Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: C-Section or Natural

  1. #1

    Default C-Section or Natural

    Hi

    I had my first hospital appt yesterday and when i was leaving the midwife asked if i would have another c-section or natural birth this time.
    Sh etold me my OB will ask me when i go back in 4 weeks what i want to do.

    I would like any advice if possible or views on this.

    Has anyone had a c-section then a natural birth.


  2. #2

    Default

    You might want to have a look in the VBAC (vaginal birth after Caesarean) to get some views of it that way michelle. If it were me I would be trying for a VBAC if both me and the baby were okay.

    Love :hbeat:

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    754

    Default

    i would prebably try for a vbac too, but having never had a c section i cant really honestly know what id do.. every birht is special no matter which way u go

    take care
    Lesley

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    After 2 natural deliveries and 1 c section I am definately trying for a vbac this time. Afterall, it wil be alittle hard for them to do a section at home
    If there is no real medical reason for you not to have a natural delivery then thats the way I would be going. Recovery as you already know is so much harder and longer on your body and with another child to look after you really don't need the extra hassle either.

    Take care
    Trish

  5. #5
    Melinda Guest

    Default

    Personally Michelle, next time around I will be having a caesar. Mind you, the OB did say to me that given what transpired during Jacob's birth and taking into account the fact that he didn't properly engage (and other factors) that it is possible that I may end up having an emergency caesar anyway if I were to try for a VBAC. That said, it's always possible that it WOULDN'T happen and I could have a normal delivery, but there are reasons why it is just as possible why I wouldn't and I really couldn't cope with labouring again just to result in an emergency caesar, so I will be taking on board my OB's advice and having an elective caesar when the time comes.

    That's just my thoughts on it.....I just simply couldn't go through all of that again IYKWIM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Jillian - Not sure why i have to make up my mind now. I'm hoping my OB does not ask in 4 weeks and i have more time. Just will have to ask lots of questions when i see him.

  7. #7

    Default

    It is so they can book the operating room well in advance, in case a c-sect is wanted, the OB will sign off on the due date, and the booking for either vaginal or c-sect will go ahead.

    Love :hbeat:

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    419

    Default

    michelle, in 4 weeks time the answer,

    "i'm not sure and not ready to make my decision" is perfectly acceptable. don't let the medical profession push you to a decision before you are ready.

    good luck

    beckles

  9. #9

    Default

    The only thing i must say is i am more scared of having Natural labour.

    The only plus side with the c-section is they may do it before my due date which will mean the baby will be born before MIL, DH and Step-mums birthdays as they are all in June. Also when we get round to telling MIL no doubt she will want to come and visit before/after the birth so I would have help that way.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    419

    Default

    do what's right for you michelle. eeek though i can't imagine wanting a c-section. maybe i have seen too many in theatre. but then i can't imagine wanting MIL or mother staying with me pre during post having a baby or ever for that matter. but then i don't 'do' mothers -

    love beckles

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ubiquity
    Posts
    9,922

    Default

    I agree do whats right for you. I think birth is a very personal thing and I think how you deal with a emerg c/s is very personal too. How you dealt with that and what you went through is definitely going to have a big impact on what you want to do and thats totally ok! As Tootie said she's not comfortable to go down that track again only to have the same outcome and personally I think its better to know that now then go through it all and be an emotional wreck at the other end and regret the decisions you made.

    I personally am going to try at a VBAC, but I never had a problem with labour, or even the C/S it was the contact (or lack there of) afterwards that caused emotional damage for me. And knowing that I am going to take the steps to ensure that the hospital I choose next time around has a good c/s policy and can assure me (within reason) of a better initial bonding experience with my next child (should my vbac fail).

    Everyone is different, and I hope whatever you choose its based on how you felt about what you went through as in the end thats all that counts Well apart from the medical side of things

    Goodluck! :luck:

    *hugs*
    Cailin

  12. #12

    Default

    To be honest Beckles i don't want MIL here before or just after the baby.

    When we told her before my m/c it took one hour for her to email saying she will be over in November which was EDD but we told her no she can come in Feb. So we will do the same this time tell them they will have to wait a few months till they come.

    She is a great MIL but it would just do my head in.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ubiquity
    Posts
    9,922

    Default

    I was just wondering what was the reason for your last c/s? I hope I didn't sound like a dill by saying an emerg c/s coz then I realised you might not have had an emerg c/s!

    *hugs*
    Cailin

  14. #14

    Default

    Hi Cailin

    It was an emerg c/s i had pre-eclampsia and was going down hill fast so they made there mind up 3 hours of me arriving at the hospital.
    But the chances of me having the same problem is slim. But you never know. At least this time i don't have the IL stressing me out. LOL

  15. #15
    layla Guest

    Default

    Hi Michelle,
    I can see both sides of this one.
    I've never had a c/s so I can't comment on that, but the recovery after a vaginal birth would be quicker I'm sure.
    However, I can understand about the MIL thing!
    How does your DH feel about it?
    I think that Beckles is right, you can tell them you need more time to make a decision if you need to!
    Ultimately you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    610

    Default

    I have to say that I would be in the same boat as Tootie. I already know that my next baby will be delivered via elective C/S. I just couldn't go through the labour pains, find out the that I'm not dialating after labouring for so long and have to have another emergency C/S. I also was one that really wanted to deliver naturally aswell.

    But like others have said, it is such a personal decision. I hope that you come to a decision that you are happy and comfortable with. Good Luck!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Melbourne
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Michelle

    I have to say that I was also asked at my 8w appt if I wanted to have natural or c/s and that is through a private OB. I think it is more for planning for theatre and so that the OB doesnt have 12 women on the go at the same time.

    Personally I am going for an elective c/s again, this will be my 2nd elective c/s. I chose the 2nd time to go elective c/s as I know what I am in for, there is no surprises and natural labour just freaks me out! I had a GA with Shannen and a spinal with Tayla and I found it much easier 2nd time around, especially since you can plan for the birth, although I did only get 4 days notice for her.

    It is something that you will have to think over. Its not an easy decision but if you have to find someone to look after Kimberley and everything then its sometimes easier to do the c/s!

  18. #18

    Default

    Thanks for all the advice last time ladies.

    Well i had an appt today and he asked if i made up my mind in what i wanted to do c-section or natural.
    I said no idea on what i want to do yet. He said i still have a little time i go back in 4 weeks so he may want to know then.
    He did tell me there is a 1 in 5 chance that if i went for a VBAC i may end up having a c-section anyway also there is a risk with my old scaring if i try VBAC.
    I asked when would they deliver and he said at about 38 weeks unless i have health problems again.

    I am going to do a pros & cons list later and see what i come up with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •