Thread: What is counted as high BP?

Default What is counted as high BP?

When should BP be a concern & which number is more important?

I was feeling off a little earlier so went to the chemist & got my BP checked. Normally my BP is around 110-120 / 75 and this time it was 146/80. The pharmacist said the lower number is more of a concern, so not to worry. Just wanted to check though.

THe pharmacist is right Sarah. THe top reading tends to fluctuate quite a bit depending on how stressed you are, how much fluid you have had etc. The second reading is the bigger concern as it isn't supposed to vary by much. I had high blood pressure throughout all of my pregnancies and no one was really concerned until it hit about 160 and the second reading was almost 100. Try lots of fluid and getting your feet up! ALso just mention it to your Ob at your appointment.

I was told when i had pre-eclampsia with DD that they arn't overly concerned until the lower number is 90 or more.

Cool, thanks guys

Yep my Dr was always worried when mine was /90....

Sarah, through all my pgs, my bottom number varied from 60-70 and even went as low as 50 a few times, but there wasn't ever any cause for concern. Could just be because you haven't been well this past week. You don't have any other problems, no headache or swelling you dn't normally have?

Just felt a bit bleurk for a bit & my eyes seemed funny for about 5 minutes which was my main concern. Though all it took for my eyes to recover was sitting down for a bit & having a cool drink (I'd been running round shopping with a LS shirt on & it was quite hot).

You're probably just still getting over your cold - it wouldn't take much exertion to make you feel like that if you're not 100% yet.

Sarah
    watch it if your eyes go funny again as visual distubance can be a sign of PE. If i happens again, I would get it checked out as soon as you can
    good luck with it all- you are nearly there - clever chickie!
    HTH
    odette

Yeah that's what I was worried about Odette. When the pharmacist said it was ok I wasn't worried so much. I wrote it down on my antenatal card so will definitely mention it at my appointment on Thursday.

Hi Sarah
    Although the bottom number is most important the top number is also somewhat important. 146/80 is a little high and although it is not scary high it is worth keeping an eye on. The main thing that would concern me is that your eyes went funny for 10 minutes. It is not unusual for your eyes to go funny for a short time but 10 minutes is a little too long. If this happens again and lasts for more than a couple of minutes it would be a good idea to get your BP checked. In fact, if possible, it would be a good idea to get your BP checked daily for the next couple of days or until it is a little closer to your normal reading of 120/80

Thanks Alan I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days before my appointment.