Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh dear... *sigh* (article)

I doubt that a risk-averse obstetrician (with a very large insurance bill) would agree to delay a birth so that someone could score big time on the baby bonus. It all seems a bit over the top to me.

I agree ... if it's a matter of days, then why not wait? Apparently most elective c/sections take place at 37 - 38 weeks. Mine was at 41 weeks so at least we were sure he was well and truly overdue. =)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thats the thing Mel, many women regardless if it's to do with this particular issue, will demand to be induced or to have a caesarean. Women will always have choice and that's okay but even in cases where Obs are advising otherwise, women are still demanding to have these procedures. (back to July issue) It is completely unfair to those coming into hospital with spontaneous labour. Imagine being turned away from hospital when you get there as a woman in spontaneous labour as you have no beds available for her due to everyone having their inductions and caesars? This very thing happened at my last birth, we turned up for an induction (for a medically based reason) and because they had taken in double the amount of women they normally do for inductions in a day, we could not have the induction done that morning. All the beds were full and we were told they had one spare bed which was allocated to any spontaneous labour coming in.

If I was awaiting my baby being born, I would not want the stress that there may not possibly be a bed for me, and I think the basis to all of this is that there needs to be better pre-natal education available to all. The pre-natal education in hospitals is completely inadequate. When a woman says yes I have choice and yes I am completely informed, is she? Our rates of inductions and caesareans are SO high that it's scary, and how many women will tell you they chose and induction and would never do it again? Of course some would, but the majority wouldn't. That doesn't sound like they were empowered and informed to me. I admit I was neither with the birth of my two kids, even though Elijah was a natural birth. It was amazing that I got to 9cms on my own at home - I had no idea, I was expecting to be able to go to hospital and have an epidural when it got worse - I had no faith in my body whatsoever. But I'm going off track here - if the amount of induced and caesarean births booked at any one time affects those who choose to have a spontaneous birth (yes we have choice too) then that is of great concern. Just as those have choice to have a medical birth, there are those who choose to have a spontaneous birth and they should have equal rights and opportunities to get a bed in hospital at any given time. And another point - if the hospitals are full up of women who have had caesareans and inductions (something that leads to increased caesarean also), what happens if someone needs an emergency caesarean and the theatres are full? Midwives are already flat chat run off their feet, how will they cope with all high needs women post-birth? Obviously post-caesar you will need more assistance and monitoring due to infection risks etc.

(hope I haven't offended, I am just trying to discuss another side here)
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

The fact that in some areas spontaneous births are the minority is just too frightening to comprehend. I am sure the figures would acutally be similar around Chrsitmas new year too if anyone checked that out.

But aside from that it is just wrong that women who do go into labour on their own may be turned away from hospitals because of this unusually high rate of inductions/caesars. I couldn't even imagine how I would feel if I turned up in established labour to give birth and I was turned away.

Well this is disturbing!!!1 I was induced with both kids but have a medical problem that prevented me releasing oxytocin!!! But now that my Tumour has been ELIMINATED iam hopeing for a spontaneous labour!!!! My Obs was very encouraging and said i can go past my due date and see what happens! At my 12 week scan my placenta was low which is usual but if it hasn't moved i may have to have a ceserean, (unles there are options of moving it up somehow??? Kelly??????)Obs not worried though saying that 90% move up by 20 weeks!! If i have to have a cesar i would love to still have the option to go into spontaneous labour then if necessary have a ceserean, infact my mum had 5 cesereans with the natural labour proces!!!! So why can't they do that now, atleast you now the baby is ready to come out????????? soorry for going off the tracks here!

Absolutely no need to worry sweets, this is very common, and unfortunately it is common for *some* Obs to book women in for caesars for at this point when it is completely unnecassary - this came from another Ob!

The lower part of your uterus does most of it's stretching in the middle of the last trimester, so thats when it is likely to move. I would refuse a caesarean that was offered to me on the basis that I have a low lying placenta anytime before then. Only something very small like 1 in 200 have true placenta praevia.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 20th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Well he didn't seem worried he said it was most likely to move. I really really do not want a cesarean!!!! If it doesn't move can i still have a natural labour???? He too said that cesar was a LAST option he mentioned that one of his patient had a low lying placent till 36 weeks then suddenly it moved. So you are probably right that most of the times OBS are to impatient and just organise a cesar when it wasn't necessary!!! He did say that if didn't move at the 20 week scan he would monitor thru frequent ultrasounds, as to avoid an unnessary operation. I know some people love cesareans, but for me there is no satisfaction as a natural birth!
    i'll wait and see in 2 weeks and hopefully it has moved up, but in all i have a good feeling that i may go into spontaneous labour with this one, my other 2 i knew that i would go over but for some reason my intuition is telling me that this baby will be in a hurry to see the world!!! Well at lesast i hope so
    Thanks!!!

If it's not covering your cervix, I am sure it will be fine But if the placenta was wholly or partially over your cervix, you would need a caesar or the placenta could rupture with the cervix dilating. I would say you have a very good chance of that placenta moving especially if it isn't on your cervix at all You'll just need an ultrasound later in your third tri, frequent ones aren't really necessary unless he is concerned about something else, which I am sure he's not. In two weeks you may be disappointed if it hasn't moved, just remember that it will probably move later in your third tri.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 20th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Kelly xx

Thanks Kelly. yes it was totally covering my cervix, but as you said and the obs, 90% move up by 20 weeks, so atleast i'm praying that it has Thanks i will post about it in 2 weeks!!

If it's totally covering your cervix (total/complete placenta praevia) then it's a bit different - that is when it could be a problem resulting in a caesar. Hoping it will move for you, a low lying placenta is a much better thing to have than placenta praevia, but perhaps you can clarify with your Ob next time if its a complete placenta praevia or not? Fingers crossed for you hon - it's still early and hopefully with that time it will go walkies Have you had any bleeding with this pregnancy? You may notice some in the third trimester with this condition.
    Kelly xx

I had bleeding in the beginning 5- 8weeks but nothing at the moment i hope it stays that way!!!!! I hope it moves!!!!! Me don't want to be CUT!!!!! Too scary!!! I had an operation 3 yrs ago and when i look at my stitches i FAINTED!!! This is comming from a div 2 nurse!!! Go figure that i can watch surgery i have been in scrubs and yet can't handle my own wounds!!! WEIRDO!!! Thanks Kelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12