Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me??

It's such a scary thing... I know that they ahve all seen it many times before... BUT THEY HAVEN'T SEEN MINE!!!

So they NEVER look when doing internals??? They just poke around???

sunshine Guest

I only had one internal, and she didn't look. Didn't hurt either, just a bit uncomfortable. Afterwards, midwife said that my colon was quite full, and offered an enema, but at the time I was having strong contractions every 3 mins, and really didn't fancy it - just wanted to get on with the job!

I ended up pooing while pushing the baby out. We were in the shower, me on all fours, hubby holding showerhead on my lower back, OB and midwife "behind" me at the business end (sorry if TMI! Just thought you could use the mental picture!). I only know I'd pooed because the OB asked for the shower head off my husband so that she could rinse the bits down the drain!!!!! LOL (then and now!).

I am not a very body-shy person, and never miss a pap smear, but I wasn't at all inhibited giving birth. However, I did find the checks afterwards (I'd had a few stitches and was very bruised) a bit unpleasant - this is when they did look! - but only touched very gently. I just wanted to be left alone to heal (but I know it was necessary).

G

Oh you poor darl, I had all those thoughts going through my mind aswell.

But, having been there now and done it - my boyfriend said he didnt look at my 'privates' the same way when Amber was being born as to what he'd usually look at them. He found it amazing and seeing the 'privates' was the last thing he was thinking about or focussing on. In saying that, he couldnt watch when the Dr or Midwives were giving me internals, he didnt like other people touching 'his' areas!! They did hurt towards the beginning, but at the end when you just want that baby outta there, that pain is the last thing on your mind.

As for pooing during the pushing stages, yep - I did it. I felt it come out and was apologising the whole time. The Midwives were very discrete about it and said it happens to everyone (kinda didnt make me feel better but anyway!) Your partner will understand that it's a natural process and I'm sure he wont give it a second thought when his beautiful baby is born.

Wishing you all the best of luck - as you say, focus all your positive energies into VBAC and you'll do a wonderful job.

Hi,

thankx alot everyone for the reasurrancei really appreciate it.

i feel so much better about it all now,but still a bit scared about the pooing thing

I hope if i do it,hubby forgets about it lol

ta!!

In most cases (having watched / assisted with a few deliveries in my time - but I'm not a midwife so don't take this as gospel) the poo is only a small amount, not like your usual poo. So think 5cm length not 50cm IYKWIM. It makes it a little easier to think of, even if you are still embarrassed. As for being down the *viewing* end - I don't look at the private areas, I'm looking at the head starting to appear. It is a totally different look Good luck!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12