Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Breast Feeding AND Formula Feeding

I am at the moment going through the do i start weaning already question. I idealy would like to feed to 6 months but unfortunately need to go back into work more than I have been and she is getting more mobile etc and I dont have room for a porta cot or anything to contain Victoria better than the rocker which she is happy in at the moment but i cant see her being so for much longer. THerefore I think we are going to have to look at childcare for 2 days a week that the other half cant have her.

I have given her little bits of formula with some EBM in it too but we are stuggling to find teats that she loves too.

What teats are you all using? She hates the Avent ones, she gags on them coz they are so hard so we tried the 0-3month pur teat and that was a bit better but she hasnt got the hang of having a bit of a breather and ends up just chewing on the teat not getting enything.
    Anyone got any ideas for me?

Cindy, we tried Emma on the medium flow avent ones last night. She has avent when she has a bottle, but often does what you said & just chews it. But she had nearly the whole bottle in about 5 minutes last night (probably a little bit too fast) - it normally takes her about 20 minutes normally. They were just the 3+ months ones. Maybe you could try faster flowing ones in the pur brand?

Debbie Lee Guest

I can't help you there, Cindy. Gab has only ever had avent bottles (apart from in hospital) and we haven't had any major issues with them.
    I would agree with Linda tho - maybe the teats she is having aren't fast enough for her?
    It can take a bit of practice with something new, too. Maybe try to avoid chopping and changing too much for about a week. Offer the teat that she has drunk the best out of so far and see how she goes. Maybe even offer it after a BF so that you know it's ok if she doesn't get much in (so it doesn't constitute her actual feed - just practice?).

Good thinking with the bottle after the breast idea! I had a look at the medium flow ones today but thought i would give her till the end of the week with the slow flow at first and do it only after her actual feed.

Debbie Lee Guest

Let us know how you go, Cindy!

Matthew loves the PUR ones, the ones with the 'Y' slit in the top?

The Pigeon Periliastic (sp?) ones have a little y shape hole too.......these are the only ones Charlie will take.

Olivia hated Avent too, & would only take the cheapo "Happy Baby" orthodontic teats from Coles....so she was as cheap as chips!

Come to think of it - I think the ones Matty had were the Pigeon ones Lucy has mentioned. Whoops - least they started with a 'P'!

Question for you all - Matty is one month away from 12 months, once he is there, should I not buy formula for him at all and give hims cows milk for his formula feeds? He'll still be getting some booby juice but its ok to give cows milk as well?

Debbie Lee Guest

Nell - I have been told by various people that going straight onto cow's milk at 12 months in fine so I'll be doing it when Gab gets there. Still, I'd watch pretty closely. I have heard of people alternating between formula and milk or doing half/half in a bottle. I don't know if I will bother with all of that tho. Each to their own, hey? Wow @ Matty being so close to 12 months!! He's growing so fast!

We are mixing it up a bit....he will happily take either boob or bottle, and I tend to base it on what we are up to....if we are at home all day, just the one, or if we are out and about, more bottles.

I can't stand BF'ing in public....so uncomfortable for me having my big grey boobs and flabby tummy hanging out. Especially as Charlie is so huge, it is just awkward for us. (The nursing chair I use at home is SO comfortable, it has spoilt me for everything else!)

Now Charlie is into the solids we shall see how we go.......Olivia self weaned as soon as she got a taste of solids, and Charlie is certainly very keen on the solids too, and less interested in the boobs.

Plus he is SO easily distracted on the boob and comes off all the time and looks around: it drives me mad.

Personally, I now prefer the bottle as we can interact more and I can gaze into my little mans eyes whilst he chomps on the bottle.....

So its a matter of weeks rather than months, I think...........

Shannon, it must be normal: I ahve chatted with other Mums about it too....from about 4 months onwards it seems they are just too busy having a sticky beak to concentrate on the job in hand!

I get so irritated by it,a dn often say to Charlie, "C'mon mate, quick game's a good game" but talking to him only makes him even worse! Wheras on a bottle he can at least look around but still drink.....

So Shannon, don't feel guilty, at all.........

Debbie Lee Guest

Guys... my Mum told me about how we used to do that too. When Gab was only a couple of months and was going through a difficult phase, she said "Just wait until she starts getting distracted and looking around - that's when the fun starts!". So, yep... just more confirmation that it's completely normal.

I suppose it's our culture that makes this sort of thing difficult - we don't want our boobs exposed and we always have somewhere to be. In a perfect world we'd all just be able to wander around with our boozies hanging out, bubs can snack when they want to and there's no hurry.... LOL.

Good to hear things are going well with the mixed feeds, Lucy. They do get to an age where FF is easier, imo. Early days, BF is definitely the most convienient and easy. But, once they are down to 3 feeds a day, relying a lot on solids, it's just not such a chore with the bottles. I was a little funny about it when I first started to cut Gabby's BF's down but, really, the transition was pretty smooth. Apart from about a month of projectile vomitting (which I attribute to the formula she was on), we really haven't looked back - except for me missing the intimacy of BFing.. that took a while to get past.

It all works out in the wash, hey?

Hey guys

Well as of the next feed i can officially join this thread (but ill join now!!). I love BB i have been feeling exactly as both Lucy and Shannon. Hendrix has been exclusively breast fed till solids were introduced at 5 months. Now breastfeeds have just become impossible (except for the morning and evening) he does exactly what charlie and jess do. Looks around sucks for a second pulls off, sucks again pulls off and my supply is dwindling because of his lazy suckling. I want to keep feeding for the other two but i just feel i need a break and FF would give me that. I have been feeling guilty over my thoughts but had really good chat to my mum yesterday and came home thinking that this is definately the best thing for the both of us. SO now ill join this thread with my other BB mates and gain the support that is so often needed in motherhood.

Heather sweets, I know that feeling you describe so well.

When Olivia weaned, it took me about 2 weeks to get over the guilt and failure feelings. But then I really moved on once I saw how she chowed down the solids so well, and I realised that I was a lot more loving and patient towards her because, dare I say it, she wasn't being as "parasitic"? (I know that is awful, please note that that was just how I felt at the time).

With Charlie, I am now at the point where I am weaning him onto the bottle full time. A few weeks ago I felt torn apart with guilt over this, but now I have got my emotions around it totally.

So Heather, it sounds like you have had all your guilty feelings, & can now move on, and it is so good that your Mum is supportive. If you are excited about some newfound freedom, it sounds like you are making the best choice for you and Hendrix.......

Debbie Lee Guest

Heather - I felt pretty guilty too. From the get-go, Gabby was having a formula comp. feed at night and I would always look at the warning on the formula tin - breast milk is best for babies, consult your doctor before using this product... blah, blah, blah!
    I think it sux how we, as mothers and parents, are made to feel guilty even though we are making decisions in the best interests of the child (and ourselves for that matter).
    You are doing what Hendrix needs to be a healthy and happy bubba and there's no shame or guilt in that. Good on you!
    I hope the transition is nice and smooth.

Well for the past few days i thought my decison to comp feed had gone out the window as i couldnt get hendy to take any formula. I tried different bottles with differnt teats, sippy cups you name it. Well today i thought i try one more brand of bottles (nuk) and guess what?? He loved it - almost drank the whole bottle. So good news on our front.

Heather, if he likes the orthodontic shape of a NUK teat, the "Happy Baby" brand from Coles are pretty much exactly the same, but HEAPS cheaper.......

Thanks Shannon. We now are only BF morning and night (and through the nights!!) but formula feeding during the day. But he will only take around 100ml at a time?? Im wondering whether he like Jess needs the faster flow as he works at it suck suck sucking and i think wow he must of almost finished but when i tip up the bottle its always only 100??

I too have tommy tippee, avent and pigeon stuff! It really feels like such a waste but what can you do??

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast