Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast Feeding AND Formula Feeding

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby is now up to 3 bottles a day. She has 2 x 180ml during the day and a 240ml one just before bed. I will increase the ones during the day once she starts polishing them off and looking for more. I don't want to make big bottles for her to only drink half of them. The breast milk is definitely disappearing. I got my period back.. hooray!! NOT! I am not too phased tho. In a way, it will be better knowing exactly how much is going into that little mouth. If I can keep the morning BF and perhaps an evening BF for at least another month, I will be happy. I am sure the morning BF will be possible for a while. At least that way when she starts waking because of teeth, I can still give her some booby to get her back to sleep because I won't have completely dried up.
    I have bought one more tin of the S26 step 1 and, when that's used up, I'll buy the step 2.
    I am also giving Gabby 2 lots of solids a day. So far she has had pumpkin with her farex and apples with farex. She loved them both. She sees the bowl now and starts getting all excited. It's fun atm... I bet that wears off after a while

Debbie Lee Guest

I can totally sympathise, Shannon. I know how much it means to you to fully breastfeed Jessalyn. With all that she is going through and will go through, all those little goodies in the booby-juice would be doing her wonders. BUT, when you need your sleep.....

I do feel a little more in control and less freaked out about it all. I guess I am just happy to have gotten this far. With all this time having doubts as to how much BM I am producing and worrying (and being told) that it's not enough, it is nice to know that Gabby IS getting enough now. I just hope that with my next baby, I will be able to fully BF and use this experience as practice, iykwim?

Well Matthew has had his first bottle of formula and had it no probs. I didn't have enough expressed milk stored so he had one while I was at work.

I thought it would have worried me but it hasn't. He is on solids now, as well as having 99% breast milk the other times so all is good.

Did start him off on Heniz stuff, but he did have a tummy ache. So wondering if that was the formula? He hasn't had it for a few days so I'll see when he next has it.

Debbie Lee Guest

That's great Nell. It must be reassuring to know that when your storage of EBM runs out that Matty will take formula. Hopefully it didn't give him the tummy ache.

Ok... I have run into another dilemma. According to the formula tin, a fully FF baby should be having 5 bottles a day. Gabby still only takes 180mls (which makes up 200mls) at a time except for her last bottle before bed when she will drink around 220-240mls. I don't know how I am meant to fit 5 bottles into the day!
    She is generally up for 2 hours, down for 2 hours. That leaves 4 sessions where she can have a bottle... not 5.
    Her last 2 hours where she is awake before going to bed (between 8-10pm approx), I give her a BF, solids then her last bottle. Once she is fully on the bottle, I can't really give her 2 bottles in the last two hours, can I?

Debbie Lee Guest

LOL... thanks Shannon. I do get myself into a tizzy at the best of times. I'm not stressed about it anymore. I figure Gab will let me know when she hasn't had enough

I amazed at how quickly my supply is dwindling. I don't even feel slightly full in the morning n e more. There's still must be enough tho cos Gab still feeds for 10 minutes and makes her usual gulping noises. I would like the morning feed to last a bit longer. I guess I will see how it goes

Thanks for that Shannon and Deb.

Deb - I agree, Gabby will soon let you know if she hasn't enough.

Debbie Lee Guest

Things are going really well atm. Gabby is loving her bottles (though I am finding she chucks a lot now - it's taking a bit of getting used to). She's not so crash with the solids but I think it's because she is getting filled up well by the formula.
    I am finding my supply for an evening and first morning feed is still pretty good so hopefully that will keep up for a while.
    I am also getting used to having to wash and sterlise bottles more often and having to make sure I have all the supplies when we are out and about. It's not too bad really.

well i started FF and still breastfeeding about 2 months ago....i give Dominic BM first thing in the morning from the source when we are still in bed,though that will stop soon because he has 6 teeth and is biting me every opportunity he gets!! LOL!!
    during the day i express every 3-4 hours,and feed him that milk the following day,so he generally gets about 200-300 mls of Bm per day and the rest is made up of formula...
    He switches really easy between bottle and boob after the first week or so,and sleeps anywhere from 10.30-11pm to 8am or so....
    I am still on Domperidone so i can keep up my supply for him and be able to express as long as i can,and if i can get my supply up enough i would like to start building a freezer stash for him...So i am taking fenugeek capsules and also drinking MM tea....
    I get really guilty some days when i think i have stopped bfding fully and feel like i am being selfish,but then they say you only need 4 ozs (about 80 mls) of BM per day to get all the necessary immunities out of it,so i guess it isnt too bad...And i only gave up because i had a bad infection,and mastitis,and then i got a really bad blister from attachment problems
    As soon as i reach 9 months,i am definitely going to give up the morning feed though.Im really only continuing with it now so i can become a breastfeeding counseller eventually...
    anyhow got visitors so i gotta go!!

Debbie Lee Guest

That's fantastic, Suzie. It's great that you are able to still give Dominic so much BM and it sounds to me like you have it all worked out.
    That's really interesting about bubs only needing 80mls of BM a day to benefit from the immunities. It makes me feel a hek of a lot better about my decision. Imo... doing a bit of both is far better than giving up completely!
    What do you think of the fenugreek? I had to stop taking it because it was making Gabby's urine smell pretty gross and her farts like pure methane (eww!). Mine weren't too pretty either

LOL,the fenugreek doesnt seem to affect Dominic most of the time,but it does me!! LOL!! Oh well there are worse things to smell like than maple syrup....I like it though,it seems to work for me....
    Yup Shannon i am on the Motilium....What do you want to know about it?? i am a member of quite a few groups that talk about it,so i think i know a fair bit now....
    Dommie slept from 12am to 7am this morning again...i just wish i could cut that 11pm-12am feed out and have him go to bed at 8 or 9pm...

Debbie Lee Guest

Hmmm... we definitely didn't smell like maple syrup. It was more like a cow-pat, LOL.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fletch - that's fantastic that you feel good about your decision to do a bit of both. It's pretty much the same as what I am doing. Morning feed and dinner feed.
    I am finding it really liberating actually. I can now wear a normal bra during the day! Hooray! I know I am not meant to but it's done wonders for my confidence now that my boobs don't wobble too and fro as I waddle, LOL.

Shannon - fingers crossed that Jessalyn takes the bottle ok (and that the NAN HA does the trick). Gotta beef that girly up! Let us know how she goes.

Gabby is getting so cute with her bottles. I gave her a bottle with some cool boiled water in it to play with today. She got so frustrated because she could pull it to her mouth but couldn't figure out how to tip it up to get to the water. She'd drop it in frustration then pick it up and suck on the bottom of it. So cute!

Shannon as far as i have learnt from my groups,the maximum you can take is 9 10mg tablets in three doses of 3 per day....That is what i am on at the moment,but am hoping to drop one tablet and go back to 2 by xmas time....
    where are you getting yours from?? There is a good drug company where you dont need a prescription that i order from,because i found it hard to get a dr who would prescribe them more than once for me,as they dont know anything about them here in Oz...
    this is a helpful link about the dosages and other interesting things...

hope it helps!!
    Dominic is in bed at the moment,so i dont know how long it will be til he wakes,hopefully before 12,because i would love an early night lol!!
    Hope everyone is well!!

Girls........

I have made this post a sticky for you all..........

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks for making this a sticky, Lucy. I was secretly hoping it would be one day

Shannon - I have always given Gabby her night time bottle when it's bed time. I wrap her up, put on a bib and feed her. She drinks about 200mls and sometimes zonks it. She goes straight to bed as soon as she has finished it. The last few nights I have fed it to her unwrapped and then wrapped her straight away and put her to bed. She still sleeps through (without the dummy because she's too full to protest, LOL). I guess I do it this way because the bottle used to completely zonk her when she was only weeks old. It was my way of getting her to go to sleep. As for the expressing - I have never bothered because I started off using the bottle as just a top up. I would BF her then give her the bottle straight away. So I figured I wasn't really missing a BF at all - just giving her some extra to get her to sleep. Now she gets a BF when she wakes up from her last nap and the bottle about 2 hours later.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fletch - that's great! Yay for Zane's fantastic weight gain! It goes to show that what you are doing is working well.
    Gabby has 5 feeds a day - 3 bottles (2 x 180mls and 1 x 240mls) and 2 BFs.
    We use Avent bottles too. I love them. I think they look nicer than other bottles, LOL. Gabby hasn't tried anything other than Avent so I have no idea how she would go. Knowing my luck, she would have been fine with the reeeeeallly cheap ones.

I just went to Safeway today and got a couple of the little sippy attachments for the Avent bottles. I am trying to get her to have some water after she has solids (even if it's just a little bit). Unfortunately they didn't have any of the handles that attach to the Avent bottles. I guess I will have to search around the chemists.

Debbie Lee Guest

That's great Shannon. How did Jess sleep last night?

I have bought Gabby some of the 6 month teats but I don't think she's ready to use them yet. She's still pretty happy with the number 2 ones.

Debbie Lee Guest

Bumma about the poo! Hope that habit goes away soon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast