In my experience, I found the older generations to be a lot more accepting of breastfeeding - I guess because back in their day, formula-feeding was something for sick babies/mamas only and they may see the frequency of formula-fed bubs in today's society to be a matter of 'laziness'? I know my parents were only really supportive of me BFing DD2 because they knew it was important to me (the way they saw it, formula hadn't hurt DD1 any so what was the big deal?), but I know my nanna was impressed to see me 'still' boobing away at 6 months when we went to visit her. She talked openly about her own BFing experiences and didn't bat an eyelid when it was time to feed DD2, I found most older people I came across either remembered BFing, or remembered their wives/sisters etc BFing and it was not even something they bothered to comment on Young people, on the other hand... don't get me started

I think it's great that the lady was so keen to share her experiences with you and boost you up a little (whether she meant to or not) However we feed our bubs, we're all members of the same club and it's lovely to be able to bond with a stranger over that common ground!