Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this a crazy idea... or do you think i could try it??

Default is this a crazy idea... or do you think i could try it??

Hi all,

I normally walk to the hospital for all my appointments etc. It takes about 45 minutes (at a late stage pregnancy walking pace). I am really dreading the car trip to the hospital when I go into labour (hoping I will go into labour spontaneously). I really feel like I would like to walk to the hospital while in labour. Is this a nutty idea? Do you think it is too risky? I am younger (25) and very fit (exercise every day). This is my first bub, so obviously I don't know how I will experience labour and labour pains. I think it sounds nuts but I can't help feeling like I would feel much more comfortable walking to the hospital than sitting in a car... (hate cars!!).

Thanks for your input... I don't know if I really would do it, I suppose I just want to be aware if I would be putting my baby in too much risk if I ended up refusing to get in the car while in labour (quite possible, considering how much more I prefer to walk than sit in a car). :-)

i dont think you should be putting any expectations on yourself to walk there - when my mum had me, her waters broke and i popped out 45 mins later, and i was her first bub.

So if you had the kind of labour my mum had it certainly wouldnt be a good idea!!

But then again, when i was in labour (15 hours) it would have been good to walk a bit more - but i think it would be just toooooooooo scarey to walk to the hospital.

I hope it all works out for you!

If it's something you do reguarly then I don't see why not. I'd make sure there was someone with you while you are walking though, DH/DP probably, so he can make sure eveything is ok & carry your water bottle & labour bag. Other than that I'd have someone on stand by at home or nearby just in case you decide you need to hop in the car part way there.

The only risk you'd have IMO would be needing to push while you're walking. But if you've got someone that you can call to come get you, I don't see that it's that great a risk really.

I personally wouldn't risk it. You never know how fast your labour will be, even if it is your first. You also have to keep in mind that sometimes there are complications (hopefully not in your case but you have to remember it is possible). Alot of people end up needing emergency c/s because the baby is in distress etc. Just something to think about.

I know when I got to the hospital I was allowed to do all the walking I liked so maybe a short trip in the car will mean you'll get to be observed when you arrive & have your walk.

Midwives suggest you walk to bring labour on faster & that worked in my case. I'd hate to think you'd already be in labour so think of how fast it COULD happen when you're walking on top of that.

It is up to you of course, this is just my opinion.

If you can do it great. My last pregnancy I could't even walk from the carpark at the hospital to the front door. DH had to RUN and get a wheelchair.

Id be worried id get to exhausted from the walk...then be to tired when i got to the hospital to deliver (push etc).

But if you could do it then go for it

I would personally rather savour my energy for the labour and pushing...

Walking during labour is wonderful for getting things moving along. If it worked well for you it could mean that your labour is quicker.

The thing that I would be concerned about is if you leave too early and you're there before labour is established then you might find yourself being pressured to speed things along if they admit you ie put on the drip etc...
    If you leave it too late then you might risk giving birth on the footpath

If you feel that you'd like to walk then perhaps have someone available on standby to be able to pick you up if you find it is too hard to keep going. I found that walking from the carpark was very hard and I had to stop to breathe through several contractions before we got to the door!

I have the same concerns as Raven. Most people try to stay home as long as possible but if you're planning on walking you'd want to start out sooner rather than later.

I think it's certainly physically possible but might be a little stressful.

But you don't need to decide right now. If you'd like to keep it as an option, just work out a contingency ie. someone you can call to pick you up at a moment's notice.

there is no way i could have walked that far when i was in labour, i would have been exhausted. jmo though

I would see how you feel closer to you due date, see what the weather is doing etc. Staying upright and moving helped with my labours but I have a long first stage where I was able to move around quite freely as the time to push got closer I most definitely would want to be at the hospital by then as the bubs came quite quickly. I think that you will need to have good support and a day time time slot for it to work, not something I would try during the evening/ night, good luck

I think you could do it, provided that someone walks with you, and that you walk along a route that will let someone come and pick you up and take you to the hospital if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel09 View Post
    I would personally rather savour my energy for the labour and pushing...
    Same here, labour can be really exhausting I wouldn't like to waste energy unnecessarily in the beginning.

I had a seven hour labour with DD1, and I think I walked at least that long in the hospital hallway! And with DD3, DH and I walked all over town trying to get labour to pick up. (But she was born at home.)
    But the thing is, do you want to be committed to walking that long? And will you feel weird having to stop and pant and breathe and possibly moan on the way? Will there be total strangers coming over to you and offering you a ride to the hospital, since you obviously need to get there? And will you be OK walking the remaining half-hour if your water breaks after 15 minutes?
    I think I'd say walk if you want to, but make sure there's a back-up plan available quickly! And I don't think you'll be putting your baby at risk by refusing to get in the car. I think if you know you need to be at the hospital quickly, or if you know you can't walk anymore, you'll be in that car like a shot!
    All the best!

paradise lost Guest

I went on a longish (30min in labour, more like 18 if i hadn't been, even in late pregnancy - bear in mind that you might need to stop when you contract) walk in early labour and it really helped get things moving for me. My ctx went from 1 in 10-12 for 40 to 1 in 5 for 90 BUT it was still another 7 hours before i gave birth.

I didn't find labour to be physically exhausting so much as mentally enhausting and the walk actually helped with that.

Take someone with you who you can lean on/hang off when you contract, and have a person at home with a car and your bag in it to follow you (you can text when you're nearly there for them to set off so they don't arrive 40 mins before you). Lol. That way if you aren't very dilated you can have a lift home again if you want one.

If i were you i'd try a walk 10mins round the block when your contractions are enough to make it hard (but not impossible) for you to talk through them, and see how you're handling it. If it feels good then begin your walk to the hospital with your trusty assistants good to go too. Breathe deep and slow through contractions. If you get the urge to make loud noises during a contraction call for the car. If you feel you need to push call for the car. If you feel tired call for the car. If you don't feel any of those things, enjoy your walk and your birth

Bx

I didn't think I'd want to go in the car either but once the decison was made to go to the hospital I found I just kind of zoned out in the back seat & was glad to get there.

If you stay at home as long as possible (where you're able to get in & out of the shower, kneel, crouch etc) once it's time to go to hossie I think you'll want to be there sooner rather than later.

HTH

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you feel like you can walk to hospital, you aren't in strong enough labour LOL!!!

I think it's great to be able to do it if you can... but of course best to stay home as long as possible too If you wear yourself out walking to hospital, and it's early labour, I would be worried you'd be too tired to be active for the rest of your labour... but who knows! It's an interesting one for sure
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i would take the car with all you bags in it then walk around the grounds or you may even have time to walk home and back again. you don't know what will happen.

when my waters broke i had to stay in hospital just in case i didn't have enough time to get back. turns out i could have flown to perth and back and still had time to have our DS.

you never know but you may well just need the car....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast