Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's she talking about?

Default What's she talking about?

I know this is a tricky one, because it's a third hand (as opposed to second hand) account, but I am really curious. Someone was talking to me about a discussion he had about a friends birth. She said that she didn't have an epidural, but she had an injection in her upper thigh as a form of pain relief, that made her legs go numb. Aparently, she couldn't have an epi because she was having a c/section.

Now to me, it sounds like she did in fact have an epi, and the injection was the oxytocin that they give you after the birth of your baby to help get the placenta out (that is oxytocin isn't it? correct me if i'm wrong i'm not entirely sure). There isn't any form of pain relief that you get as an injection in the upper thigh is there?

I also know someone who said she had a c/section for no medical reason whatsoever. That doesn't happen, does it? I mean I know there are situations where you get to choose between vaginal and cesarian, but a woman isn't usually given that choice unless there's a reason why a vaginal birth might be complicated, right?

Sorry I know it's hard to comment on other people's experiences, I was just curious as to what you all make of this.

Hey Babysocks!
    I have no idea about the numb leg thing, or about not having an epi because of c-section. (I understood that epidural was the method of choice for c-section.)
    But, there are injections for pain relief in labour that can be given in the thigh - both Demorol and Nubain. I've had 'em, and they both sting crazy to receive. They are narcotics and provide some relaxation and pain relief, but not numbness, as far as I know, and they are not used for c-section.
    As far as having the choice of a c-section vs vaginal for no medical reason, I suppose in one way, everyone should be able to make up their own mind about how to get their baby out, but I hardly think that would be a wise decision! Sounds a little odd to me!

Pethadine is given as an injection into the thigh although it never made my legs go numb at all.

Not sure on the c/s bit though sorry.

As far as I was aware that if you have private cover you could choose to have a c-section, something that you tend not to be able to have when going public. One female Aussie celebrity apperently had a c-section due to her mother's own childbirth fears, rather than reasons of her own.

my best friend had an elective c/s in public hospital due to the loss of her first baby during labour, not for medical reasons , but she'd never have another vaginal birth due to the trauma,

Women with private health cover can opt to have a CSection just because they want to (which is why private hospitals have such high CS rates).

I chose to have a CSection in the public hospital system for my 2nd DD's birth because my first VB left me with post-traumatic stress disorder. That wasn't documented anywhere in my medical records but after hearing my story the Drs were quite happy to approve a CS for me. Which is just as well because when I visited the birthsuite the room we looked at was *just* like the one I'd given birth in the first time and I wigged out completely! So not sure if that's considered a medical reason or not.

BTW - an injection in the leg would not be adequate anaesthesia for a CSec - it would block sensation in the legs but not the abdomen where the wound is made. Was she in labour already and had a shot of pethedine to cope with the pain while the anaesthetist was found and the surgery prepped? If it was an emergency CSec and she didn't already have an epidural in, they would have put her under a general anaesthetic and the injection in the leg might have been a preparatory sedative, or even something to stop her from vomiting while she was under. Does that make sense?

A friend of mine chose a c-sect (and recommended I do the same) as she said a vaginal birth destroys your body so much so she wanted to keep herself nice. There was no medical reason for that and it was about 5 years ago now so I don't know if it's getting harder to do that.

Out of curiousity, Ren, what was she worried about wrecking? I'm thinking a scar would be a fair bit more disfiguring than the type of tearing that is most common in delivery. I mean, some women to tear badly, and I can understand that they would be a little afraid the next time, but on average, I'd have to think a c-section does a lot more "harm" to your body than a normal delivery.

I agree- I think a c-sect is way worse on your body. I'm pretty sure she was convinced your vagina was never the same and loose and floppy if you have a vaginal birth.

Quote Originally Posted by ren View Post
    A friend of mine chose a c-sect (and recommended I do the same) as she said a vaginal birth destroys your body so much so she wanted to keep herself nice. There was no medical reason for that and it was about 5 years ago now so I don't know if it's getting harder to do that.
    One of my friends has been advised the same from some of her friends who claim that their sex lives are not as good afterwards and it has her very concerned if she ever was to fall pregnant. From what I can gather it is to do with how they tore, I have explained to her about positioning, support etc and have advised her to do her own research and not just listen to a couple of people. Her own gyn has advised her to have a vaginal birth as it will help with her chronic period pain which is related to her cervix not opening up enough, something which giving birth will help. So for her it is a trade off relieve the pain (which has her bed ridden for days) or risk her sex life not being quite as good.

Pls be mindful that we don't turn this into a discussion that ridicules those who have had c-sections.

Baby socks - there are no drugs that can be administered into the thigh to adequately numb for a c-section. It is possible that the woman had a pethadine shot and when it was administered it hit a nerve causing altered sensation in the legs but certainly not enough for a c-section. The person relaying the story to you may have not have been given the full story or may have forgotten a piece of it.

I have not heard of anyone in recent times being able to select a c-section for non-medical reasons (other than psychological reasons which I consider medical). I don't know of any Obs that would do it either. Of course, we don't know the full story of the woman who gave birth so noone can really say for sure that she had it for non-medical reasons. Perhaps she had a very valid reason but didn't want to tell the person who told you?

MG

Pethedine is given as a shot in the thigh during labour - I guess in some women it may create a sensation of numbing the legs but generally it just "takes the edge off" contractions and makes you feel a bit spacey in the head.
    Peth is not adequate anaesthesia for a c/section, if she had a c/s she would have had either an epidural or a spinal block.

The oxytocin shot is only used after a vaginal birth, if she had a c/section the placenta would have been removed manually and if any oxytocin was given it would have been via her IV, not an injection.

As far as c/sections go, if a woman is using a private OB generally she can ask for a c/section for no medical reason and she would usually be granted this request. Rare would be the OB that would put serious effort into talking someone into a vaginal birth. If you look at some the statements the RANZCOG have made about Australia's atrocious 30 percent caesarean rate, they have repeatedly tried to blame it (at least in part) on mothers who have requested to have a caesarean...even though it appears that less than 5% of c/sections in Australia are done because the mother asked for one before labour.

I just wanted to add that I had an elective c-section with DS and I went private for mine. I just told my OB that I wanted a c-section - with no medical reason - and he was fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Pls be mindful that we don't turn this into a discussion that ridicules those who have had c-sections.
    Don't see that so far as someone who has had a c-section myself. Many people have their reasons that are valid to them but not to anyone else. My concern is where some people are trying to convince someone else to elect a c-section based on their own fears, concerns and/or misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by ren View Post
    I agree- I think a c-sect is way worse on your body. I'm pretty sure she was convinced your vagina was never the same and loose and floppy if you have a vaginal birth.
    He he i laughed when reading this - sorry but how very vein! sounds like that was the husband talking!! But in all honesty it did cross my mind and after the birth when yes, your vagina is a little worse for wear i thought i my gosh..will it ever be the same???

So i suppose i relate, however my choice was to have a child and it takes time for you to come to terms with your 'new' body!

Sorry to go off track everyone...

Just in case it looked like I was dissing c-sects- I'm not. I think they are a wonderful life saving surgery and we are blessed to be able to access them when needed. I do think choosing one to save your vagina is over the top though as it's major surgery and certainly not an 'easier' option on your body.

a girl in mothers group says her sex life is the best it has ever been since giving birth and tearing!!
    yes my fanny looks different but hey our bodies change throughout of lives and tend to head south anyway
    i think elective c/s should go on indervidual circustances
    there are higher mortality rates for c/s

I have no desire either, to belittle/mock/dis those who have had c-sections. I just think it's sad that there are women who are so terrified of labour that they will choose major surgery instead, when they have never experienced it themselves. I'm not talking about those who have lost babies in labour, or whatever - that's a fine reason in my mind for opting for a c-section. I mean those who are going on hearsay, or have no knowledge at all.
    I saw my mother go through c-sections, (I have 7 younger siblings) and knew how much she dreaded it, and how long it took to recover afterwards, and then I see what my sisters and I go through when we have our babies naturally. There is no comparison. A vaginal delivery is so much easier on your body. And, with a few kegels, everything is back where it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast