Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HypnoBirthing

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Leanne Jackson is in Brisbane and is a very nice lady - she's a great place to start and recommended by Diane Gardiner here in Melbourne who does lots of work with Peter Jackson, who brought it to Australia. They have both been practicing around the same length of time.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Cass I'll email you the details as well

Marcia Guest

Oh bugger! Well thanks for the replies girls. It's so typical. We always seem to be last to get everything in Adelaide lol! Well I have a bit of time on my hands before the next one seeing as I'm still TTC, so I will do some more searching just in case anything has come up since Feb. I really really want to find something like this to help me through next time! AAArgh! How frustrating! Well I'll let you all know if I come up with anything.

Tulip- What was the name of the book/CD that you used? There seems to be a couple of different ones around?
    Last edited by Marcia; August 6th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Marcia Guest

Ok, Well I have found one person that travels here from interstate to hold classes in Adelaide. Although I'm not sure that they are THE HypnoBirthing classes they sound very similar, and I suppose something is better than nothing if the real thing isn't available.

Her name is Dr Shari Read and the classes are called BirthSkills classes. She holds classes in most of the other states too apparently. Anyone heard of her? Also wondering what is a reasonable amount to pay for the classes? These are $550 per couple for a two day weekend workshop. Is that average or is that a lot for two days?

I've bee thinking about Hypnobirthing a lot - I think i might try it for next time..

I have a feeling it won't work on me in terms of not feeling pain, but i figure it will teach me good relaxation methods that I can use even when i'm not preg.

I had a qn, everyone says its good to have certain pain during labour, as you can tell that you are progressing, and i even found it like a good pain so to speak, so if you can't feel that, can you end up dispondent cos you don't really get a sense of where you are up to?

I don't even know if that made sense, but i hope it did!

Do they run courses in Melbourne? How much do they cost?

Marcia Guest

Thanks for the advice Tulip! Well I might look into just getting the book and CD too then. I'd really like some classes too, but if it's just a reading of the book it isn't worth $550!! I thought the classes might go into actually practising the breathing/visualisation and a bit more indepth explanation and guidance.

Our classes have a bit & made the techniques a bit easier to understand. It can be hard to close your eyes & visualise while reading a book ykwim? I find it easier to have someone watching you during an exercise to help you if you are doing it wrong. But that is just me too a worry wort that I am doing something wrong LOL. Having said that I'm going through the Morgan:Hypnobirthing, so it may be different. Even with the course you get a DVD, Cd's and book. The book is similar to what we go through.

Marcia Guest

Have just been reading the website for the BirthSkills classes and found the info that says Dr Shari Read is in fact a registered HypnoBirthing instructor. Just thought I better come and correct myself on that one

You can also try Dr Chris Vose. She runs Optimum Birth on the Gold Coast and Brisbane and has fantastic Hypnobirthing classes. You can go Google Optimum Birth to get more info
    Last edited by Lucy; August 14th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

Sal Guest

Yael, my hypnobirthing didn't help with pain during labour (it is an individual thing, whether it will work or not, some people are simply not hypnotisable, for everyone else it is a spectrum, so will work a treat for some, less so for others) but it did make me super relaxed in the weeks leading up to the birth.

We start our Hypnobirthing sessions next monday. I am lucky that a fellow ABA counsellor is a Hypno Birthing practitioner & is happy to do for us for free .
    I know her well & get on with her just as good, so I am hoping it will be a very positive experience. She uses the book "hypdnobirthing" By......... can't remember. But she said she has to import them from USA.
    DH doesn't think I will be able to do it. He thinks I am too stubborn. LOL but Pam (the ABA lady) said thats great because I will be more determined to prove him wrong LOL.

FionaJill, thats the book & series we have been going through with our coaches. I have really liked some of it. I find the video's to be incredible and really cementing that this is a way to have a more calm & relaxed labour & birth. I guess thats the whole reason I'm doing it.

We've put our relaxation cd's together for me to listen to at night now & do breathing & DH is keen to practice relaxation things with me. We've had a pretty stressy house lately with lack of sleep due to a toddler with no desire to stay asleep during early hours. So I'm hoping that things will settle down & relaxation will help more & more.

I've also typed up some affirmations in my style to personalise it and put it in the toilet to get my mind frame working properly

I've also typed up some affirmations in my style to personalise it and put it in the toilet to get my mind frame working properly
    That is such a top idea Christy.....might have to pinch that one......the loo is the only place I get any peace!!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

I am interested in hypno-birthing too. I get very anxious and am a lousy mediatator. Wonder if i can turn this around at this stage of pregnancy (30 weeks in). Had some traumatic experiences in hospital in my past, am sure this contributes.

THink anything that doesn't use medical intervention, is worth a shot. I know i am a visual person, so the stuff some of you mention about visualising breathing love in to the bub, and flowers, that sounds beautiful to me.

Just changed midwives to one who is very pro-natural birth. I think i will be able to ask her all the questions i couldn't ask the other one. It was scarey to change but now i'm glad i did.

Kelly and Christy...I spoke to Leanne this morning and what a lovely, lovely lady she is!! Looks like January is when we will be going to classes and I'm looking forward to it so much. She gave me a brief overview and it all makes so much sense and then when I told DH more about it he's all for it Thanks both of you for your help.

YAY Thats great Cass. I think hypnobirthing has been so good for me! I've had a few stresses and anxieties this time around happen and I have found what I have learned to be fantastic in relaxing me, and as I'm getting closer when I have BH's now its a great time to practice.

Christy, I told Leanne that lots of ladies from BB had said they had used the techniques in other parts of their lives and she said...that's because it really is a life skill and not just birthing. You've just pretty much confirmed that Not long to go for you now...

I am finding it hard to do my hypno birthing stuff. I have finsihed up the classes as such but i am not actively doing it at home as practice. I am teo minds about how your suppose to get in a deep state of relaxation while remaining active during labour, which is want I would like to do..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast