Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your car insured with?

Question Who is your car insured with?

Im sure there was a thread around here somewhere recently but I cant find it

So I just got my annual renewal notice which is $100 more than last years premium! No contributing factors... just "price increase".

So Im wondering if you could please tell me the names of the cheaper insurance companies.

SO far I have tried Real, Racv, Aami, CGU, Allianz, Bingle, Budget, YOUi, and GIO.

Do you know of any others??

We have ours through HBA...changed about 6 motnsh ago when we did a bit of shopping around.....we get 10% discount cos we have health insurance with them and another 10% for doing direct debit monthly... a few other places actually charge a penalty to pay by the month. We also get a lower premium for having nominated drivers and lower again on my car cos we do less than 10,000km a year. All things to look into to get your premium lower....

Umm... NRMA?

They were the cheapest when we were doing the call around - but we needed house and contents as well, and with all of them combine AAMI were the lowest quote.

Another thing to consider - the solicitor at work who does personal injuries law - she said that AAMI are by far the BEST insurance company to pay out on insurance claims, and are the most reasonable to deal with. She said that their claims department is the quickest and fairest she has ever dealt with - and believe me, she's dealt with a lot.

So that sealed the deal for me. Just another thing to factor into it. You may have the cheapest insurance company - but they could be absolute pr***s to deal with when it comes time to claiming on an accident.

We have one car with AAMI and the other with Swann Insurance. We went Swann as they gave us a great deal for buying our new car through a car yard that they are affliliated with.

We have our house and contents with AAMI too, and they have been fantastic whenever we have needed to do a claim

We have all our insurances with Suncorp. But we get a multi policy discount.

We have all our insurance with AAMI- car and contents insurance. I had a car accident about 6 months ago and my car was written off (over $12 000 worth of damage, it was insured for $4000 ). It took a matter of days from when I notified them of the accident to having the insurance money in my bank account, didn't have to fill out any paperwork it was all done over the phone and they were really great with their service. We wouldn't use anyone else now, we had a really great experience with them.

I don't know who to suggest, because we're in a different state, but I would never suggest Allianz. We just got our household insurance renewal (which was a few hundred dollars more than last year) and a letter to say that the company had been bought out by Allianz. When we actually read the policy, it no longer included flood insurance. They didn't mention that at all on the letter they sent out with the renewal. So, we made some calls and switched to one of only two other companies in SA who do flood cover and saved ourselves about $300.

My DH is a spray painter and has huge problems when doing crash repairs for customers who are insured with Allianz. They say you can choose your repairer, but when the assessor comes out, they try and slash the hourly labour rate down by two thirds (also, they always want to use second hand parts when they should use new). The revised labour rate is not even enough to cover the cost of wages. They are the only ones who do it too! So, DH tells them if they don't want to pay the going rate, then take it somewhere else, because he doesn't work for free! He feels bad for his customers, but what can you do when you're put in between a rock and a hard place? The choice of repairer thing is really such a con. DH says the assessor will take it to a crash shop who'll do it for the lesser rate, but then they'll cut corners left, right and centre to make up for the loss.

Hope you find somewhere that's cheaper and offer a good policy.

my car insurance is through Shannons because I've got 1 imported car (63 Chev Impala) and 1 modified car (Mazda 2 which used to have a turbo but not anymore but is still modified) - nobody else would touch them.

Used to be with AAMI and they were HORRIBLE to deal with - the Mazda 2 was in for 6 resprays because the repairer couldn't get the colour correct and AAMI wouldn't let us pick our own repairer after the 3rd time it had to go in, colour still isn't correct but I've given up - by the way this was a stock standard Mazda colour.

AAMI for one car, ALLIANZ for the other.
    Touch wood we've never had to deal with them...we just pay the annual fee.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mabello View Post
    Im sure there was a thread around here somewhere recently but I cant find it

So I just got my annual renewal notice which is $100 more than last years premium! No contributing factors... just "price increase".

So Im wondering if you could please tell me the names of the cheaper insurance companies.

SO far I have tried Real, Racv, Aami, CGU, Allianz, Bingle, Budget, YOUi, and GIO.

Do you know of any others??
    Hey Danni, this same thing happened to my mum - twice. She is with RACV and rang them and asked why her premium had increased so much - they said the same thing as yours & she she disputed it, saying that she hadn't had a claim, still lives at the same address, same job, same life/nothing had changed - they put it back to what it was the previous year!
    BTW - I am with AAMI and have had a claim & they were great to deal with
    Last edited by RhiChiChi; March 27th, 2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spelling

I am with RACQ - mine was about $50 more than last time - I thought it was cause I had a claim after I hit a roo last year, they say not - just a rate increase - my excess also went up by $50.

I did alot of searching trying to find a cheaper premium - try doing that after you've had a claim! All of the others were increadibly high, like $300 higher - darn roo!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything cheaper in the current climate.

hi,

i saw you mentioned REAL - they have 2 different car insurances one is the normal one you know the 3rd Party - 3rd Party fire and Theft and the full Comp like all the others HOWEVER they have a new product its called PAY as you Drive and that can save you heaps of money ! it works for most people which do not overly use their car i.e. long distant drives and they give you 10% cash back after 3 years if you have not had a claim - that is such a great thing !

We are with Wesfarmers - not sure if they are a subsid of a larger company but they are MUCH cheaper than some of the others mentioned. We have swapped all our insurance (Contents and 2 cars) with them and have never had a problem when we have needed them. I had huge problems with the RACV a few years ago when some moron backed into my car and yet when the wooden shed door was blown into my car Wesfarmers didn't even blink an eye they just got it fixed. Excess was chaeper too.

Unfortunately REAL doesnt insure drivers under 25 anymore.grrr!!

Wow, I might try and dispute the $100 increase. If anything it should decrease now that I am closer to 25. And we havent moved,and have NEVER had a claim. And the car is almost 10 years old now!

Just had a look at wesfarmers website...it says they only do quotes for Business, Farm, Strata, or crop??

Hmmm maybe its changed over the years. DH has always used Wesfarmers even when we lived in Kew. We live on a farm now but its not ours (renting) maybe coz we're in a farming zone, I dunno ??

We have one car with AAMI and the other with Shannon's.
    The AAMI car, I did over the internet. Then 2 years ago i forgot to pay the insurance, was a month late, called them at close to midnight, and they redid the cover for me, though it did cost a bit more lol.

One car is with NRMA, the other is with AAMI. Have had to make 2 claims with NRMA and they have been really good both times. So far haven't had to deal with AAMI, but we went with them because they were the cheapest for that car - even NRMA was more expensive, and that is with our multi policy discount for having home/contents and one car insured with them.

Danni, have you seen the ads for the Pay as You Drive? Not sure what they would be like?
    Also there is a company who cater more for female drivers, so if you are the regular driver, they might be one to check out too..will go have a look for them for you... ok, they are called 1stforwomen, with the usual on the end

Nic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast