sit in it for hours if I'd let him!

son #1 was 2.5yr.. son #2 was 23 months Son #3 was 25 months..

i would say he is starting to realise something is going on in that area. Maybe start introducing the toilet/potty before baths after meals ect as a lead up to actual toilet training..

Hmm I don't know if he realises or he's just being difficult by running away hehe.

I think because of the new bub too, he's probably not ready for such a big change just yet.

I did the whole TT thing with my 2nd son 2 weeks after we had son number 3.. H decided to though and our 3rd son I TT him when I was 7 months preg...

He couldrealise but is being difficult as well loll.. who knows with 2 yr olds. they are a great big barrel of fun

hehe yes our DS is such fun. Seems to always whinge about something! It will be good once he starts to actually understand properly as he is still talking jibberish

Oh he will get there.. We have come out of that stage.. Jacob also has 2 big brothers though..

The whinging is so annoying isn't it? Jacob likes to scream at things .. ah fun fun

well, my daughter is 2 1/2 and is doing pretty well with potty training, some days she seems to have alot more accidents with her poo poos than her wee wee's. And she likes to do it all herself, taking the pooey undies off, getting poo all down her legs, then she sticks her hands in it, and there is poo everywhere its a common occurance at the moment she sees her poo all the time and still wants to play in it, we are trying to teach her its yucky but she doesnt fully understand yet. she likes to empty her wee wee's out of her potty too so if i dont see her do a pee off she goes to the toilet with a potty full of pee, she spilt it all over the carpet the other day that was nice. I am trying real hard to get her completely out of nappies before the new baby is born in 2 months, she is in undies all day now, she only uses nappies when we go out. Potty training, what fun! haha its a messy job!

OMG I know! They love playing in their poo, don't they??

Hehe I'm sure DS will be talking in no time, it's just so hard to imagine!

Olivia was really young......so I won't use her as an example.

But Charlie is now day trained at 2 and a half. We haven't had an accident for about 10 days.

BUT, he STILL hasn't done a poo in the toilet at all. He can hold on until after his bath and after his milk until he is in bed at night time with a nappy on. And he doesn't call out or cry out or alert me that he has done a poo.......in fact he may even be doing in his sleep.........and unless I go in and check at about 10.30 (before I go to bed), he would lie in a pooey nappy all night without being bothered at all......little grot!

BUT, when I do change it, he is upset. I read somewhere that they can be very self conscious of the poo thing, hence they run away/are reticent to do a poo in the loo etc.

Yeah I always just thought my little bugger was being.. well... a little bugger ! hehe. But it certainly makes sense for him being self-consious. My sister was always saying that her DS always hid behind the couch or in another room to do poos But mine never really cares, he kinda just screams and plays and runs around and before you know it, the room is all stinky

Did anyone start toilet training while their kid's didn't talk or understand properly?

Liz, Charlie is hearing impaired and so his hearing and his speech is pretty bad for a 2.5 year old. But we get there.

(He was the one that prompted us to start. By insisting in stripping of his nappy and by sitting on the toilet himself.)

Yes, we introduced the potty when Lily was old enough to walk and was interested in it she wanted to sit on it all the time but it took a while longer until she was a little older to fully understand the purpose of it, I guess its because when she was just a baby she wasnt talking properly or understanding everything yet, but now it has come alot easier that she is 2 1/2.

We used to sit the potty beside the bath when she was walking but she would rarely do anything - she would usually do it in the bath or beside the bath standing! haha but we only introduced it then so she would grow a liking for it, it didnt phase us she wasnt using it much.

It did however make it alot easier on us in the long run like now she really knows what the potty is for, and understands and it is easier she is talking properly now, but even if they're not you can still introduce one, and see what they think of it, but just be aware that they may not have a clue what its for! - ha! I remember days Lily used to wear her potty on her head! haha.

Isnt it funny when your toddler uses the potty for the first few times how excited you get, and they get too! Lily does a dance and claps her hands and says "yay, Lily went potty!" haha, and I get excited too that she is learning so quick but no one else ever wants to hear about her potty training and how proud i am, or the messy clean ups I have to deal with on a regular basis!

It must be a mother thing! haha

We get so excited when they first start.. Even my dh gets thrilled.. He would ring his mum and tell her the whole story lol.. I do the same

I forgot about the self conscinous. i remember the boys doing that too

My DS is 2.5yrs and is fully TT during the day, just night time nappies... I am a bit scarred to take that next step. Sometimes his nappies are completely dry in the morning and other times there is wee in there so I think I might wait to see some kind of pattern. He no longer uses the potty and does everything in the toilet. We never had issues with wees / poos in the toilet (thank goodness). The only problem is he wants to do everything himself which means that he is in the toilet playing.... once he has finished. This drives me crazy because toilets are dirty and yucky and I have explained to him that you come to the toilet to do wees and poos and then you leave and wash your hands... I am sure he will get the hang of it... He just loves to shut the door and call me when he is ready and I would hate to think what he is getting up to.. LOL - little stinker....

I would certainly have the potty out with no pressure and in time they will understand what it is for. Good luck.. xxoo

We tried with DD#1 at 18months, then again just after she turned 2 but she has only recently toilet trained and she turned 3 at the end of last year. It only took days this time which just made me think that for her, she was finally ready iykwim......where as previously, I simply felt like we were constantly I think I have become a believer of they really will click when they are ready, in their time but it doesn't hurt to keep trying every now and then to see if 'their time' has come

I agree charlyfrog, thats why we left toilet training with our daughter until now you can just tell when they are ready and when they have more understanding of it all, and it does make it easier on everyone when they are ready themselves, for anything.

Thank you so much for all of your posts! It's definitely different for everyone, I think my DS won't be ready until he's 3 but I suppose I won't know if I don't try to explain it to him!

Lucy- that's great that your DS started himself! What a smart kid!

mickeyndan- LOL! I'd be worrying too if my DS wanted 'alone' potty time, considering he has a fascination with sticking his hand in the bowl now (ALTHOUGH he hasn't done it in a LONG time since I yelled at him) I'm sure he'll learn that it's yucky soon enough

my dd who is 2 started riing her nappy off about a month ago. She knows when shes doing a wee and take it off staight away. im trying to get her to sit on the toilet (which she wants to do) and wee, but getting her to do anything while on the toilet is the tricky part.