Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Induction after waters breaking?

Default Induction after waters breaking?

Hi,
    It looks like I could have a waters leak, not sure if hind or fore, I have to do a pad soaking test and then rock up to hossy in an hour or so for monitoring.

The midwife has said to me this morning that if its my waters, the hospital wont want to leave me for more than 18hrs or so before an induction, which I presume would be in the form of the drip. I want to avoid this if poss - are there any other suggestions?

Obviously sticking things up there is a no-no for infections, so I'm trying to come up with some other natural options. I've even been told they are not all that keen on doing internals if its the waters for infection reasons. My GBS came back fine.
    I'm guessing just walking is about the only thing I can do to get things moving?
    I've got constant dull ache at the moment, with occasional, irregular, mild contractions. So labour is definitly not established yet.

Kelly - it would be great if you could pop in this morning and refer me to some bits and pieces. Or if anyone else has some suggestions it would be muchly appreciated. I want to go armed with a plan of attack so I can say no to a drip if poss.

Ta!
    Fi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hindwaters can reseal and waters replenish themselves - I recently posted some info on this so if you run a search you will find heaps of info I posted I'll see if I can find it too, might be in here or maybe third tri?

I have had a woman at the RWH go 48 hours, but that was broken waters. Your choice.

I know Sarah had a hindleak... but wasn't induced after 18 hours.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

I'm not sure its hind water though Kelly.....
    I've already soaked 2 cloth heavy pads since last night, one in an hour this morning, and I've got a plastic pad on this morning for them, obviously sitting on my butt isn't allowing the flow to come out, when I stand up I will get a gush though.
    Apparently if its not hindwater the pad will soak through in an hour or less. I think this is the case.

They are happy to let me come home again after monitoring me, so thats all good. I guess I just have to push a little harder to extend the 18hr time frame?
    Its just as soon as the intervention starts its bye-bye to my FBU birth

I just need to turn this dull ache into something constructive!

Fi, my hindwaters broke at 6.30 in the morning, i soaked through pads constantly,went to be monitered and as i was also strp b neg, was given 24 hrs to go into labour, but it didnt establish itself and was induced 27hrs after waters broke. i too wanted to avoid an induction, did everthing like walking around the block, up and down stairs, really wish i had sone more homework to avoid the induction, so i dont blame you for wanting to avoid it. good luck and ck on the 18 hr thing as i think you can go much longer.hope you acheive what YOU want, best wishes

Fi my waters l eaked with Maddy on the Tuesday early in the morning 3 or 4 amish & was a larger gush on Wednesday night about 10pm, I was still told to stay at home & have hot showers but not hot bath & walk, walk, walk... On Thursday at 4am, I started vomiting blood & feeling really unwell (still no decent contractions) they took a sample & Maddy was distressed & there was alot of meconium in the waters so they induced me... about 8am Thursday!!! So see how long you can delay it, but at the same time if it is inevitable maybe get it happening sooner so you can meet bub???

It was so exhausting I didnt sleep at all from the initial leaking til after maddy was born!

It sounds positive Fi if you have the dull ache and the waters - thats how many labours start with waters breaking. So try and stay away as long as you can, if you show signs of fever heck have a/b's but if you and baby are okay and the waters are clear, sounds good... it can take hours for labour to establish after waters breaking and the medicos like it to be only a few hours which sucks.

If you go in for monitoring, you may just start off all that intervention and get stuck on the bed which wont be good for your contractions. Keep up and active, go for a walk and try and get things moving while its morning. Try some nipple stimulation if you want and if you have an accupuncturist, see them - try and beat the clock. Remember you are in charge and can say no, ask for evidence something is wrong if they tell you they want something done while you are both fine... try and buy time, negotiate etc....
    Kelly xx

My waters broke at 4am and we have it until 2pm that day to see if anything was going to happen and nothing did. I tried to encourage labour by walking around, lots and lots, etc but unfortuantely nothing worked for me. I had high b/p that day too, which was a first, and bub was posterior. I ended up being induced with the drip but insisted that I was to be free to move around and it wasn't to be constant monitoring. My midwife was great with my requests, she'd monitor me for a while, then take it off and let me walk around or have a shower. Even when I was being monitored, I refused to lay on the bed, I would stand up leaning over the bed, or sit on the ball.
    I hope you get what you want in the end, good luck.

Thanks everyone. Great info for me.
    I'll head in very shortly for the quick check. It was the FBU midwife that asked me to do so, and she has said I can go home afterwards, so I reckon that option will be OK.
    I am sure after last time they will help me stay off the induction path as long as poss. I just have to keep moving as much as possible. As dribbly and unpleasant as it is!!
    Bec's here now wiht Eliza, Shane can drop me in and come home and I'll stay there for an hour or so with a good book i spose

Chat later!

Good Luck Fi!!!!!!

Maybe get Shane to take you on the back of the Harley a few bumps might help....

Well I'm back, and they just did all the normal checks. The midwife was pretty happy its just hind waters, which is good. I have to go back again in the morning if I'm still leaking, and then they will talk about AB's, but my contractions (some mild, some a little bit stronger) are about 7-10mins apart, so I need to get them going!
    Apparently there is still plenty of fluid around the baby, it feels a bit posterior (which she said is OK for second bubs as they tend to flip themselves moreso than first bubs) and the head is still mobile, so she told me to go home and think calm happy thoughts.
    Isn't that nice? She said that loving thoughts about jenna, and playing with the baby's clothes and things liek that will help to relax me and stimulate the happy hormones which will help get things going. (and to breastfeed her if I could, but I dont thin kthats going to happen..... She just licks my nipples now!)

My all time favourite midwife is on from 3:30-9 tonight, so that would be lovely, but I think this baby is still a bit happy to be getting into that sort of action just yet.

So all good here for now, hopefully some more action in the next few hours or maybe over the weekend

Good luck Fi. Hope you can get labour going. very exciting.

Goodluck Fi! I hope things get moving soon!

*hugs*
    Cailin

awww Fi!!! Goodluck! On my last day I had a tiny leak and dull ache all day. I had a massage & as I got up off the table I felt a little wetness and thought it was funny but when I got home it was pink tinged and then that night I went into labour! So I've got everything crossed for you!

One little hint that Trish gave on some thread that I remembered... use disposable nappies if you have some!! You can get a small cheap pack & use them to soak up the leaks & the first few heavy days of lochia. I used them & didn't ruin any undies Also I think Shannon said that cloth nappies work well too... I don't know about using them for lochia though..

Thanks for the tips Christy - I think I'm going to rip up some old towels and just mooch around the house with those folded up inside my knickers. This water business sure makes a mess!
    I only have 6 disposable nappies adn they are there for the babysitter for Jenna if needed. Too funny using Jenna's cloth nappies for me, but I guess people have done stranger things!

Pardon my ignorance.. what's FBU?

Good luck getting things moving, Fi. I had my waters break (not leak) and was augmented with the drip the next morning (12hrs - demanding more time next time!!) but had a smooth labour even with the drip.

Get those lurve hormones flowing Fi! LOL - cuddle Jenna, think nice thoughts about DH. LOL. Oxytocin would have to be the best hormone

Liz, I'm assuming that FBU stands for Family Birth Unit

Good luck, Fi!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast