Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding when pregnant Chatter Thread

Ladybug I found that the pain comes and goes, but feeding the older of my two is always more uncomfortable. dD is great though and will hop off when I start counting. She tell me now "nuffing coming out mummy" or "yay milk is coming out today" haha

DS has cut down his feeds dramatically since i got pg. it was probably the first sign, but i didn't realise the cause. He might have a feed during the day, but it usually only lasts a minute or two, and then will have one or two over night. He doesn't fall asleep at the breast anymore, except over night but then he sort of rolls away and falls asleep. He also will ask for water after a feed, which makes me wonder if the milk is more concentrated so he is not getting his thirst addressed.

He has had a dairy intolerance, so i haven't been able to supplement with cow milk, like i did with DD. It looks like he is becoming more tolerant with age though, and can handle small amounts of dairy now. I am a little concerned about calcium intake and going to look into alternatives, especially if he cuts out any more feeds.

Last night my DD stayed at my Mum's, and so it was just DS and i at home. We had dinner at Mum's so got home late, and i transferred a sleeping DS to his bed. He slept all night!! and when he wandered out this morning, he crawled into my lap and had a good feed. He then wiggled up and then swapped sides. It has been weeks (months?) since he has done this, and he also rarely takes both sides. It was really really nice, he even giggled at me while feeding, and if he does wean soon ish, i'm glad we had this morning to look back on.

DS has cut down his feeds dramatically since i got pg. it was probably the first sign, but i didn't realise the cause. He might have a feed during the day, but it usually only lasts a minute or two, and then will have one or two over night. He doesn't fall asleep at the breast anymore, except over night but then he sort of rolls away and falls asleep. He also will ask for water after a feed, which makes me wonder if the milk is more concentrated so he is not getting his thirst addressed.

He has had a dairy intolerance, so i haven't been able to supplement with cow milk, like i did with DD. It looks like he is becoming more tolerant with age though, and can handle small amounts of dairy now. I am a little concerned about calcium intake and going to look into alternatives, especially if he cuts out any more feeds.

Last night my DD stayed at my Mum's, and so it was just DS and i at home. We had dinner at Mum's so got home late, and i transferred a sleeping DS to his bed. He slept all night!! and when he wandered out this morning, he crawled into my lap and had a good feed. He then wiggled up and then swapped sides. It has been weeks (months?) since he has done this, and he also rarely takes both sides. It was really really nice, he even giggled at me while feeding, and if he does wean soon ish, i'm glad we had this morning to look back on.

Sneaking in... I thought I'd continue some of my musings from the breastfeeding beyond 12 months in a more specific thread. So as I've noted elsewhere, DD is pretty much on a total right breast strike and will only have a tiny bit from my left side. I'm only newly pregnant but in hindsight her striking was the first symptom of this pregnancy. But now I noticed that the left side, the side she WILL drink a little from, is much more tender than the right side. The right nipple is hardly tender, the left is super tender. The left breast even feels bigger and fuller. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Pain sensitivity of nipples/breasts I find change throughout pregnancy. I found in early pregnancy that my supply actually increased but then dropped with about 20weeks being when it has the biggest dip in supply. My kids don't seem to be bothered and actually want to feed more when I'm pregnant.

I'm just imagining grotesquely mis-matched boobs. One Barbie boob and one Ken doll man boob.

double post

argh, not enjoying bfeeding today. avoided it all day. ds has a feed before feed, but i could only handle it for a short period. tried swapping sides but that didn't help. in the end just had to take him off and give him cuddles. thankfully, he was pretty tired and didn't take too long but it still sucks.

the nighttime lying down feeds (usually one/night) are ok, but the rest usually suck. i can't handle it if ds moves his head at all, and i have to hold the breast so there is very little movement. Also, can't handle him touching me anywhere (except my hands) while feeding. poor kid, it's not his fault.

How is your LO Ladylove?

I can NOT feed Amelia on the left at the moment, and she's gotta be in the exact right position to be on the right. On the left it's suddenly giving me the absolute creeps and I want to push her away On the right it's just a pain thing, she's been a bit rough lately and it only feels right if we're in a certain position.

The baby's been booting her if we're tightly belly-to-belly, so we're both getting a giggle from that

Teni, that's kinda where i am at the moment. creepy, yucky feeling. i've been through it with DD, but it is still so confronting to feel such horrible feelings when feeding has been such a good thing.

very cool that Pudding is giving A some kicks. i have an anterior placenta, so not sure if DS will get to feel it (if we last that long).

Oh yes get you on the horrible uncomfortable feeling, I feel bad for yelling get off at times. I find it harder with DD than DS. And yes also can't stand ANY touching of chest area. I get these feelings when not pregnant but they are hugely intensified when pregnant and sometimes I end up just crying.

My left nipple is still the only sore one... Unfortunately for me this also the only side DD will feed from at the moment. She also has a cold and last night for the first time since she was tiny she bit me on that sore nipple ... Twice! Yow!!!

I'm past the sore nipples I had for a few weeks. Def still getting milk, no colostrum yet. Hopefully this continues for a while.

For those who've BTDT, when did it change to colostrum?

I found the transition of milk to colostrum slow as in it was a gradual change and then became a milky version of colostrum. But then didn't go to complete colostrum until Bub was born. This time 25 weeks and still very milk like here

Colustrum started later for me, like thirty something weeks. Like eenee said it transitioned for a bit. I noticed it because dds poos changed consistency.

I admire you all breastfeeding while pg. I did it with dd but ds was such an intense feeder I had to finish, and he was over 2 so I figured he was ok.

Ds still touches my boobs and I freaking hate it! Creepy crawly feelings for sure!

Oh good. DD2 got a place at preschool next yr for one day a week - not keen on weaning her and exposing her to all those germs when her new sister will literally arrive a week before!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    Oh good. DD2 got a place at preschool next yr for one day a week - not keen on weaning her and exposing her to all those germs when her new sister will literally arrive a week before!
    that is one of the big reasons why i am unsure about just weaning DS now. It was handy having DD breastfeeding when she started kindy this year.

My milk didn't change to colostrum till around the week DD2 came. You'll know it changes, the movements are pretty horrific lol. DD1 didn't seem fussed by the difference at all but some kids are.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast