View Poll Results: If your milk didn't come in, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would have no hesitation

37 32.17%
  • No, I would opt for formula

49 42.61%
  • I am not sure / undecided

29 25.22%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had no breastmilk, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm not taking sides or defending anything but I think the words used can sometimes come across as an attack while it looks like it is not one... not to point the finger because I don't mean that, but if someone said to you that something you would do repulses them, I think it would make them feel a need to defend themselves. Again not justifying anyone or anything, but the words we choose do effect the way in which people will respond. It's human nature and with the combined effect of the internet (somewhat anonymous) we don't hold back or stop and think about it as much as we would with a friend or in person. Also I noticed the tune of the conversation changed when the information was posted from the hospital website, so I don't think many actually read the website to see that it does have safety processes in place etc. We can still like it or not, but we can choose better words

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Fletch I am sorry that my question has made you feel this way. I honestly only question other peoples opinions to get a better idea of things.
    I can't remember exactly who said it but a few pages back it was pointed outthat the reason many may be put off by the idea of using human milk is because those of a different species don't carry the same human diseases. That makes sence to me.

Personally I don't think anyone is being pushy, I don't think anyone has posted anything to try & convince those who are agaisnt to come join those who are for. I think its just simply been a case of people try to shed some light on the issues raised.

Also I noticed the tune of the conversation changed when the information was posted from the hospital website, so I don't think many actually read the website to see that it does have safety processes in place etc. We can still like it or not, but we can choose better words
    Yup.. I still haven't read it But as soon as I read the quotes from it, my perspective changed.. as I said in my original post about my 1st, 2nd & 3rd thoughts on the matter.

I think there is a definite yuk factor to it.. some people won't share straws in a drink.. let alone feeding your baby with someone elses milk. But if safety processes are in place, I think it's definitely worth consideration to get past that yuk factor.. because ultimately it's going to be to the benefit of the little bubs.

Oh - I'll also add.. at our antenatal class, in our group discussions.. we were told to list the good things about breastfeeding.. and DH said "coz it tastes yum".. and I can't tell you the looks of revulsion on everyone's faces at the thought of tasting the breastmilk. Poor DH shrunk into his seat.. he had every intention of tasting the breastmilk coz he'd heard it was sweet! LOL. So some people really are revulsed by the thought of someone elses milk - even their own partners!

Debbie Lee Guest

Neil was scared of mine, Ivana. I would often threaten to squirt him and he'd run away!
    This was despite one of his very good mates encouraging him to have a taste. He would say, "Get her to eat some milo and it'll taste like a chocolate milkshake!!". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly
    I was just checking I wasn't sure ROFL

ps. It's pig!
    OMG!!! Are you sure!!! I would really appreciate it if you could give me your source for this and/or tell me where I can find more info. Are there non-pig alternatives? This is huge issue for Jewish and Muslim women. Is it just the gels ? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Anyway...... I was thinking about the whole issue of EBM v another woman breastfeeding. to start with I was thinking I couldn't cope with seeing another woman breastfeeding my baby because its such an intimate and cozy time and because of the bond between a breastfeeding mum and her baby but then I thought about it a bit more and I thought that this POV is mainly about my needs - what about my baby's needs? Why should I deny my baby that coziness and cuddleyness? In the long term or even the short term its not going to damage the bond I have with my baby. Then again, I have to say that I would never let any of my ILs breastfeed my baby.

In Kells OP about that, she says that it use to be used. Still be interested to know the reply from Kelly.

ah..... so it does - do they use artificial stuff now?

oh thats interesting Chloe I hadn't thought of it that way as far as cultural information goes.

OTT FJ have you ever had to help with AI on the job? I tell you extracting semen from a dog is pretty embarrassing stuff...

LOL Christy, a gf of mine had to help with a horse once (she was doing something to do with volunteer vet work on farms)... She said it was the most horrific experience of her life LOL!

Chloe, I too hadn't thought of the cultural ramifications. I imagine thats why its synthetic these days...

*hugs*
    Cailin

I admit I didn't read all of the site either, just the first bit to get an idea of what it was all about - but I figured that naturally they would have these safety processes in place.

I voted not sure, but I hope that I never have to even contemplate using it. I think I would have a lot of issues with it mainly because of the "I can't give my baby BM, so no-one else is doing it for me" sort of thing.

LMAO Christy! Yes I have actually. I worked for a Vet who mostly deals with breeders so c-sections & AI's were every day routine things there. Mind you, I don't see why you would spend so much time gaining a Veterinary degree so you can set up shop to **** dogs!

Fletch I think what was being questioned was women saying they would donate but not use it, not someone like you that wouldn't do either. It was more of a question of why would you be happy to give your milk to someone else's baby but not allow your baby to have someone elses' milk.

I think if you had enough milk to be donating it to a milk bank, then you really wouldn't need to use donated milk for your own baby, so it wouldn't really be an issue.

LOL at men being afraid of BM. My DH and I actually did try a little bit during the short period I BF, it was sweet, but I do prefer the taste of cows milk. My mum told me that once when she was BF my brother she hand expressed some into a cup and left it in the fridge. Dad came along and saw it and, thinking it was cows milk, drank it all! Then he said to mum "That milk tasted funny" and she started laughing and told him he just drank breastmilk

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly
    if someone said to you that something you would do repulses them, I think it would make them feel a need to defend themselves.
    Yes Kelly you are absolutely right, and i probably should have chosen softer words, But that was the first word that come to mind when i read the thread LOL!!!! I had no intentions of making anyone feel the need to justify their reasons against or for, and didnt think that i had would have to either, cos i alos felt that i needed to "defend" myself, for making a point that i wouldnt use the milk bank.
    The thought of giving my baby someone elses bodlily fluids just eeks me. Not just breast milk, but blood too. Perhaps maybe its the "unknown" of it all. And when the seeds of "what If", is planted in my head, it makes it hard to accept IYKWIM.

Fletch, Thank you, I think we are on the same wavelength of thinking
    Last edited by Rouge; August 31st, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

Ally, that's an interesting point you make about blood. I wonder whether people who wouldn't use donated EBM would or wouldn't allow their child a blood transfusion? It seems that the risks of something being passed on would be the same (or maybe even more with blood as the milk is pasteruised), although of course if blood is needed it is probably a life or death decision so the implications are much more serious. I'm just curious about this because it's not something I had considered.

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieR
    Ally, that's an interesting point you make about blood. I wonder whether people who wouldn't use donated EBM would or wouldn't allow their child a blood transfusion? It seems that the risks of something being passed on would be the same (or maybe even more with blood as the milk is pasteruised), although of course if blood is needed it is probably a life or death decision so the implications are much more serious. I'm just curious about this because it's not something I had considered.
    Mel, It does make an interesting point too. If it came down to a life and death situation, I (as i am sure you and many others may do also) would definately do anything to save my babies life, Heavens I would use absolutely ANYTHING in a Dire situation if it meant saving his life! Therefore if Donated breast milk was the ONLY thing to save the life of my prem baby, yes i would absolutely use it!!

This is a very interesting thread and I'm going to have to come out of the wood work and say that I voted no and I would not use a breastmilk bank. As with Ally it "just eeks me out" LOL. And yet I would choose to put something manufactured into my childs body... go figure LOL. That is just the way that I feel. TBH I understand that breast is best but I don't see any huge differences between FF and BF babies therefore I would be using formula before somebody elses BM.

And on a side note maybe people are more comfortable with donated blood, semen etc because it is on a more 'technical' term IYKWIM. Yes a BM Bank would adhere to strict standards but feeding your baby is such an emotive issue. And donated sperm, blood etc is generally used as a last resort - so without the blood transfusion you die or without the sperm you won't have a baby. Whereas there is a direct & easy alternative to donated BM - formula. Does this make sense...?? Just a few thoughts anyway.

TBH I understand that breast is best but I don't see any huge differences between FF and BF babies
    That's a bit contradictory tho. How is it best if there's no difference? Natural breastmilk is far better for the baby than anything manufactured. It's made with everything a baby needs, at the right time. Of course formula has it's place where people are unable to breastfeed, but we thrive on natural foods as both babies and adults, and given the choice between real food and artificial food, I think I'd be choosing real food.

Its interesting tho.. speaking of premmy babies.. apparently the milk produced by the mother of a premmy is actually different, to help the baby "catch up". If only they could store up this paticular breastmilk for those premmy bubs.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast