Thread: How do I get this bub to engage?

Default How do I get this bub to engage?

Hi everyone- I don't know if I'm asking dumb questions but I'll share a little of my story and seek your wisdom if that's ok!

I have a history of long term ttc. I don't know why that affects anything but now that I'm 38 weeks and not anywhere near engaged, my Ob mentioned to me that with my history he will be hesitant to let me go too far overdue (I know, I need to ask him why! I don't get it).

I've been very focused on active drug free labour but have been horizontal with low Blood Pressure for 10 weeks now- as I faint if I'm upright for more than 5 minutes - and this has worried me a little about how my body will cope with labouring at all!

Our Ob is supportive of us and our birth wishes but has been honest a) that he doesn't want to see us go too far overdue and b) that an epidural could be more likely than not due to my BP limiting my ability to actively labour.

Okay. So. there's a few issues there - I don't know how I'll go with labouring at all but my most immediate concern is getting this baby to engage etc because I do NOT want to be induced. I can't think of much worse. I can't walk around or jump up and down which might be part of the problem - gravity is not on my side!

Is there anything I can do? Do you have any tips?

Thanks everyone. I so want this to go as smoothly as possible of course with little or no intervention but it feels like it's starting to crumble!

Enchanted Guest

Rah some bubs don't drop until you go into labour so I wouldn't stress too much.

To "help" try and encourage bubs to move down sit with your legs apart and lean forward a little... it opens up your pelvis and gives your bubba more room to move down. I'm sure the other girls will have more ideas though

Good luck

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There are positions you can get into even while lying down to encourage an optimally positioned baby. Check out Spinning Babies it's fabulous. An epidural lowers blood pressure so I imagine they wouldn't want you to have one. Also means less oxygen to baby doing that.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hey Rahjah,
    My DD didn't engage till I was in labour! Now I'm no expert (and others, please correct me if I'm wrong!) but from what Ive read, if youve been flat on your back for the last 10wks you have a greater chance of having a posterior baby (which would mean a much longer & more painful labour) - some things that my midwife encouraged me to do were to: lay on a beanbag on my tummy with knees apart, (support yourself with your arms, its really comfy!) to lay on my side if on the couch etc, and to sit on a chair backwards, although this may not help you if youre going to faint being upright! These things will also open your pelvis to help bub move down.
    Hope this helps!! All the best darl

Thanks...to answer a couple of questions...

Yep I know its possible for bubs to engage just before labour, it is much less likely for this to happen with a first baby is my understanding.

Re the epidural... my Ob said ephedrine can be given with an epi that raises blood pressure, which I think is really the only raising BP option- there's hardly anything out there for that! Epidurals on their own lower BP but they can fix it medically.

Um what was the other thing? Oh! Position. Yes I've definitely been laying on my side - I feel sick on my back anyway! And bubs actually is in a good position- though the posterior thing can change within minutes! But thanks for the tip on spinning babies I'll have a look at that now.

I think probably I should just "not worry" (ehh heee hmmmmmmm) until it really is time to worry. I just called my acupuncturist so I'll go see him tomorrow and see if he can help too.

Hey Raj

Wishing you all the very very best...

The suggestions given already sound great...I just wanted to let you know our story...

We were LT TTC-ers too...3 years waiting for our little one.

Anyway...he never engaged. I went 8 days overdue and still nothing. Our Ob. (who is very pro-natural and supportive of birthing choices), actually told me it was little point inducing as it would probably end up in a failed induction and emergency c/s. He let us wait for 8 days to see if Felix would engage, as long as we had regular monitoring (e.g. heart beat monitoring).

After 8 days, nothing had happened and we actually opted for a c/s. Like you, I was planning for an active birth, had done all the research and preparation for one. I had also done all the exercises to help engage him and turn him (he was posterior)...but nothing was moving.

Ultimately, we decided, having waited so long for our little one, we wanted him out safe and sound. So we eventually opted for a planned c/s. Not what I wanted, but I can say now that it was a positive experience. I still believe I birthed him...he just came out the window instead of the door!!!

I wish that your birthing wishes come true...but just wanted to let you know, that if it doesn't all work out how you were hoping, it's still okay...

Wishing you all the very best...

I know first timers who haven't engaged until labour and had great births including homebirth.

You could try chiropractic maybe to make sure your pelvis and baby are well aligned which is a great option and really focus asap on the Spinning Babies stuff. Its a brilliant site which everyone should read.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

Monnie thanks so much for your story. I think it is something I am trying to get my head around - I have lovely dreams at night of our little bundle and ultimately, I just want a healthy bub (and me!) at the end. So the rest of this will fade as the choices become clearer, as yours did.

It's still a sad letting go along the way if that's what is to happen - but congratulations on your long awaited bub. I can't wait, it must be amazing.

One query for you - howcome your Ob believed it would be a failed induction for you? Mine is talking about trying out the gel if things don't get moving.

Belly Belly - I have an incredibly wonderful chiropractor who has been away for 3 weeks, doh! She comes back this week and I can't wait to see her so thanks for that - maybe she'll have ideas too . She's bull-headed about drug free birth so it might be difficult some of these conversations but the pelvic thing is a good point.

Inductions don't always work and if baby isn't ready or in the right spot, they get stressed and there's your c/s. Babies don't like induction drugs, it makes the contractions harder and faster - you may have pain relief (or not) but harder and faster contractions mean less oxygen for baby = unhappy baby.

Induction of Labour: To Induce or Not Induce
    Kelly xx

Hey Rah

Yep...it is certainly amazing! I think being a LT TTC-er makes it that little bit more special too!

I think the reason the Ob. felt the induction would fail is that my cervix was doing nothing! No softening, no dilation...nothing!!! Apparently, when I had my c/s and he looked from the 'inside - out', he said that my body looked another few weeks off getting ready...and given that I knew our due dates were right on track, I was glad in the end that I had the c/s....disappointed but glad (if that makes sense!)

I really trusted this Ob. as he had fought for me to have a natural birth (even though I had gyn. problems and other Obs. had recommended a c/s).

I so wish you a wonderful birthing experience...but more than anything, I wish you a beautiful little baby, safe and sound in your arms...

Take care!