Thread: How do you know if milk drying up?

Default How do you know if milk drying up?

Hi Everyone!!

I have been feeding Avaleigh for nearly 12 weeks now and there were many times that I wanted to give it up but I am soo proud that I have continued along and am still planning to breastfeed for another few months.

For the past several weeks I have been back at the gym and just in the last 2 weeks I have been going more often than usual and feeling 150% better for doing it (I've lost 3 kg in 4 weeks too - YAY for me!!) But I am a bit worried about my milk drying up!!

Could this happen? (I am going to the gym 5 days a week) Can milk dry up from too much exercise/calorie burn or will my body keep on producing milk as long as Avaleigh is breastfeeding?

What are some signs of milk drying up? I still wake up in the mornings with very engorged and full breasts because we arent feeding during the night (8 hr sleeps - woohoo!) so I dont think it is happening but I just want to be aware of it if it could happen..

TIA

Congratulations on establishing breastfeeding
    It's unlikely that your milk will dry up and if you're waking with engorged breasts it sounds like you've got a great supply.
    Once bubs a few months old what usually happens is that your supply settles down so instead of having the over suply that you often get in early days you achieve a balance where your body has the right amount of milk for your babies' needs.
    When babies have a growth spurt they might feed constantly for a few days - this doesn't mean you have a supply issue or your milk isn't good enough, it's just nature's way of letting your body know that now your baby is bigger she needs more milk.
    Congrats on getting back to the gym It shouldn't affect your supply but make sure you replace all the extra fluids you lose when you excercise (same as you would if you weren't breastfeeding).

Hi,

Excercise is great stuff! There's absolutely no chance your milk could dry up - not from excercise, not from anything. It's a pretty tough thing. Veronica, I've followed your story, I think, since Avaleigh was born, and I've really admired the way you've coped with the ups and downs of mothering and breastfeeding. Enjoy the gym, and the good night's sleep, and don't worry that your milk will dry up

Barb

Thanks Dachlostar and Barb for you responses

I didnt think that your milk could dry up but I still needed it to be confirmed.

And a special thanks to you Barb. You have always been there answering my questions!! And yes I think it has been since Avaleigh was born I am very very happy that I kept on breastfeeding, especially through the really hard time I had a few weeks back. Everything is back on track now and I am loving every minute of it. And I have the most happiest baby!!

Wow Veronica, I just came it to post the same question!
    I have started back playing netball twice a week, and MIL told me to be careful that my milk doesnt dry up witht the exercise, so ofcourse, I am now paranoid about it drying up / losing my supply.
    I am aware that I need to keep my fluids up, and I also started drinking aktavite as a precaution. I guess I can stop worrying now!

Thanks also to Barb, as everytime i have a question, I come into the forum, and my questions are always asked by someone else, and answered by you.
    Thankyou again, you have eased my mind more times than I can remember!!

It's such a shame that society seems to have this view that milk dries up all the time. I know most of the women in our old playgroup "had their milk dry up". It seems that as soon as a baby hits a fussy period, there is always a number of people there to tell you that you musn't have enough milk. You hear it enough and you are going to believe it. Sadly then the cycle continues, because each person who mistakenly thinks she's run out of milk and tells others that it happened, causes more people to mistakenly believe the same thing. If only we could make it known that milk rarely dries up.

Veronica, well done on getting to 12 weeks. You have done an amazing job. I am sure you have many more months (even years?) of bfing ahead of you. Blueflower, well done to you too. I guess MILs don't know it all - could someone tell that to mine?

I thought this too hun as Im about to really hit the gym and start swimming - thanks for all the confirmation everyone. Melanie - you are right - its amazing how many "old wives tales" are still going around and taken for fact regarding breastfeeding. My mum mentioned that my "milk quality" might not be great right now - boy did I go off thanks to BB!
    V- congrats with the weight loss hun!

HI,

I think that "I lost my milk" is shorthand way for women to say that they had a number of problems or complex situations relating to breastfeeding that they probably don't want to go into with a an aquaintance - it's too personal and too complex so they just say "I lost my milk". Unfortunately other people believe that that is the case, and the myth is perpetuated
    Warm Regards
    Barb