Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is detailed in your hospital notes re your delivery????

perthmum Guest

Oh, Lil Aussie, that is so terrible! I'm glad we got our med notes but really they are useless anyway. I also had a lawyer say we could win, but after reading and trying to make sense of the notes we decided against it. They were written to the hospitals' advantage and not what I believed to be a true indication of what really happened. We have also decided to try and move on (we are trying for #2!) but its difficult and scary. All I can say is be angry about what happened to you, I certainly still am, but make the most of what you do have. I was lucky, even though I nearly died and have been in and out of hospital, I do have my beautiful little boy. Maybe a way for you to move past this is to send a letter to your doctor, even if it is a long time later, let him/her know its not forgotten. I did this and at least feel I have made a stand and not just let it go. Hope this helps and am sending you a big cyber hug!!

Lil Aussie - that is atrocious. Unfortunately I think there are a few people out there with bad stories about how they were treated during the birth of their stillborn. I'm very sorry.
    Relle - if you had asked me before the birth if I had wanted my motehr there, I would have certainly said NO!!!!! Yet she was in the room when they did the internals, and administered the epi, and through all of my contractions. She left when they started trying to turn Jenna by hand (small drs hands...) cause it was just all getting a little gross by then!
    All the while she was saying - I remember this, I remember how it was with Chris (my brother), its all coming back to me.
    Unfortunately we dont have that close a relationship, so had she mentioned some of this stuff beforehand - it may have made a difference to me!
    All the same - it was great having her experience all this, hopefully it wont happen that way again.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Fi, I am sure it will not be so bad for you next time!

I was really able to be far more prepared and knowledgable the 2nd time. I actually enjoyed the sense of achievement the 2 nd time and had the birth that I had planned for!

As far as a little gross, I actually have photos of my son 2nd son being delivered! (my face is not in them though thankgoodness, so if anyone ever finds them, they won't know who it is!!! lol) but I find these photos a really really great reminder that I can do it and will do it again next time!!!!

I was given 3 copy of my birth notes, 1 each for me, GP and MCHN.

They didn't mention that I had had sutures, let alone how many, but I know there was a record as the OB stuck the barcodes/labels ont he wall of the birthing room and they were presumably put in my file.

I just thought I would update, I have received the form to request my notes and posted it back to the hospital yesterday, so I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to get a copy without too many problems!

Another update here girls - I just received the copy of my notes from the hospital, and I have just had a huge crying session reading through the notes for the birth of DS No1!

It is going to take a while to absorb it all in, but I have had alot of my questions answered. I didn't have any problems getting them, just sent a cheque when they told me they had located the notes and sent me a letter outlining the costs which was around $35 - For me, it was money well spent. There are some acronyms that I am not sure about and will do some research on, but it answered SOOOOOOOOO many questions and feeling I have had sInce the day of his birth.

I have found it to be very very theraputic! (I am crying again!)

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh Relle, that's great!! Good to hear.
    I too would be interested in reading my notes. Hindsight is a valuable thing and I find myself asking questions all the time. I just wasn't paying attention at the time (nor did I know what I should have been paying attention too) and I think I was a little spaced out on pain-killers to care, iykwim?

Debbie Lee - I absolutely know what you mean! I have since had some help deciphering the medical terminollogy, but to be honest the part that I have found to be the best and most therapautic is the running notes about what time things were happening!

It has

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12