thread: Separated Stomach Muscles

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

OP ~ Part of it is I know what to look out for. if i lean forward or sit up funny my tummy cones, itms. like it becomes pointy. and when i rest back down it feelsodd...like something is in a spot it isnt meant to but after a few gentle rubs it feels normal again (no pain with it though), plus when i feel my tummy it is alot softer in the middle and Spocks movements (feet and what not) poke out abouve my belly button alot ..clearer than anywhere else.
    I have been really good tho, rolling on my sie to sit up etc, I think it is from getting up out of our lounge (it eats you).
    I know a little bit is normal, but i just have that feeling mine is more than 'normal'.

HotI ~I was wearing tubi grip through out my 2nd tri and when I was working...havent since then though..

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

OP ~ Part of it is I know what to look out for. if i lean forward or sit up funny my tummy cones, itms. like it becomes pointy.
    Mine does that now! Definitely asking the MW at my next check.

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

I had a 4 finger wide separation that is now 2. I did a lot of pilates which also helped the pelvic floor too. Starting at 6 weeks PP though!

Nov 2006
    Sydney, NSW

Thanks for the blog site - will check it out!
    Where do I get this tubigrip thing people keep mentioning?
    I tried to use a belly band that a friend of mine made me to wear during the pregnancy (just to lengthen my tops and cover my pants) but they were already too big for me as I lose my pregnancy really quickly.
    I haven't weighed myself recently but I would wager a guess that I've lost all but 1-2 kilos of my pregnancy weight and bub was 5 weeks old on the 20th! I have lots of tummy toning to do when I am able though as the skin is really loose.
    I tried to check my separation the other day and I think I was only able to put one finger in so it has definitely improved.
    Thanks again for all the thoughts ladies... so bad that there isn't better information out there for us!!

Cheers,
    Heidi

Nov 2006
    Sydney, NSW

Forgot to mention... have been carrying bub in my Hug-a-Bub a LOT and I hope that is okay... midwives and physio both said it was okay to carry the baby and with two older boys (one of whom I'm homeschooling) I have to wear bub to get through the day. I was actually wondering if having the Hug-a-Bub tied around my waste would be helping to support the muscles?? Not sure...

Anyway... bub is getting upset and wanting a feed so I'll come back another time to see what more information people have posted...

Oct 2007
    Caroline Springs

I had what was classed as severe separation during my pregnancies and it got worse with each pregnancy. By the end of my third pregnancy you could easily fit your hand in the separation. My Ob told me that it originally split because I was quite slender before my first pregnancy and that I had a very rapid growth when I first "popped" during my son's pregnancy. My separation never went away between pregnancies and while it's smaller now than while I was pregnant I think it's either never going to completely heal, or take a long long time. I guess having three babies in under three years takes it toll.

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

First pregnancy I had a 4 finger separation, and it healed itself over a couple of months. I did light exercises as prescribed by the physio, and I wore tubi-grip as directed, but I didn't have to do anything fancy, and it wasn't painful at all.

Second pregnancy, I didn't have any separation at all.

FX yours sorts itself out quickly and painlessly too

Oct 2008

Just as a side note...

Every time I see this thread it reminds me to do my exercises. Thanks ladies for helping me get my tummy back

Nov 2006
    Sydney, NSW

Hi all,

Just want to ask again where I can get a Tubigrip?? Would it be any benefit to start wearing it now nearly 6 weeks after giving birth? I'm making a more concerted effort to do the two exercises the physio told me to do and I think my separation is healing though it feels like I can still put two fingers in!! Going to have to keep at it I guess...

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i am still wearing mine at 4 months PP and notice when i don't have it on - don't feel as strong in the core. some chemists have it, or a physio. the ones i wear now are not actually tubigrip, but a similar wrap made by a wahm. i can look up her ph no if you interested, she sent mine out for $40 i think. i have tightened mine, but i wor it when i was preg so prob stretched it.

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

mine was given to me by the physio in hospital, the day of or the day after the birth.

I would have thought there would still be plenty of benefit to getting it (or something comparable) and wearing it

GL!

Aug 2010
    Albs, WA

I did my exercises for 18 months and only got down to a 3cm GAP. hopefully Ill do better this time

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Got mine from the hospital physio too. But the physio I saw privately also had it - I'd assume if you went for a consult, they'd probably give it to you for free as its just this kind of big roll of stuff, they measure a bit out and cut it off. Nothing fancy.

Have you seen a physio yet? Really recommend getting onto that if you can.

Nov 2006
    Sydney, NSW

Thanks ladies!

A physio came and saw me briefly in hospital but I was only in hospital for 22 hours after birth of DS#3 and they were flat out!
    The physio spoke to me about it for a few minutes and gave me a piece of paper with instructions and directions on how to do two exercises to help the separation heal. I'm supposed to be doing the exercises daily but haven't been able to do them every day for a variety of reasons.

Ocean Princess... I have a phone number on the bottom of that piece of paper to call so perhaps I will do that and arrange a follow-up and maybe ask about getting the tubigrip then as well!

More things to add to my to-do list SIGH but in the long run it is better if I get on to this!

Thanks again...

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

at the public hospital they charged $10 for tubigrip. i used to do my exercises when i was doing my teeth, driving in the car, standing up bathing the baby. if you start doing them as part of you everydy things, you then find yourself doing them without even thinking about it. well, it worked better the first time, i need to be more consistent too

Aug 2009
    Ipswich, Queensland

I didn't do any exercises, just wore a stretchy compression belt thing. i didn't get told how long to wear it for by the middy and random ppl after told me i should i only wear it for a few weeks. i think i ended up wearing it for six.

Nov 2011

Can I ask, does it affect natural birth? My friend has the condition and I think is considering a c-section because of it.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Nope, doesn't affect a natural birth at all. A c-section will only damage the muscles further by cutting through them, so it will just make healing more difficult.