Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

WC sucks L - i'd just go with the ab's - should be fine hun

Ez - massage, feed as often as you can, but don't overdo the massage - it will encourage supply, alternate heat and cold - i think it's heat before and during feeds, cold cloth after (someone correct me if i'm wrong please - its' been a while since i had a bad dose!)

minor whinge (would be worse but i vented in boo hoo
    my dumbass doctor made me feel like a clueless FREAK today because i refused to wean or give him a date i was going to for a non-essential medical test
    i walked out almost in tears, and have been feeling horrible ever since. not because i'm feeding and feeling like i am doing anything wrong - i know i'm not - but i wonder what the hell he was thinking and how many people who are not as strong in their heart or their convictions have been forced into doing something they really didn't want to do. i am damn PROUD i can do something so amazing for my girl - it's not wrong to want to do this for her

Oh no Ez, I hate mastitis! Just gotta keep emptying as much as possible and work out any lumps. It can take a few days, but hopefully you'll feel better after a day or so on antibiotics.
    Sorry to hear that BG.

BG, I admire your strength. You know you are doing the right thing but it must have been awful to have to come up against such negativity

Urgh I'm worried now - I just weighed her and she was 4.6kg - her last feed was at 5.20, weighed totally naked. I swear she was close to this weight last time I weighed her - that was about 2 weeks ago?

She is 6 weeks today and was born at 3.5kg - has she gained enough?

subscribing to this topic

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    She is 6 weeks today and was born at 3.5kg - has she gained enough?
    I think as long as she is gaining its enough? I wouldnt be to stressed looks like shes doing great
    Last edited by ~Minny~; May 8th, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling!!

She's definitely growing Mel, try not to worry .

Vent ahead! I'm so over this mastitis!! It's appeared in the other boob and I'm still so sick! Fever and chills came back during the night. It's making it hard to want to continue feeding that's for sure. I'm miserable, DH is miserable, DS is never satisfied sucks!!

So DD is 3 months old today which makes her my longest breastfed baby of all. It's been such hard work and we are still struggling and I'm sure that its sheer stubborness that has got me this far. But I am quite proud of this little goal. My next goal after 3 months was going to be 6 months but with how hard I'm struggling it just seems to much so my next goal is 4 months. Hopefully we'll be able to make it.

Well done M2boys! Shorter-term goals are better when things are tough. You've done really well to keep going!

Ez, mastitis really does suck! Are you on ABs and being taken cared of?

A - how're the wet & dirty nappies going? Are these the same scales? How does she look, how is she acting? 1.1kg gain in 6 weeks (not including any weight loss she made back at the start) sounds fine - you have to average it out as weight gains can vary a great deal week to week.

M2boys - you are much more stubborn than I am - I definitely would have given up by now - so you really rock

Mad - Some of her nappies haven't been soaking wet or anything when I take them off, usually 2-3 hours between nappy changes and then a change overnight. Usually 2-3 poos per day, mostly 2 I suppose. Same scales. Looks.. uh.. fine I guess? LOL...

She was really restless yesterday, and I'm getting really jack of this 10 minute cat nap things between feeds, she's getting so overtired by the end of the day that she won't feed properly (rarely feeds to sleep here!) and then I wonder if she's like DD2 was - a happy starver. I'm so stressed out, and I know people keep telling me its all good, but when you FF 3 children, and the last FF one had borderline FTT when I was feeding her, well, its hard to have the faith in my body and everything she does (fusses, or pulls at the nipple etc) I start thinking its not enough food. Even though she feeds every 2 hours during the day, I think maybe its cos I don't have enough and thats why she doesn't settle for long periods - arghhh!

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to FF. Which is ridiculous and you are all welcome to hit me over the head, but seriously, its how I feel. Which is bad, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ezymay View Post
    Vent ahead! I'm so over this mastitis!! It's appeared in the other boob and I'm still so sick! Fever and chills came back during the night. It's making it hard to want to continue feeding that's for sure. I'm miserable, DH is miserable, DS is never satisfied sucks!!
    I think you are doing a really awesome job My midwife said to get apple cider vinegar on the inflammation because it helps draw it out. And to get LOTS of rest. xxxxx

It's not ridiculous, it's quite understandable really - that's what you know and it worked for you. But this can work too
    On paper it sounds like she's doing ok. The restlessness could be due to all sorts of things, not necessarily lack of milk. But you know the golden rule - listen to your mummy instincts.
    So she feeds 2 hourly during the day? Both sides? How long for? And at night?
    DD wouldnt' feed to sleep to start with but she's over that now Which is handy as she also doesn't like feeding when tired. She makes up for it through the night though

It's not ridiculous at all Arimeh, do you know how many times I have been that close to running out and buying a tin of formula each and ever single day over the last 3 months. If I only had 1 child I probably would have but as you would well know taking multiple littlies out isn't a small errand it's a mission so I haven't. But I understand that feeling very well, I battle it EVERY day. Every day we keep going is a success

Quote Originally Posted by MadB View Post
    So she feeds 2 hourly during the day? Both sides? How long for? And at night?
    She feeds on one side every 2 hours. She has about a 10 minute feed, then gets fussy, so I take her off and burp her (change nappy if needed) and then she wants more, so I put her on the same side and then she pulls off herself sometimes, or I take her off when she starts pulling and chomping a bit, give her the dummy and she usually wants to go to sleep. So a feed usually takes on average 40 minutes all up. Then at night she usually wakes once - her last feed is usually around 8pm, then wakes around 1.30am (ish!) and then up again at 6.30am.

I can't wait till she falls asleep at all feeds though...

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    Even though she feeds every 2 hours during the day, I think maybe its cos I don't have enough and thats why she doesn't settle for long periods - arghhh!
    Mel, it sounds like everything is fine to me. That weight gain would be about 180g a week so that's good. And what you've said of her feeding is just like my DD2, nothing out of the ordinary, she also fed every 2 hrs at that age on one side for 10 mins or less. Sometimes it doesn't feel like she's emptied that side so I burp her and put her back on, then if she doesn't want it I try her on the other side to see if she wants that, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. She also doesn't settle for long and is a catnapper, PITA but it's not coz she's hungry (you've seen her, she's a fatty).

So all that behavior you're talking about seems perfectly normal to me, only in the last couple of weeks DD has stretched out to 3hrly feeds, but sometimes still every 2 hrs.

From your photos S definitely looks like she's growing and looks well fed You're doing a great job. All you have to do is feed her when she wants it and your boobies will take care of it. If you're worried could you take her to the MCHN to get weighed or something just to reassure you?

OK, I'm new in here but was hoping for some advice (and hugs !). I'm just getting over my second bout of mastitis, which seems to have been brought on by a sore, cracked nipple and white spot (bleb) I've had for ages that has been causing me pain on feeding. Has anyone else had any experience with white spots? I did what the chn/lactation consultant suggested and 'popped' it with a sterile needle, which seemed to help for a few days, but my nipple is soooo sore again and the white spot is back. It hurts where the fabric of my bra touches it, and absolutely burns when I feed, to the point I have tears in my eyes.

Ezy - Huge hugs and sympathy with your mastitis. Hope you're feeling a little better.

Oh hang on, weren't we wondering a few pages back whether you had an oversupply?
    The only thing I'd suggest is if she's done with the first side and it seems empty, then switch her over maybe?

Sorry JL I don't know. That sounds nasty though.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast