Thread: Not sure but i think im in labour

Question Not sure but i think im in labour

A bit of background on my day....
    DS 1&2 didnt sleep much at all last night, so i got about 4 hours broken sleep. Today DS1 went to preschool, and DF took DS2 out for a few hours so i could rest. I slept for over 3 hours. Which is not like me at all during the day.
    So i wake up and start feeling crampy as i have been because my labour was stopped on friday because bubs was transverse. I didnt make much of it.
    So everyone came home and things were fine. DS1 wouldnt go to sleep for ages, which is unlike him as he spent the day at preschool and is normally asleep by 7.30.
    At 10.30 i decide that i should try and get some sleep then the period pains start. I try and sleep through them but they arnt letting me but they arnt getting stronger. Plus i am feeling "tingly" in my vagina (sorry TMI) and restless.
    I had a few strong contractions and they were 3 mins apart but thats it. Plus now i have REALLY bad backpain. Like i did with DS2.
    So am i in labour? I cant sleep. HELP.

Mmm its hard to say but since you still have a couple of weeks to go I would perhaps just call the hospital to get some advice. Good luck!

Not sure, maybe! Def call the hospital and tell them, they'd be able to help...
    I've heard some women have pains similar the few weeks leading up to the big day.
    HTH.
    Best wishes!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you are not sure you are likely not (well not in active labour anyway).

I would avoid the hospital until you are sure and play as much of it down and ignore it until you can't anymore, to avoid any unneccesary procedures/interventions. Absolutely nothing the hospital can do in early labour but send you home.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Scorpio
    I agree with Kelly
    If you are happy at home then stay at home. It does sound like things may be starting however you may have some time to go before things really get cracking.

Hi Scorpiomum,

I hope you are ok today and things have progressed one way or another for you.

In response to:
    Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    If you are not sure you are likely not (well not in active labour anyway).

I would avoid the hospital until you are sure and play as much of it down and ignore it until you can't anymore, to avoid any unneccesary procedures/interventions. Absolutely nothing the hospital can do in early labour but send you home.
    Check out my birth story. I definitely did not think I was in labour and I most definitely was. If I hadn't phoned the hosp and eventually gone in I would have had DS at home. In light of the fact you've had your labour stopped once and your bub was in a bad position I would definitely get checked out. You don't want a dangerous situation arising. My advice, play it safe. At the end of the day you want a healthy bub and a healthy you. Don't avoid hosp for fear of intervention.... you may just need it.

0.4% of babies are BBA (born before arrival) so I wouldn't see that as being a likely outcome. It happens sometimes but is rare.

This is based on Victorian Peri-Natal Data collection.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    0.4% of babies are BBA (born before arrival) so I wouldn't see that as being a likely outcome. It happens sometimes but is rare.

This is based on Victorian Peri-Natal Data collection.
    No way! I feel so special now! :P

Were you in labour Scorpio? Or are you still around? If you are, go with your gut perhaps, and you can always call the hospital for some peace of mind, at least if they tell you to stay at home you won't be wondering if you should yet or not.

All the best for whenever it all happens!

It is funny though because the planned homebirth rate is 0.3%! So less than the babies BBA. But that may change slightly, I think the next report is about to come out? Think every 2 years it's collated.
    Kelly xx

Hi everyone,
    Im still here although i am still getting the pains and they are worse, especially when i walk around. I had my 37 week check today and they sent me home with panadine forte, It hurts so much. They reckon its an irritable uterus. Do you get back ache with an irritable uterus? when you walk does it hurt heaps?? I am seriously thinking i should of let them perform the emergency c/s last friday. I dont want to be in this pain anymore, every time bubs moves it hurts, and when i do too. I am in tears atm coz im in so much pain. What should i do??????????

You can do it.

It sounds like things are happening if they are getting worse & there is back pain. Go have a shower. It might help with the pain.

If this is it, just remember that every pain brings you closer to meeting your bub.

If you are worried, you can go get checked out & go home again. Just for reassurance.

Good luck!

Thanks skye, im going to have a rest now. well try. Actually a shower first, then rest! Good idea! LOL

Do you have a hot water bottle or a wheat bag or something you can put on your back? Do you know if bubs is posterior? that would account for your back pain. I found that by 37wks I would be having a lot of pain like you were - much of it in my back - and I spent more than a few nights wondering if it was *it*.

I would be inclined to agree with the suggestion that it is an irritable uterus having read this Our Definition of Irritable Uterus - do you feel that describes what you are feeling?

Hi everyone i am still here, my computer moniter lcd light went so i am using my FSIL laptop once a day.
    Some of that article does describe what im going thru but its more prelabour than anything. I have now had my show in 2 big clumps so im guessing things are getting ready! Im just being impatiant.
    Thanks anyways ladies and Alan!

Haha, it's hard not to be impatient towards the end hey. But try to tell yourself you've got quite awhile to go still, so you're not crushed if you go over, and you can be pleasantly surprised if you go earlier!
    All the best!